Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Time and Interlining at ORD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Minimum Connection Time and Interlining at ORD

I have an award ticket NRT-ORD-YYZ-GRU, in which the NRT-ORD segment is on NH and ORD-YYZ-GRU on AC. All segments in business class.
The flight ORD-YYZ has changed its departure time and the connection time is now only 1 hour and 20 min, below the MCT at ORD of 1 hour and 30 min.
Will I need to clear immigration and check bags once again or bags go throw from NH to AC?
Is 1 hour and 20 min at ORD, arriving from NRT on NH and connecting to YYZ on AC, feasible? Do I have to change terminals?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by embit
I have an award ticket NRT-ORD-YYZ-GRU, in which the NRT-ORD segment is on NH and ORD-YYZ-GRU on AC. All segments in business class.
The flight ORD-YYZ has changed its departure time and the connection time is now only 1 hour and 20 min, below the MCT at ORD of 1 hour and 30 min.
Will I need to clear immigration and check bags once again or bags go throw from NH to AC?
Is 1 hour and 20 min at ORD, arriving from NRT on NH and connecting to YYZ on AC, feasible? Do I have to change terminals?
You'll have to clear immigration and recheck bags at ORD. NH arrives at T5 and AC departs from T2 so you'll have a terminal change. In addition the train between T5 and T3/2/1 is down this whole summer https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-2019-a.html which means the transfer will take even more time and I think most would agree that an 80 minute connection won't be ideal. Additionally since you're bellow MCT your ticket will have to be rebooked regardless, so I'd call in and get it done if NH / whoever issued the ticket hasn't contacted you yet.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
The trip is at the end of September, so I guess there will be train running again.
Will I also need to clear security or is there an airside transfer between terminals?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Thanks!
The trip is at the end of September, so I guess there will be train running again.
Will I also need to clear security or is there an airside transfer between terminals?
After you clear immigration and customs you'll end up landside so you'll need to reclear security. Also no guarantees that the train will be up and running by September given this is Chicago after all

Regardless — you're now below MCT so it's an illegal connection so you have to be rebooked, and it's best to do it sooner rather than later while there's still space available.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It does not matter whether you could possibly make this connection. It is below MCT and thus, at some point it will be caught. In a worst case scenario, the ORD-YYZ segment is simply cancelled and in the best, you are contacted and advised of options.

I would do some research and figure out what you want before you call NH (presuming that it is the ticketing carrier and you purchased from NH, not a TA). You will typically do much better if you advise of your preferences, including perhaps getting rid of that ORD-YYZ micro-hop.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:27 pm
glg

NH may tag your bags all the way through to GRU, but you will still have to collect them at ORD and give them back to AC. There *might* be a bag drop for AC at Terminal 5, not sure (UA and AA definitely have bag drops at T5 for connecting flights, not sure about AC).

I'd agree with the others, get this changed proactively. Either to an earlier NRT-ORD flight or better nonstop NRT-YYZ. Since an airline changed the flight time you often don't need to find award availability.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA MM
Thanks!
Anytime you make a connection in the USA from a flight arriving from outside of the USA, Canada, or Ireland (maybe one or two more with Pre-clearance), you have to go through airport security before boarding your connecting flight. So, arriving from Japan, you'd go through security at ORD T2 though there is some talk about re-screening connecting passengers right in T5 and then transferring them over (perhaps later this year).

Last edited by JimInOhio; Feb 26, 2019 at 8:28 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all.
Changed the flight to NRT-YYZ-GRU all AC flights. With a technical stop in YYC that I guess is due to refil, since the flight is operated by a 767.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.