Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP moving to Australia - switch to Qantas miles or keep AA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
EXP moving to Australia - switch to Qantas miles or keep AA?

Hello - I'm moving to Australia in about a month or so. I'm EXP on American (second year in a row) and have 8 unused systemwide upgrades that I won't be able to use on Qantas planes crossing the ocean. Its now Mid-Feb and i'm already qualified for Gold for 2012 and will qualify for Platinum by the time I head to Australia once again in about a month.

Should I keep earning AA miles or should I start earning miles in a Qantas account going forward? I'm expected to live in Australia for about two years before I move back to NYC.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Stick with AA; once you see the QFF redemption rates you will understand why.

If you are booking some cheap tickets on QF, then some may be ineligable for AA earning and for those you may want to consider a QF account just for those odd flights

You can use the systemwide upgrades if you travel to/from USA via Japan
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:43 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Stick with AA; once you see the QFF redemption rates you will understand why.

If you are booking some cheap tickets on QF, then some may be ineligable for AA earning and for those you may want to consider a QF account just for those odd flights

You can use the systemwide upgrades if you travel to/from USA via Japan
or china!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
You will appreciate that my reply is biased
Keep the AA account as your primary.

Where in Australia are you locating?
From Perth the time cost of routing to the USA via HKG or NRT is well worth the benefit of avoiding LAX and SYD.

But when you get here - sign up for the Woolworth's (grocery chain) and Qantas partner program. The QF account is worthwhile for crediting the unavoidable QF E or Q class or regional CX flights as well as picking up the "odd" mileage from grocery purchases.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
QF and AA wont give you equivalent status to each other's FF programs unfortunately, but at least you can still get the Oneworld beenfits by using your AA EXP.

I was on the understanding that to retain any elite status above normal for following years (eg QF silver+ or AA Gold+) you'll need to fly a min of 4 segments with a QF or AA coded flight respectively.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I believe that Australian residents have to pay to be members of QFF, while non-residents do not, so I'd be sure to join while you're still in the States or using a US address if you are planning to. (I don't know details like how much and how often you have to pay.)

Even though some (though not all) cheap QF fares don't earn any AA miles, QF still does recognize oneworld Sapphire status when flying on those fares.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Definitley stick with AA.I remain an AA plat even though if I switched back to QFF I could easily qualify for their top tier-as we fly mainly long haul premium cabins.If flying discounted coach then easier often on AA.I still get more availability of awards(with less taxes) on AA compared with QFF.
They have not enforced the 4 segment rule,QF does.But there are always AA codeshares on their transpac flights.As said before travelling via NRT can still get you AA sectors and the ability to use EVIPs.
Also the advice to join Woolworths Every day Rewards card is good.Link your card to your QFF account(which you should open for reasons already given)and you can almost certainly get something out of it.The EDR card will earn you points at Woollies supermarkets,discount dept store,liquor outlets,gas stations etc so you should be able to rack up a few points.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by ashill
I believe that Australian residents have to pay to be members of QFF, while non-residents do not, so I'd be sure to join while you're still in the States or using a US address if you are planning to. (I don't know details like how much and how often you have to pay.)
Once you join, you no longer have to pay, regardless of whether you had to pay to join in the first place. It's a one-time thing for Australian residents.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
The only potential benefit of going to QF's FFP is that IIRC after a certain threshold you become a lifetime elite member which will provide you with an equivalent OW elite status allowing you to access Admiral's Clubs in the US without paying the annual renewal fee.

Saying that, I'd say stick with AA.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:57 pm

Australians don't have to pay either if they join through Woolworths.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Another vote here to stick with AA, for all the abovementioned reasons.

Two years pass quickly. It may be better to build up AA status and miles for later use if you end up out of the QF primary service area after your time in OZ.
However, it is not an either or choice. Join QF to credit miles from non-flying or low AA points earning situations, or to grab special bonus offers, or credit card miles, etc.

Also, check with your employer for corporate Qantas club discounts, which may be advantageous.

Ebnjoy your tim,e in Australia
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA 2MM ExP
Another vote here to stick with AA.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:01 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Anyone can join Qantas FF program by joining Everyday Rewards through Woolworths. When you join EDR you have the option to add your Qantas FF account number or to open a new Qantas FF account for no charge.

If living in Australia, EDR is a good way to keep the Qantas FF account ticking over so those cheap non-AA-earning fares can have a home.

AAdvantage is a far better program for earn/burn rates for many people. But as with any program, there are all sorts of variations depending on number and type of flights taken.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:04 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by funkyr
I was on the understanding that to retain any elite status above normal for following years (eg QF silver+ or AA Gold+) you'll need to fly a min of 4 segments with a QF or AA coded flight respectively.
Qantas does enforce the 4-flight rule, though will also accept flights on Jetstar as qualifying flights. While AA's membership rules does include the 4-flight rule, they have not been enforcing it. I have retailed AA EXP status while living in Australia and without setting a foot inside an AA aircraft for almost 3 years.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks to everyone for their great advice! I'm sticking with AA, and signed up for QF's program from here in the states (and will do Woolworth's when I get there)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.