Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA 757 - 75L (NGBC "international" 757) 2009-10 (and onward - consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
LAA 757-200 / 75L (NGBC "international" 757) 2009-10 (and onward - consolidated)

A subfleet of AA's Boeing 757-223s have been modernized to the "NGBC" Business Class seat similar to that used in the 767-323ER and 777-223ER "NGBC" seat, in a two-across setup on each side of the aisle. These CIP 75Ls are generally seen on transatlantic services, as well as some others - though the "Domestic" versions can also serve longer distance destinations like South America. No WiFi, IFE is ten channel (not AVOD) and power is between some seat pairs with 110 VAC multiplug (no 5 VDC USB).

A further subset of these are scheduled for a Cabin Improvement Program that will provide fully horizontal flat Business seats. See 2015 sees "75L" / "international" 757 CIP for new Business seats?

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP

Effective 19NOV09 assuming planes are converted in time (seven converted so far, IIRC). Obviously, everything is subject to change. While routes to Europe and Salvador/Recife will never sub with a domestic 757 (they would substitute with either another 75L or a free 763), the rest will substitute with a domestic 757 whenever necessary. You are no guaranteed the NGBC product unless flying to Europe, Recife or Salvador (and, technically, there is no obligation on the part of AA to provide this particular product to the other destinations either, but, for crew scheduling purposes, it won't happen).

For those unfamiliar, the 75Ls feature the same C seats installed in the 777s and a brand-new Y seats with sliding seat cushion that improves virtual pitch, providing a much more comfortable seat for long-haul flying. Originally approved at a time when AA saw it as a tool to expand into more thin markets to Europe from JFK and O'Hare (Birmingham and Glasgow were rumored to return), the current economic situation has seen them being used as a tool to adjust capacity appropriately on low-demand routes to Europe. Thankfully AA will go through with the entire conversion program and have the fleet ready for its original purpose - new thin markets in Europe - when the market recovers. Until then, enjoy seeing them on short and medium sectors...

Code:
Domestic:
AA 2332 DFW-ORD

AA 971 JFK-MIA
AA 577 JFK-ORD
AA 769 JFK-SJU
AA 1635 JFK-SJU

AA 1873 MCO-MIA

AA 1412 MIA-JFK
AA 1758 MIA-MCO

AA 2333 ORD-DFW
AA 1362 ORD-JFK

AA 1416 SJU-JFK
AA 1692 SJU-JFK

LatAm/Caribbean:
AA 1443 BDA-JFK

AA 1384 BGI-JFK
AA 1078 BGI-MIA

AA 1674 CUN-JFK

AA 1444 JFK-BDA
AA 1385 JFK-BGI
AA 1671 JFK-CUN
AA 1781 JFK-PUJ

AA 1812 MBJ-MIA

AA 1089 MIA-BGI
AA 1791 MIA-MBJ
AA 980 MIA-SSA
AA 931 MIA-UIO
AA 967 MIA-UIO
AA 953 MIA-TGU

AA 1764 PUJ-JFK

AA 980 REC-MIA

AA 980 SSA-REC

AA 954 TGU-MIA

AA 932 UIO-MIA
AA 966 UIO-MIA

Europe:
AA 151 BCN-JFK

AA 171 BRU-JFK

AA 121 CDG-JFK

AA 93 DUB-ORD

AA 152 JFK-BCN
AA 172 JFK-BRU
AA 120 JFK-CDG

AA 55 MAN-ORD

AA 92 ORD-DUB
AA 54 ORD-MAN

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 25, 2013 at 11:03 am Reason: add code - NB route changes
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:58 pm

As always, excellent information. Thanks. ^
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Effective 19NOV09 assuming planes are converted in time (seven converted so far, IIRC). Obviously, everything is subject to change. While routes to Europe and Salvador/Recife will never sub with a domestic 757 (they would substitute with either another 75L or a free 763), the rest will substitute with a domestic 757 whenever necessary. You are no guaranteed the NGBC product unless flying to Europe, Recife or Salvador (and, technically, there is no obligation on the part of AA to provide this particular product to the other destinations either, but, for crew scheduling purposes, it won't happen).

