Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best partner value for AA miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Best partner value for AA miles?

With low tax/surcharge, low mile req, good award seat availability...For flights to Europe and Asia.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Not BA. Just rule that sucker out.

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Not BA. Just rule that sucker out.

Cheers.
yup, I`ve heard about BA surcharges...that`s about it what I know about the partners.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Mileage requirements do not vary from partner to partner; the Partner award chart is based on the starting and ending zones of travel.

Surcharges are collected only for travel on BA and IB.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Mileage requirements do not vary from partner to partner; the Partner award chart is based on the starting and ending zones of travel.

Surcharges are collected only for travel on BA and IB.
ok, thanks
where is the value in terms of service/comfort?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Subjective question. Best value for my tastes are CX and EY in any cabin except Y or Y+
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
BA has huge surcharges, IB considerably lower surcharges.

For my buck, I'd say Business or First, CX, maybe followed by QF in the A380 followed by the converted 747s, etc. and on to TN to Tahiti - especially when they are finished with the CIP - IB, MH, LA etc. (to a great extent, it depends on where you are headed, as well.)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"
Just got rid of my Avios on hotels. Out of that business.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
My picks of the easy to find awards...
1. CX First - 67.5K (and $5.00) for one way US-Asia.
2. EY First - 90K (and $3.60) for one way IAD/JFK-AUH-MLE/CMB/BOM/etc...

And the more difficult...
3. QF First - 72.K for one way US-SYD/MEL

And if you are going to/from YVR and can't sleep...
4. CX First - 32.5K for (most of US-JFK-YVR)
Old May 1, 2013, 9:02 am

CX J

The best use of AAdvantage miles, IMHO, is the 01:30am nonstop YYZ-HKG, connecting to wherever you want in Asia. CX J is sumptuous. I pinch myself when I do that trip for only 110,000 miles and $125. YYZ-HKG-BKK 21h.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AA offseason Y to Europe is 40K round-trip; yes, I know people will at redeeming Y, but these days Y can be around $1000 USD or more. If you have elite status, can score Main Cabin Extra and it's a daytime flight to/from the East Coast (in other words, you're not going to sleep on a ski slope anyways), I think the marginal benefit of mediocre business class food, early boarding, etc. isn't worth 60,000 miles to me.

This isn't a partner award, though (though I guess you could fly AB, the extra taxes make BA a non-starter; no MCE there though).

In my case, I've redeemed 80K miles from AS+AA (same pricing) to get to Europe with my daughter over Christmas/New Year's; yeah,I expect FTers to do a bunch of at being among hoi polloi in Y. I just wanted a metal tube to get us there (I've had my fun on CX, but I don't generate 6 figures in mileage a year), and I figure that business class is usually a multiple of coach- 80K seems pretty decent for getting TWO people quite a long ways.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 1, 2013 at 9:34 am
Old May 1, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
CX or EY First Class

I recently booked EY First Class LHR-AUH-LHR for 80K and minimal fees. Great use of miles, and dirt cheap compared to BA!

CX First Class ORD-HKG-ORD is another no-brainer in my opinion...
Old May 1, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by SFO777
And the more difficult...
3. QF First - 72.K for one way US-SYD/MEL
Or make strategic use of the ultra-cheap SW Pacific-Asia 2 F rate (and greater availability) to fly Australia/New Zealand to HKG via SYD in F on the A380. 45K to close the OJ on my DL award OMA-WLG//HKG-OMA.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AA offseason Y to Europe is 40K round-trip; yes, I know people will at redeeming Y, but these days Y can be around $1000 USD or more. If you have elite status, can score Main Cabin Extra and it's a daytime flight to/from the East Coast (in other words, you're not going to sleep on a ski slope anyways), I think the marginal benefit of mediocre business class food, early boarding, etc. isn't worth 60,000 miles to me.

This isn't a partner award, though (though I guess you could fly AB, the extra taxes make BA a non-starter; no MCE there though).

In my case, I've redeemed 80K miles from AS+AA (same pricing) to get to Europe with my daughter over Christmas/New Year's; yeah,I expect FTers to do a bunch of at being among hoi polloi in Y. I just wanted a metal tube to get us there (I've had my fun on CX, but I don't generate 6 figures in mileage a year), and I figure that business class is usually a multiple of coach- 80K seems pretty decent for getting TWO people quite a long ways.
The 20K off-peak Coach award between North America and Europe is valid on any AA partner that flies between the two zones, as long as SAAver seats are available during the off-peak period. Besides BA -- which should be avoided due to the high surcharges -- one could fly AB, AY, IB, TN, and 9W.

In addition, the free "gateway" stopover option can also be used in connection with those awards, subject to the published-fare rules of the "over-water" carrier. So, for example, CDG-LAX (lengthy stopover) - Hawaii can be had for 20K miles one way, utilizing TN and AA.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by wolf539
I recently booked EY First Class LHR-AUH-LHR for 80K and minimal fees. Great use of miles, and dirt cheap compared to BA!

CX First Class ORD-HKG-ORD is another no-brainer in my opinion...
Completely agree this is a great option. 15 hours, but gets you there well rested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.