Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Snack: Katsu Curry?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Inflight Snack: Katsu Curry?

Looking at ANA’s inflight business menu. It shows katsu curry. Do they really have this on all transpacific flights? If so that’s super cool.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Seems to be the longer TPAC routes that has the both the katsu curry and the okonomiyaki, West Coast flights seem to get only the okonomiyaki

But check the menu for the specific flights to see where it is available.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sung Sam
Looking at ANA’s inflight business menu. It shows katsu curry. Do they really have this on all transpacific flights? If so that’s super cool.

Here's the picture of the katsu curry on HND-JFK early this year (apologies re the lighting — the cabin was dark and didn't want to turn on the overhead reading lights).
The curry was fine but katsu doesn't reheat well IMO — it was somewhat tough and definitely not crisp/crunchy. If you're looking for a (more substantial) midflight snack would suggest the ramen instead; can't go wrong with that. Also interestingly enough F has curry rice but no katsu on the snack menu.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

I know it's not perfect but damn, that looks so damn good. Are we limited to one katsu curry serving per flight? lol.

Didn't know you can view menus by routes (?). I'll look around.
royng likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
We indeed lacked this option YVR - HND. Only longer flights seem to get it. The ippudo ramen is great though.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sung Sam
I know it's not perfect but damn, that looks so damn good. Are we limited to one katsu curry serving per flight? lol.

Didn't know you can view menus by routes (?). I'll look around.
The katsu looks better than it tastes lol...
Also probably not, but why have two servings when you can have ramen?

Menus are here: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/servicei.../guide/c/meal/
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by truncated
The katsu looks better than it tastes lol...
Also probably not, but why have two servings when you can have ramen?

Menus are here: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/servicei.../guide/c/meal/
Living in Japan, I never bother with the inflight ramen on NH or JAL. It is just a slight step up from instant ramen, and not really that exciting in my view.

I never tried the katsu curry, it is just way too heavy for a inflight meal for me. I have tried a katsudon on JAL F once as a pre arrival meal, it was not bad, but katsu is just not well suited for inflight use. There is no possible way to keep the krispyness.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC, AA Plat Pro
I actually enjoy the snacks more than the meals on ANA first/business flights. Crazy, I know...
Sung Sam and aquanine like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Living in Japan, I never bother with the inflight ramen on NH or JAL. It is just a slight step up from instant ramen, and not really that exciting in my view.

I don't agree with you. The Ippudo NH serves in J is delicious and totally not a standard instant ramen
royng and jashsu like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sodaisei
I don't agree with you. The Ippudo NH serves in J is delicious and totally not a standard instant ramen
I find it extremely similar to the Ippudo versions available in 7-11. A step up perhaps, but nothing unusual compared what is on the market.

But at least you'll not have a ramen competitor if we ever take the same flight.
​​​​​​
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
I find it extremely similar to the Ippudo versions available in 7-11. A step up perhaps, but nothing unusual compared what is on the market.
​​​​​​
There are two kinds of Ippudo instant ramen. The first, available at 7-11 conbini, is the traditional styrofoam bowl type, which will satisfy most ramen cravings. The second, comes in a box, and requires boiling/cooking the noodles separately, then combining with the soup and spice packets in a bowl. The ramen from a box takes a little more work but tastes much better.

I've never tried it, but assume ANA are using the slightly more premium instant ramen from a box.
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by groovbusta
There are two kinds of Ippudo instant ramen. The first, available at 7-11 conbini, is the traditional styrofoam bowl type, which will satisfy most ramen cravings. The second, comes in a box, and requires boiling/cooking the noodles separately, then combining with the soup and spice packets in a bowl. The ramen from a box takes a little more work but tastes much better.

I've never tried it, but assume ANA are using the slightly more premium instant ramen from a box.
The slightly more premium type I am referring to....
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
The slightly more premium type I am referring to....
I guess that's expected since you live in Japan and I would agree it's what's readily available to us. But for someone who is used to eating the "standard" instant ramen in a styrofoam bowl, it would be considered a step up.
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
and on CX the FA moan so much about making instant noodles. i wonder what happens if they have to transfer instant ramen to a bowl then make it.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:33 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by kaka
and on CX the FA moan so much about making instant noodles. i wonder what happens if they have to transfer instant ramen to a bowl then make it.
For economy class, I don't think CX FAs hate pouring hot water into the cup noodles, the problem is that the smell of hot instant noodles wake up a lot of pax and hence extra service to be rendered when manpower is lacking. Also they loath collecting cup noodles trash with soup in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.