Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA/BA/IB TATL expansion JFK-BUD, ORD-HEL, LHR-SAN (BA), MAD-LAX (IB) et al

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA/IB TATL expansion JFK-BUD, ORD-HEL, LHR-SAN (BA), MAD-LAX (IB) et al

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:01 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
Originally Posted by allset2travel
+1.
Not to mention the heavy APD @LHR
No APD at LHR for connections.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:00 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Has anybody flown IB's LAX-MAD yet?

IB's LAX-MAD has been operational for awhile now but I haven't seen any FTer's reports/critiques/tips.

I'll be flying LAX-MAD-FCO FCO-MAD-LAX using a business milesaaver award.

(FYI: I had asked upthread about what to expect for the award's taxes/fees - I was charged $77 + the $25 telephone ticketing fee).

Have any of you flown this route yet?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sk3
IB's LAX-MAD has been operational for awhile now but I haven't seen any FTer's reports/critiques/tips.

I'll be flying LAX-MAD-FCO FCO-MAD-LAX using a business milesaaver award.

(FYI: I had asked upthread about what to expect for the award's taxes/fees - I was charged $77 + the $25 telephone ticketing fee).

Have any of you flown this route yet?
Yeah I agree, there haven't been many posts and I haven't seen a trip report. I'm flying LAX-MAD in August in business, and would love some more info on the Iberia experience.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:33 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by dyrewolf31
Yeah I agree, there haven't been many posts and I haven't seen a trip report. I'm flying LAX-MAD in August in business, and would love some more info on the Iberia experience.
Yeah, I've been reading this forum, BAEC's, and the "Other Euro" forum, as well as the TB and MP sites - and I've seen nada....

My trip isn't until the fall tho - so maybe you can be the one who preps me
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sk3
Yeah, I've been reading this forum, BAEC's, and the "Other Euro" forum, as well as the TB and MP sites - and I've seen nada....

My trip isn't until the fall tho - so maybe you can be the one who preps me
I will try to put together some semblance of a trip report
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors DIA, Fairmont GLD they make me feel special!
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31
I did this flight last month in J. It was (sort of) great. The outbound crew were very inattentive, old and grouchy and the LAX lounge was the pits.

The lounge in Madrid T4S is fantastic! And our crew back was great with super service. They were all very excited to be coming to L.A.. This flight was great and we arrived 30 minutes early!

The seats are great - as well as the food, wine and entertainment. They give you a wine menu or download it from Iberia before you go.

Expertflyer showed the J class quite empty, but it was full both ways. The A340-600 was our outbound - and an A340-300 was the return that had a self-service bar in the back. The tail camera on the 600 is pretty neat.

Its a great European connection and very non-chaotic. You'll enjoy it.

Last edited by bmxaggie; Jun 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmxbboy
Expertflyer showed the J class quite empty, but it was full both ways. The A340-600 was our outbound - and an A380-300 was the return that had a self-service bar in the back. The tail camera on the 600 is pretty neat.
Typo alert: you meant A340-300, not A380 (IB does not have any). Wishful thinking, though, as the A380 rocks.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sk3
It's exactly like any other North American IB flight, so no need for a separate report.

I flew it last in the last week of May and agree with all bmxbboy has to say, and the fully horizontal lie-flat seats are excellent, as well as the A340 (quieter than 777 and no middle seats). In my 10+ IB transatlantic flights crews have been from amazing to adequate, but have ever had a bad crew. Also, I have never had to settle for anything but my choice of mains. Only negative is that the otherwise excellent MAD lounges don't offer free Wi-Fi (only free Ethernet--try that on a tablet!).

In summary IB J on this route is way above AA but IMHO not as good as BA.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:01 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by bmxbboy
...The A340-600 was our outbound - and an A340-300 was the return that had a self-service bar in the back. The tail camera on the 600 is pretty neat...
Thanks for the report. I had thought that only the 340 served this route, interesting to know the 346 does too. And sorry to hear about the TBIT lounge at LAX.

Originally Posted by hillrider
..the fully horizontal lie-flat seats are excellent, as well as the A340 (quieter than 777 and no middle seats..
And thank you too for your post. But what do you mean there are no middle seats? (I picked 3D).

Did your trip bring you to FCO by chance? If so, any notes on IB's lounge at FCO? (I'm assuming there is one for departures).

