Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:40 am

I've read the above reports on service lapses with interest. Anybody heard any reports about food quality going down recently in business class? We're flying business JFK-FCO in a week and wondering what to expect.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by rje444
I've read the above reports on service lapses with interest. Anybody heard any reports about food quality going down recently in business class? We're flying business JFK-FCO in a week and wondering what to expect.
I flew JFK-FCO and back in business in May. Food quality was still pretty decent, however crew service was at one point non-existent. For example on our return leg they didn't even play the safety video, and the IFE system was broken for the first 2 hours of the flight with no attempts to fix it until multiple people complained.

Keep your expectations low and you just might be pleasantly surprised!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
That sounds familiar!

Originally Posted by jbeans
The writing is on the wall. On my last J flight FCO-JFK, the flight attendants couldn't be bothered with anything other than serving you the required meals. They didn't even play the safety video.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia
I hate to say it, but my last few experiences on Alitalia, particularly of their on-board service, has been pretty appalling. They're clearly is an atmosphere of "can't give a damn" amongst a lot of the crew, which in the current circumstances probably understandable, but isn't doing much for their image. Chatting to one of the crew on a recent flight to Malta, he was telling me that he has applied to join Norwegian as they will shortly begin flying long haul from Rome and he feels he has zero job security with Alitalia. He said he knew a further five or six cabin crew who were doing the same.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: FB Plat
The union must feel proud of their usefulness, voting against staff reduction, and still having it anyway. ^
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Explains why Alitalia is hiring cabin crew (see post a few pages back!)
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: ITA Executive
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
P.S.: I'm flying via LIN tomorrow and will see whether the main lounge (currently closed) has been properly refurbished to Casa Alitalia standards.
So? Anything to report? (I'm flying out of LIN in a couple of weeks and hope to sample the new improved lounge, if it's open by then...)
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by fasteddie1971
So? Anything to report? (I'm flying out of LIN in a couple of weeks and hope to sample the new improved lounge, if it's open by then...)
Thanks for the follow-up and reminder. I popped in yesterday (the lounge had reopened on Monday) before the 10:15AM service to LCY and there were no changes whatsoever, just a polished floor and an overall spring-clean feeling (general maintenance possibly?). Apart from that, same old plastic pastries with catering getting significantly better during afternoons and evenings (Rome lounges definitely better from that perspective).

G
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: ITA Executive
How disappointing!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
While these days they're all called Casa Alitalia, the only lounges which have actually been refurbished for that purpose are -

Casa Alitalia Rome (former Giotto, T3, concourse E, non-Schengen, old wing, via people mover)
Casa Alitalia Milan-Malpensa

That said, below I'm listing the remaining AZ lounges in their main hub of FCO:

Dolce Vita | T1, land-side
Borromini | T1, Schengen, pier D (first floor via escalator just as you approach gate D1)
Le Navi | T3, non-Schengen, concourse E (new wing)

Any doubts, let me know.

P.S.: I'm flying via LIN tomorrow and will see whether the main lounge (currently closed) has been properly refurbished to Casa Alitalia standards.

G
Thanks! So what is the one at FCO that people love? Definitely not the one I was in!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Thanks! So what is the one at FCO that people love? Definitely not the one I was in!
That's the one in concourse E, old wing (non-Schengen needless to say).

G
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bloomberg
Ryanair Holdings Plc plans to bid for Alitalia SpA, which has filed for bankruptcy, and will keep the Italian company intact if it’s successful, according to Chief Executive Officer Michael O’Leary.

Europe’s biggest discount airline is prepared to take over Alitalia’s long-haul arm as well as a short-haul unit that parallels its own operations, O’Leary said Thursday. Most of the Rome-based company’s fleet would be retained, together with pilots and engineering staff, and its name would also survive.

“Alitalia struggles to make money but it’s still a very good brand in Italy,” the CEO said. “The jets are all leased, so we would want those leases, but we would want the bankruptcy administrator to restructure them.”

<snip>

Alitalia’s long-haul operations, served by Airbus A330s and Boeing 777s, could expand under Ryanair, especially to North America, O’Leary said. Following its bankruptcy Alitalia should be freed from a penalty of about 200 million euros ($235 million) for adding more U.S. routes that’s tied to its membership of the SkyTeam alliance alongside former shareholder Air France-KLM Group, he said.

<snip>

O’Leary said last week that the “transparent” handling of Alitalia’s bankruptcy filing contrasts with the situation surrounding insolvent Air Berlin Plc. Ryanair is interested in the German company too, but expects it to be handed to Deutsche Lufthansa AG in a local “carve up,” he said.
I am starting to think that Alitalia will survive.

It is remarkable how quickly things are falling apart over at airberlin - most of the oneworld partners have now cut all earning/burining on airberlin just as topbonus has stopped such activities - and the schedule is coming unstuck.

If we had been told at the start of the year that both AZ and AB would enter administration/insolvency this year after EY withdrew backing, and one proceeded serenely while the other spiralled out of control, how many would have picked AZ for the serene path???

Ryanair have also apparently withdrawn from the AB process, so it seems that there will be at least one decent (I know, I know - some people will recoil from any Ryanair offer, if only just because it's Ryanair) offer for AZ. The prospect of US expansion is also quite exciting - so long as AZ can sign a deal with airlines like jetblue, Alaska Airlines or Westjet to enhance coverage in North America. [As a member of the SkyTeam TATL JV, AZ cannot open routes without the consent and agreement of DL and AFKL - a huge impediment and one that Etihad were frustrated by]
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This Swiss website quotes Il Messaggero as saying that Delta, AFKLM and British Airways (presumably meant as IAG) re no longer interested in making an offer for AZ.

Originally Posted by travelnews.ch
Die Alitalia-Partner Air France-KLM und Delta Air Lines, aber auch British Airways, sollen dagegen laut «Il Messaggero» nicht mehr im Rennen sein.
As well as Ryanair, Easyjet and Lufthansa - though noting that the latter is now pre-occupied with the AB crisis [offers for AB are due by September 15 apparently, via other sources], a number of private equity firms are interested. Greybull (owners of Monarch) as previously mentioned, but also Cerberus Capital of the US, and Elliott (known in Italy; they arranged the sale of AC Milan to Chinese investors) are expected to make bids.

Three ground-handling companies are also interested - Airport Handling, Airport Service und Alisud. Unsurprisingly, they only appear interested in the ground handling parts of Alitalia.

These appear to be the only 9 interested parties.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:25 am

Fabio Lazzerini, current Emirates' Country Manager in Italy, to become the new Alitalia's Chief Commercial Officer.

G
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I don't know Mr Lazzerini but it seems to me that leaving a safe job at Emirates to enter Alitalia is a sign that AZ shall survive.

Elliott Capital is a vulture fund known for buying bankrupt companies and turning them around before re-selling for a (very sweet) profit. I can see them entering AZ - it will be hell for unions.

I still have tickets for late November. I do have a back-up plan but it involves some extra money. Looking anxiously at how things evolve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.