Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Boeing 757-223 (Domestic 752) Planned Refurbishments (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
This thread is closed for new posts.

The first refurbished Domestic 752 (24 F seats) entered service in 2009.

For reports on the rollout, see:

Boeing 757 (752) Refurb Domestic Config / New Seats as of Oct 2009 (consolidated)

For information about the new International 75L Configuration, see:

Reconfigured "international" 757 "L" / 75L Debut Jan 26 2009

~Moderator
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Starwood Gold

Apologies if this has already been covered extensively, my search terms were either too broad or produced error messages.

Later this week, I'm flying the redeye LAX-ORD in a 757 in F. I'm dreading it because 757 F is the worst I've experienced for napping with its limited recline and non-existent footrests. I know that AA is planning some improvements to the 757 fleet, but as far as I know, the improvements in F are limited to adding two more seats, correct? They're not, by any chance, upgrading the seats to something more comfortable, are they?

I realize this is all basically a moot point because, even if there are meaningful upgrades to the F product, I'm highly unlikely to be in an upgraded cabin since the process just begun. But I was just curious if there was any reason to hold out hope for an improved product in the future.

Thanks, and again apologies for raising a topic that I'm sure has already been discussed extensively.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

The first refurbished Domestic 752 (24 F seats) entered service on 10/18/09. There will be only one of these refurbished aircraft in circulation until sometime in 2010. For reports on the rollout, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

For information about the new International 75L Configuration, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...26-2009-a.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Mar 15, 2010 at 11:48 pm
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the AA press release on the 757 upgrades:

http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pr...upgrades.jhtml

Nothing about new F seats, but it does say new coach seats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

The 4/24/07 press release can now be accessed here:
http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=806

dstan

AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jun 12, 2009 at 3:14 pm
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Thanks. That's what I had been looking at as well. I don't pretend to have any understanding of the costs involved in replacing these seats, but I can't imagine that it would be too expensive and they are such an inferior product (even relative to MD-80 F, in my opinion) that I can't understand why they wouldn't take this chance to do so. But, I guess that's airline logic for you.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Technically incorrect, the announcement states they are adding two new F seats

However, I suspect the "new" F seats will match the same sad beige seats that we have now.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria

However, I suspect the "new" F seats will match the same sad beige seats that we have now.
It would be lots of fun if the two new seats were 762 F seats but the rest of the cabin remained the awful 757 F product. It would be a great way to incent people to buy early in order to snare those two seats.

Seriously, though, even on the existing seats, how hard would it be to increase the recline by ten degrees and add a footrest? I think I could probably do that with a standard toolkit and I have trouble with most Ikea furniture.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
I totally agree with you because those F seats are uncomfortable; however, I would prefer lumbar support cushions over leg rests.
I'm 5'10 and even the leg rest on 763s don't extend far enough for me - 777s are a dream, but that's another story.

Maybe AA can provide extra pillows or something.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Plat
Hm, maybe this is why the 757 seatmap for one of my flights in late March isn't showing up online.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jakuda
Hm, maybe this is why the 757 seatmap for one of my flights in late March isn't showing up online.
I seriously doubt the refurb is the reason.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I seriously doubt the refurb is the reason.
A quick call to CS revealed that it was an equipment change to a different 757. Maybe the original one is getting refurb'ed?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
I heard from an FA in F on a recent 757 flight that the upgrades would include new seats in F... IIRC they said it would be similar to those found on the 737... but then again, no FA I know is ever an official spokesman for AA :-)... maybe they were telling me what they would LIKE to see.

Just as long as they dont mess up the legroom of seat 9D they can do whatever they want!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Dan5000
Seriously, though, even on the existing seats, how hard would it be to increase the recline by ten degrees and add a footrest? I think I could probably do that with a standard toolkit and I have trouble with most Ikea furniture.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT ask for footrests!!! I have never seen one on any aircraft that wasn't extremely painful to people over about 5'10" (I am 6'1") as the airline seat manufacturers are too stupid to figure out how to recess them when folded up, and they bang into the front of your leg. BA has the worst ones in their cramped Y seats, and it can get very painful banging into the footrest all the time.
Of course a tall person can't put the footrest down either, because it then blocks any space for their feet.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, the press release says "additional" F seats, not "new" F seats:

The 757 enhancements include the installation of two additional First Class seats, which increases the number of First Class seats from 22 to 24 on each aircraft.
Wonder if the old 777 J seats would fit? Restrict the recline and space them at 40 inches of pitch - wouldn't be any worse than the old non-ER 762 J seats, that were spaced at 40 inches.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by billgrates3
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT ask for footrests!!! I have never seen one on any aircraft that wasn't extremely painful to people over about 5'10" (I am 6'1") as the airline seat manufacturers are too stupid to figure out how to recess them when folded up, and they bang into the front of your leg. BA has the worst ones in their cramped Y seats, and it can get very painful banging into the footrest all the time.
Of course a tall person can't put the footrest down either, because it then blocks any space for their feet.
? Have you flown the domestic OZ QF J seats? 38" pitch, leg and foot rests and IMO pretty comfortable for a short to mid haul flight. Something similar could be a good step forward without loss of capacity...
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold

I'd like new seats of the same design, if not new seats of a different design. They're not that bad if they're in good repair. However the last time I flew in 757 F I could see the innards of the seat in front of me. Seems to be a trend for me, IME.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I forgot to mention, footrests are ok in F or J as there is usually enough room for them to fold out of the way, and plenty of legroom, but in coach they are a menace to all tall mankind!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.