I'm also curious to find out if when transferring at MAD between T4s and T4 if I'll encounter the full body scanners at security - if anyone cares to comment.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sk3
Thanks for the report. I had thought that only the 340 served this route, interesting to know the 346 does too. And sorry to hear about the TBIT lounge at LAX.
I flew on a 346 (loved the tail cam as well) and while the lounge isn't wonderful, it's new, quite adequate, and with decent food. The view isn't great as they're doing construction in front of it at the moment. Ooops, I was probably in the First section as I'm emerald, so my experience might have been different.

Originally Posted by sk3
And thank you too for your post. But what do you mean there are no middle seats? (I picked 3D).
AA's 777 is "AB DEG HJ"; E is what I call a middle seat, i.e. one which is neither window nor aisle. And with AA's seats, you're kind of trapped when your neighbors recline to sleep. IB's 340/346 are "AC DH JL" so there's no middle seat. Again, this in J-cabin.

Originally Posted by sk3
Did your trip bring you to FCO by chance? If so, any notes on IB's lounge at FCO? (I'm assuming there is one for departures).
No sorry, it's been a while since I left from FCO internationally.

Originally Posted by sk3
I'm also curious to find out if when transferring at MAD between T4s and T4 if I'll encounter the full body scanners at security - if anyone cares to comment.
No, for health's sake, no such thing at MAD.

Last edited by hillrider; Jun 9, 2011 at 1:10 pm Reason: Wrong info on security.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:23 pm

AA's 777 is "AB DEG HJ"; E is what I call a middle seat, i.e. one which is neither window nor aisle. And with AA's seats, you're kind of trapped when your neighbors recline to sleep. IB's 340/346 are "AC DH JL" so there's no middle seat. Again, this in J-cabin.
Originally Posted by sk3
So sounds like sk3 is flying F on AA's 777?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:55 pm
sk3
Suspended

I flew on a 346 (loved the tail cam as well) and while the lounge isn't wonderful, it's new, quite adequate, and with decent food. The view isn't great as they're doing construction in front of it at the moment. Ooops, I was probably in the First section as I'm emerald, so my experience might have been different.

No sorry, it's been a while since I left from FCO internationally.

No, for health's sake, no such thing at MAD. And no re-security if you're coming in from the USA (what a concept: they assume that the USA does as good as job as them at it): if you're exiting or connecting to a Schengen destination, you do passport control ("immigration" in the US), nothing otherwise!
Thanks so much Hillrider for spelling everything out, it's REALLY appreciated.

I'm so happy to hear there are no AIT/WBI cancer machines at MAD. But what about when you depart from LAX? I haven't flown out of TBIT in years.

And your last note has me thrilled. I'll be flying LAX-MAD-FCO and FCO-MAD-LAX and I've read that both transfers at MAD will have me taking the train between T4s and T4 and vice versa. So when I do this for my outbound I won't have to clear security at MAD? How lovely!

Lastly, am I understanding you correctly by assuming that for my return where I'm coming from a Schengen country connecting to the USA that I will need to "re-secure" at MAD?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:00 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
So sounds like sk3 is flying F on AA's 777?
No, I'm flying on IB, LAX-MAD.

I had misunderstood hillrider's comment re middle seats.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
And no re-security if you're coming in from the USA (what a concept: they assume that the USA does as good as job as them at it): if you're exiting or connecting to a Schengen destination, you do passport control ("immigration" in the US), nothing otherwise!
It's the other way around, connecting from Schengen to non-Schengen there is no "re-security." Connecting from non-Schengen (e.g., USA) to Schengen you do go through security again.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:18 am

My wife and I flew the new JFK-BUD-JFK route at the end of last month, connecting on to Berlin and were impressed with the ease of transfer at BUD. The airport terminal is new, being completed about a year ago and has a Malev club in each of the two fingers of the terminal. The airport/terminal is about the size of Tucson's facility, so that if one is connecting, one does not have to spend hours changing terminals and going through security as one does at LHR. Our Berlin flight did not leave from one of the gates with jetways, as the prop jet boarded from the tarmac. At least when we were there, it appeared that all Malev's 737s loaded from one of the many jetways. We enjoyed the airport so much more than LHR that we are going back in late September and using Malev to connect to IST (Istanbul).

One annoyance was that my wife discovered that the jewelry store (Frey Willie) that was inside the duty free area did not offer products that were duty free.

We suspect that when many FFs discover the ease of transferring at BUD, more will fly this route.

Although we were upbeat about transferring, AA and Malev still have work to do on co-ordinating their flight(s) with each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.