I'm surprised they don't through them on BOS-SFO/LAX to compete with Virgin America's recliner F product.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 29, 2009 at 9:45 am Reason: truncated repeated post
Old Jul 27, 2009, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by sts603
I'm surprised they don't through them on BOS-SFO/LAX to compete with Virgin America's recliner F product.
Two reasons:

1) The product is non-advertised on these routes except for Europe and Brazil. AA is not going to guarantee that your plane won't suddenly switch to a domestic F plane.
2) The schedules are worked around accommodating the European/Brazil/Ecuador flying. Its not easy to squeeze in a trans-con.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:28 pm

Anyone interested there are some good pictures of the 75L first class over on airliners.net. Seats look similar, like folks have said, to the 767 and 777 seats. With only four rows, pitch is greater than a domestic 757. With that said, the pitch does not look as great as a 767 with simliar seats. Also, aisle width looks alittle less on the 75L versus a domestic 757.

There was talk over there that the 75L is flying on one of the BOS/LAX routes. Also, AA is starting the domestic 757 upgrades. With that said, will the AB side in first lose any pitch when AA adds an additional 2 seats in first?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by sts603
Or lax-sju-lax, 7hrs. Ive been looking at the F seats for this week, sju-lax, F looks empty, before the stickers kick in. The ones that buy F or the exp/plt/gld s that get an upgrade and at least enjoy that long of a flight.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Just flew back from NRT this past weekend, and asked the FAs about the 75L. They said everyone (meaning international FAs) hates working the newly-configured aircraft, not because of the seats, but because the FAs are expected to deliver a full IFS meal service from the aircraft's tiny forward galley.

She said that despite some modifications and the installation of chillers (at the FAs' insistance), the galleys are just too cramped, and during the meal service the galley FA doesn't have enough room to prepare the food, while the aisle FAs keep bumping into each other as they come and go with the service elements.

So there you have it. The equipment is fine, but the FAs don't like the fact that it operates on IFS routes. And I totally sympathize with them--the 772 and 763 galleys are much better work environments!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:52 pm

I just flew AA2041 JFK-MIA today and got the B75L. Tail number was 5EX and you can tell from the gate that it is a B75L because it has the ER (Extended Range) letters in the main landing gear. Don't know why flight AA2041 has not been included in the list provided here, but it has been a B75L flight for the last two months.

It was a much needed upgrade to the B757 fleet, which gives AA a much better product to compete on long flights.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
[SIZE=1]international FAs) hates working the newly-configured aircraft, not because of the seats, but because the FAs are expected to deliver a full IFS meal service from the aircraft's tiny forward galley.
I'll acknowledge that the 757 galley is small, but are you telling me they've got problems serving a mere 16 meals over a 1 1/2 hour meal service to Europe/deep SA? I'd like a bigger office too, but I get done what I have to in a reasonable space. The 777 galley feeds 53 between F and J, 767 feeds 30--still basically double the new 75L. They manage 22 meals now, I think they can deal with 16 and a bit nicer presentation.

What concerns me are the stories of having to block off an aft lav coming back west, does anyone know if this is a fact/SOP?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PeoDeMIA
I'll acknowledge that the 757 galley is small, but are you telling me they've got problems serving a mere 16 meals over a 1 1/2 hour meal service to Europe/deep SA? I'd like a bigger office too, but I get done what I have to in a reasonable space. The 777 galley feeds 53 between F and J, 767 feeds 30--still basically double the new 75L. They manage 22 meals now, I think they can deal with 16 and a bit nicer presentation.

What concerns me are the stories of having to block off an aft lav coming back west, does anyone know if this is a fact/SOP?

There is a huge difference between those 22 meals on short-haul and serving 16 meals on IFS routes. Short-haul routes that still offer a meal (such as LFS, Latin Flagship Service to/from Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Peru; also Haiti and the DR) have a single-tray setup plus entree.

By contrast, the multi-course IFS meals are much, much more elaborate, with many service elements: separate appetizer, salad, entree, bread service, sundae/fuit courses, follow-on breakfast or afternoon meal. IFS meals also have lots of extra accoutrements like the silver coffeepots, serving dishes, tongs, stacks of plates, etc. I'm assuming that because the 75L is 2-class IFS, the J meal will be the "upgraded" Business Class meal service like on the 763, meaning a separate appetizer course, real sundaes (with all the toppings), marinated cheese antipasto, entrees plated on board, baked-on-board cookies on the westbound follow-on service, and on and on. That's a LOT of stuff! I've watched the FAs serve this meal on the 763, and there is so much complexity that they have to adjust the service carts in the galley several times over the course of the meal---removing some carts, putting away the appetizer carts to bring out the sundae prep, etc. Lots of juggling things around in limited space.

