Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HND transfer suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

HND transfer suggestions

My JAL flight SHA-HND arrive at 5PM and ANA Flight HND-YVR leaves at 10PM, I know sometimes SHANGHAI Departure flight can late 2/3 hours, since it's on separate itinerary, I guess there's no protection at all if my JAL flight is late and I missed the ANA flight? ................... My ANA flight is booked on partner rewards, normally what ANA will do for missed reward flight?

Thank you!
Old May 22, 2018, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ecgz88
My JAL flight SHA-HND arrive at 5PM and ANA Flight HND-YVR leaves at 10PM, I know sometimes SHANGHAI Departure flight can late 2/3 hours, since it's on separate itinerary, I guess there's no protection at all if my JAL flight is late and I missed the ANA flight? ................... My ANA flight is booked on partner rewards, normally what ANA will do for missed reward flight?

Thank you!
To Japan? (Only if the weather is really, really bad or the airport is basically shut down.)
Old May 22, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
To Japan? (Only if the weather is really, really bad or the airport is basically shut down.)
It is not uncommon for Shanghai to Japan flights to be affected by air traffic control restrictions, and end up with significant delays. Though I don't know if SHA is as common as PVG, but I would imagine it is the same airspace and same restrictios.

OP. Basically NH will see you as a no show and you will be at the mercy of a kind agent. Though with 5 hours between flights, it is not that often it will be a problem. Haneda is a small and compact terminal, and transit security is usually very quick. Just bring a printed copy of your itinerary if you can't get your baording pass in advance, then you don't need to go landside. Though I would make sure to check in online.
ecgz88 likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is not uncommon for Shanghai to Japan flights to be affected by air traffic control restrictions, and end up with significant delays. Though I don't know if SHA is as common as PVG, but I would imagine it is the same airspace and same restrictios.
The thing is, the Shanghai-Korea/Japan airways have far fewer flights than SHA-PEK and SHA-PRD; plus they aren't PLA controlled. As such, 3+ hour delays are quite rare. PVG is marginally better than SHA in this respect because it is on the sea (though I always fly out of SHA whenever possible.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you! never thought check in online, but I guess if I'm late it still doesn't help?.....I guess I better don't checked any luggage in SHA with JAL? then I don't need to line up go through Customs, pick up luggage then checked luggage with ANA and go through Customs again? .....I can just get ANA boarding pass with Transit counter

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

OP. Basically NH will see you as a no show and you will be at the mercy of a kind agent. Though with 5 hours between flights, it is not that often it will be a problem. Haneda is a small and compact terminal, and transit security is usually very quick. Just bring a printed copy of your itinerary if you can't get your baording pass in advance, then you don't need to go landside. Though I would make sure to check in online.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I looked at the last 7 days of JL82, perfectly on time though.

For checked luggage, 5 hours between flights, anything within 2.5 hours delay would give you ample time to claim luggage and recheck.

​​​​​
Old May 23, 2018, 6:16 pm

JL82 on expertflyer

95% ontime out of 62 flights

avg delay 27min
max delay 3hr 43m

diverted: 1 flight
15-30 min delay: 0
30-45 min delay: 0
> 45min delay: 3 flights

Last edited by paperwastage; May 23, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.