Wiki Posts
Search

AA 787 delivery dates at risk - again!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA 787 delivery dates at risk - again!

Not a surprise, but this article is a worthy--if sobering--read to see just how much is wrong with the 787 "fail-liner", including the potential lack of ETOPS certification.

Also it appears that the humidity in the cabin will have to be reduced

Let's hope they fix everything soon--or that AA buys something else to rejuvenate its aging fleet!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Good. Maybe AA start looking into Airbus .
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Same article being discussed in this thread in Newsstand, along with its broader (i.e., beyond just AA) implications:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newss...s-pile-up.html
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Some analysts are saying that the first delivery might not take place now until 2012. Also analysts are saying that ramping up production will be much slower than originally anticipate. Now these "analysts" may or may not be right, but if they are we likely won't see an AA 787 until at least 2015, maybe later.

For all of you who love the 762/763 your a/c looks to be around for awhile to come.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Does anyone have a seat map of the 787?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
For all of you who love the 762/763 your a/c looks to be around for awhile to come.
777 deliveries start-up again in two years. I doubt AA is going to wait out the 787s. They will have no choice but to look at other avenues - primarily more 777s and the A330.

And I don't buy the BS that AA "will never buy an Airbus." AA will do what makes the most financial sense, and the A330 makes great sense for AA, especially to Latin America - it is a good performer on medium-haul, great cargo capacity, great range, and can be configured in a good high density layout.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: Ex-HHonors Diamond (now nothing), former AA EXP
Originally Posted by MAH4546
777 deliveries start-up again in two years. I doubt AA is going to wait out the 787s. They will have no choice but to look at other avenues - primarily more 777s and the A330.

And I don't buy the BS that AA "will never buy an Airbus." AA will do what makes the most financial sense, and the A330 makes great sense for AA, especially to Latin America - it is a good performer on medium-haul, great cargo capacity, great range, and can be configured in a good high density layout.
Actually, it probably makes more sense to just order additional 777's since they are already geared up for flight ops and maintenance of that aircraft. Why would they introduce a new airplane like the A330 when the 777 can handle the same or greater capacity?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As a part-time Seattlite, I'd hate to see this business go to Airbus, but I agree 100% with MAH4546 that AA have proven that they will do what's needed to remain as viable as possible, which could involve Airbus. I would posit that foregoing a large capital expense (like long-haul fleet renewal) for another couple of years would be advantageous to AA from a cash flow perspective, and I'd imagine they have exacted some modicum of financial concession out of Boeing for the delays as well. Even with all of that placed to the side, I don't think the A330 is a good long-term alternative for the 787 if for no reason than because the A330 is a 20 year old design that is already being replaced with the A350XWB--if the A330 would be competitive with the 787 on a cost basis, Airbus would have saved billions of Euros in R&D by avoiding a redesign (which they sort of tried to do with the first iteration of the A350, before being forced to go back and come up with the XWB). Just my two pence!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Microwave
As a part-time Seattlite, I'd hate to see this business go to Airbus, but I agree 100% with MAH4546 that AA have proven that they will do what's needed to remain as viable as possible, which could involve Airbus. I would posit that foregoing a large capital expense (like long-haul fleet renewal) for another couple of years would be advantageous to AA from a cash flow perspective, and I'd imagine they have exacted some modicum of financial concession out of Boeing for the delays as well. Even with all of that placed to the side, I don't think the A330 is a good long-term alternative for the 787 if for no reason than because the A330 is a 20 year old design that is already being replaced with the A350XWB--if the A330 would be competitive with the 787 on a cost basis, Airbus would have saved billions of Euros in R&D by avoiding a redesign (which they sort of tried to do with the first iteration of the A350, before being forced to go back and come up with the XWB). Just my two pence!
Agreed - my thoughts have always been that the A350 XWB will the winner of the 787 vs. A350 battle, at least from a consumer standpoint. I'm not one of those clamoring for AA to pick up A380s, but I would be very, very happy if they decided to switch from 787s to A350s.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
This is quite sad news, not at all surprising, but still sad. the dismay is greater because the A350XWB is too far away to be announcing bad news. The industry, and AA need to be replacing the 767 quickly, as well as other aging aircraft. The 787 and A350 are desperately needed but they'll not be soon. As others have said, we should resign ourselves to more years of 767.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
In my experience, customers buying A330s today (and there are quite a few) are typically either 1) augmenting an existing fleet or 2) looking to bridge the gap to the A350.

I haven't seen any large A330 orders from new operators intending to operate the aircraft for the long term in the past few years.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by stu52
Actually, it probably makes more sense to just order additional 777's since they are already geared up for flight ops and maintenance of that aircraft. Why would they introduce a new airplane like the A330 when the 777 can handle the same or greater capacity?
Because the A330 is actually a much more efficient performer on shorter/medium-haul routes than the 777. The 777 performs its best on routes over 8 hours, the A330 is designed to be just as efficient on a 3 hour hop to Bogota as it is on a 9 hour hop to Madrid.

I personally think AA should switch those 772 orders to 77W or 77Ls. In fact, I think that it is very likely that will happen. I haven't heard anything, I'm just guessing - it makes no sense to take deliveries of 772s in this day and age.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by elpi
Good. Maybe AA start looking into Airbus .
Airbus new products are perfect and on schedule, Like the A380.
AA could not wait to dump their A300-600 before end of useful life. Great for cargo haul, and that was it.

The article is refering to the existing 787-8.
What AA has on order is 787-9 and NOT one has been even built yet. It will be several years before AA gets a -9.
AA may need to lease some 767-300ER's, re-assign some of the 762-200ER's from Transcon to International (where they use to be used) or Boeing will need to give them a deal on more 777.
I guess A330 is also an option to lease. I doubt AA would purchase with the A350 coming, when, 5 years????
How about a lease for 747-400ER's for NRT and LHR routes.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by zman
re-assign some of the 762-200ER's from Transcon to International (where they use to be used)
Not going to happen. The 762s are not ETOPS rated.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by zman
Airbus new products are perfect and on schedule, Like the A380.
You'd think they'd have gotten the A380 right after $300 billion of illegal subsidies from European governments...Airbus is known as Airbutt for a reason! =P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.