Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Experience with Diamond upgrades to Premium Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Question to Diamond members flying economy tickets: what's your experience been with the free Premium Economy upgrades? Are they usually available? And the miles/pp earned doesn't cahcha from the original ticketed class, correct?

This perk would be a big reason for me to take some extra mileage runs to make Diamond this year. Currently have 66k PP booked through July and can make it but would be spending to take some unnecessary flights at higher classes.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Ok... just realized Platinum also has this benefit. It's my first year with AMC Would still be interested in hearing experiences of Platinum and Diamond members of how often the upgrades have been available.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
any unsold seats are offered for free to Diamonds flying in economy, plain and simple. Key is, the seats are available at counter check-in. (T-3hrs)
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
any unsold seats are offered for free to Diamonds flying in economy, plain and simple. Key is, the seats are available at counter check-in. (T-3hrs)
Does it register as an upgrade (i.e. change the booking class)? I guess not?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
My question is, seats are offered in check-in counter? Not at on-line check in 24 hours before boarding?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sodaisei
My question is, seats are offered in check-in counter? Not at on-line check in 24 hours before boarding?
I won't know until July when I take my first flight as Platinum... anyone? And does it change the booking class (miles/points earned)?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Have gotten the upgrade a few times now, usually when flying to Narita rather than Haneda. Am not good with plane models sorry but in my experience has been on the flights where there are at least 3 rows of premium economy and never when there are only 2 rows. Upgrade does not change the miles you earn or award class. Has always happened at check-in for me and not online notification.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by FlyingtoFlyAway
Does it register as an upgrade (i.e. change the booking class)? I guess not?
No change in booking class. Original fare basis remains.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:17 am

Depends on the load. Sometimes you get the proactive upgrade by t-24 check in, otherwise it is checking your luck at the counter.
The plane will not fly (usually) with a Diamond in economy class and an empty premium economy seat. You might even get a last minute upgrade at the gate.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
My only experience related to this upgrade is at TSA.
At the lounge, I was asked whether I preferred the middle seat of PE, or remained at the existing economy seat.
I preferred an aisle seat in economy.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
My experience is 8 out of 9 in the last 12 months. Mostly paid flights to ASEAN. A recent HND SIN flight was the first and only exception where I didn’t get an PY upgrade as a Diamond in almost 2 years. In most cases the upgrade was available at check in 24 hrs before departure.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by shonanroger
My experience is 8 out of 9 in the last 12 months. Mostly paid flights to ASEAN. A recent HND SIN flight was the first and only exception where I didn’t get an PY upgrade as a Diamond in almost 2 years. In most cases the upgrade was available at check in 24 hrs before departure.
Online check in you mean?

Is there a possibility Diamonds are able to select PY while checking online while Platinum can only get PY when checking in at the airport 3 hours before the flight?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: NH Plat
ANA recently added the option to bid for a paid upgrade to PY https://www.ana.co.jp/ja/jp/servicei...rnational/bmp/
Not sure if if some seats are held for free upgrades for premium members, but this could make a difference to future availability.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: ANA: SFC / Marriott: Platinum Elite / Hilton: Diamond
Online check in you mean?

Is there a possibility Diamonds are able to select PY while checking online while Platinum can only get PY when checking in at the airport 3 hours before the flight?
I've read about people traveling together, one being Platinum and the other SFC, where the Platinum could select PY at 24-hour online check-in while the SFC could not until getting to the airport (their PC screens showed different seat availability), so maybe there is a similar difference between Diamond and Platinum, depending on how many seats are available at T-24
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Torode
I've read about people traveling together, one being Platinum and the other SFC, where the Platinum could select PY at 24-hour online check-in while the SFC could not until getting to the airport (their PC screens showed different seat availability), so maybe there is a similar difference between Diamond and Platinum, depending on how many seats are available at T-24
This would make sense because it would be strange that a Platinum could select PY using online check in 24 hours before the flight and a Diamond couldn't because lets say the Diamond check in 23 hours before and all the PY seats have been taken by the Platinum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.