Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA redemptions much cheaper than other airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Lifetime Gold

Hi ANA experts,

I came upon a blog that described ANA redemptions from Asia to US in J class tend to be much cheaper in terms of mileage than most other star alliance airlines (eva, sq, ua).

This seemed almost too good to be true. Is there a catch?

Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
yes, they are cheaper. Korean Air SkyPass charges almost twice the mileage to Asia. There is not really a catch. Some say ANA service is not that great. American Express is their credit card partner and not Chase Sapphire for the rewards cards. Most folks don't like AMEX.

Last edited by smith80678; Jul 29, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:48 pm

Biggest "catch" imo is that, on most routes, you have to book trips as a roundtrip. Not a huge problem, but it would be nice to have the flexibility of booking one ways.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Nice. Thanks for the feedback everyone. How is their award availability in J class? Their website is a bit difficult to use.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
NH rewards are cheaper than competitors but they go head to head with JL.

If you look to compare with KE you will notice that KE offers 2 stop overs, one-way awards, and 1 stop over even one way. KE first is only 160k which is close to NH.

UA of course is through the roof.

ANA is great in the air but in the event of IROPS, Phone support for partnered ticket issues, etc. they are not good.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:22 pm

and don't forget its another additional $500 in surcharges that other programs often absorb . That's like another 30K miles .
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Many programs have a "sweet spot" where the redemption is a pretty good deal. NH's is the Japan/Asia-North America award. Fuel surcharges have recently come down, too.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, it seems like it. Can't believe I didnt know about it this last 5 years flying Asia/North America routes.

Are rewards readily available?

For example, SQ is very tough to get confirmed seats where as EVA was much much better.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Fuel surcharges have recently come down, too.
True they have come down by 25% but SEA-SIN or HKG is still over $500 in surcharges in Biz. Check it out.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by sunil
True they have come down by 25% but SEA-SIN or HKG is still over $500 in surcharges in Biz. Check it out.
I book JFK-NRT-HKG roundtrip J ticket, $120 tax/surcharge
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:33 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by cyster2007
I book JFK-NRT-HKG roundtrip J ticket, $120 tax/surcharge
Since Feb 2016, there is no fuel surcharge for flight departing from HKG. Great news to HK people and travellers to HKG.
Sadly since 1Aug2016, all pax using HKG (including transit) will have to pay HKG construction fee.

Last edited by royng; Aug 1, 2016 at 4:44 am
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:50 am

North America to Africa is 104k miles RT with ANA in J. I found out about this a few months ago and couldn't believe it. Now I'm planning on getting some Amex cards to redeem 2 tix in 2018.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by royng
Since Feb 2016, there is no fuel surcharge for flight departing from HKG. Great news to HK people and travellers to HKG.
Sadly since 1Aug2016, all pax using HKG (including transit) will have to pay HKG construction fee.
It is about $20-25 USD, not a big cost compare to fuel surcharge
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Many programs have a "sweet spot" where the redemption is a pretty good deal. NH's is the Japan/Asia-North America award. Fuel surcharges have recently come down, too.
What's nice on ANA metal is the fees are virtually nothing for NA-Japan. I paid ~$87 on a IAH-NRT r/t J award. I think it was TPG that had a good post detailing average/expected fuel surcharges for each ANA partner since they apparently vary wildly, from $0 to hundreds of dollars.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Fuel is so cheap now even if they did charge an fuel surcharge it wouldn't be much of an factor.

Given the evaluation of booking an partnered ticket with ludicrous fuel surcharges, people still do it because NH charges almost nothing in form of miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.