Now, imagine doing the same thing in the broom-closet galley of the 75L! (And remember, lots of those service elements are going to be the same regardless of how many pax--the serving utensils, teapots, sundae toppings, etc., all have to be there, and are the same size regardless.) I would argue that the 75L galley is less than half the square footage of the 763 galley, if you include ovens, chillers, and cart storage, as well as space near the exit doors. Now picture 1 galley FA plus two aisle FAs rushing around trying to deliver everything! I feel so sorry for them!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
When it comes to reward seats then how is this cabin up front classified? J or F? especially for those international destinations?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:18 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Depends on if it's flying domestically or international. They are J if international, F if domestic. Just like normal.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:26 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Well I am sorry to disagree Dear but I have done several flights over the years (IAD-LAX) on a 757 and had the complete multi-course meal. Starter - salad cart - entree plated and served and then the sundae cart. This was on a regular 22 seat F flight. I have even seen such a service done DFW - SEA and YVR which I suppose is shorter.

I sometimes think that some of the International FAs have been on wide body for a long time and have forgotten how to serve on a single aisle aircraft. I wish that I did not have to admit to it but the 757 is like going back to the days of the 707s.

Originally Posted by ESpen36
There is a huge difference between those 22 meals on short-haul and serving 16 meals on IFS routes. Short-haul routes that still offer a meal (such as LFS, Latin Flagship Service to/from Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Peru; also Haiti and the DR) have a single-tray setup plus entree.

By contrast, the multi-course IFS meals are much, much more elaborate, with many service elements: separate appetizer, salad, entree, bread service, sundae/fuit courses, follow-on breakfast or afternoon meal. IFS meals also have lots of extra accoutrements like the silver coffeepots, serving dishes, tongs, stacks of plates, etc. I'm assuming that because the 75L is 2-class IFS, the J meal will be the "upgraded" Business Class meal service like on the 763, meaning a separate appetizer course, real sundaes (with all the toppings), marinated cheese antipasto, entrees plated on board, baked-on-board cookies on the westbound follow-on service, and on and on. That's a LOT of stuff! I've watched the FAs serve this meal on the 763, and there is so much complexity that they have to adjust the service carts in the galley several times over the course of the meal---removing some carts, putting away the appetizer carts to bring out the sundae prep, etc. Lots of juggling things around in limited space.

Now, imagine doing the same thing in the broom-closet galley of the 75L! (And remember, lots of those service elements are going to be the same regardless of how many pax--the serving utensils, teapots, sundae toppings, etc., all have to be there, and are the same size regardless.) I would argue that the 75L galley is less than half the square footage of the 763 galley, if you include ovens, chillers, and cart storage, as well as space near the exit doors. Now picture 1 galley FA plus two aisle FAs rushing around trying to deliver everything! I feel so sorry for them!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Liking the 75L from MIA and ORD to JFK. With respect do the FAs doing dinner service on the 757, in speaking with the purser on a recent JFK/BCN flight that is soon to go from a 763 to a 757 he told me that the FAs are dreading these flights. Having only one aisle and trying to do the dinner service, particularly the lengthy service in J, with paxs wanting to get up and go to the lav has been a nightmare for them. In Y its just as worst, one when considers the a/c will usually be packed to the gills and needing to push beverage and food carts down the aisle mutliple times during flight. Its a constant struggle between completing the service and having paxs with that "I need to go now" look and attitude on their face.

The purser also told me that while they try to reserve the back row for crew rest, if the flight is full the seats are taken. And unlike the 763 or 777 where the crew have a separate curtain or contained rest area, the crew if they do get seats to rest are out in the open. He had told me that many of the JFK International FAs are bidding for flights out of ORD now to get out of 757 TATL 757 service.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The purser also told me that while they try to reserve the back row for crew rest, if the flight is full the seats are taken. And unlike the 763 or 777 where the crew have a separate curtain or contained rest area, the crew if they do get seats to rest are out in the open. He had told me that many of the JFK International FAs are bidding for flights out of ORD now to get out of 757 TATL 757 service.

Ah...yes, I had forgotten about crew rest. That's a big deal for FAs, and rightly so. On my last 772 flight, the FAs used 4A and 4J for crew rest, presumably in addition to the separate compartment. I suppose that the separate enclosed cabin in the middle of Y makes some of the FAs feel claustrophobic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.