Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Indeed. One also wonders what sort of due diligence EY conducted a few years back and prior to initiating the [significant] investment in the nearly bankrupt airline, surely such costs were red-flagged at the time?
Let the same management (not the top one), who made all this possible, to run the company after you just poured the money in and the same disaster as before will happen sooner or later (it just depends on the amount of cash you inject).

U
Old May 9, 2017, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
You are quite right that there is no EU laws as such but only country laws. But the EU issued directives on the matter:

"Directive 2007/64/EC on payment services
in the internal market (PSD) and Directive
2008/48/EC on credit agreements for
consumers (CCD) form the main legal bases to
request a charge back in the following cases:
• the transaction is not authorized by the
consumer/cardholder;
• the trader does not respect the consumers’
rights;
• in the case of bankruptcy."
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/do..._report_en.pdf

And Calder is right as credit card/TA(ATOL) protection is very good in the UK.
Got it. Thanks. The relevant provision would be Art 15(2) of Directive 2008/48, then. Not entirely sure why they specifically refer to bankruptcy as I don't seem to find a specific reference to bankruptcy in the Directive but there is no reason why Art 15(2) should not apply to cases of bankruptcy too.
The Directive, however, specifies neither the remedy (eg: merely charge-back or complete substitution of the financial institution to the obligations of the merchant as in the UK) nor its extent or the conditions and circumstances in which the right to a remedy is exercisable, leaving that to national law so you really need to turn to national law to find out what the right consist of and its extent.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
The Directive, however, specifies neither the remedy (eg: merely charge-back or complete substitution of the financial institution to the obligations of the merchant as in the UK) nor its extent or the conditions and circumstances in which the right to a remedy is exercisable, leaving that to national law so you really need to turn to national law to find out what the right consist of and its extent.
@:-) An European directive isn't law @:-)

Member states have to implement the rules of a directive by passing a law. You'll have to consult the applicable law to now how the directive was implemented into national law.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
@:-) An European directive isn't law @:-)

Member states have to implement the rules of a directive by passing a law. You'll have to consult the applicable law to now how the directive was implemented into national law.
Well.. you're half right. A directive does require implementation into national law, but the directive is still a law in itself and can have 'direct effect' (albeit not direct applicability).

But we need not dwell on that point.

Back on topic... anyone have any further insights as to what to do with a stash of Alitalia miles, if they're not already worthless?!
Old May 10, 2017, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
anyone have any further insights as to what to do with a stash of Alitalia miles, if they're not already worthless?!
You could get yourself a seat on the recently delivered 773's inaugural service to EZE on September 4th (or MXP-JFK on the 330, with the added bonus of the excellent Casa Alitalia lounge in Milan). Decent long-haul product (in fact, I still class it amongst the best in Europe, shame just for the poor network and a rather mediocre ground service) with quality food & wine together with a good lie-flat seat will almost certainly be a good deal for your miles

G
Old May 10, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Well.. you're half right. A directive does require implementation into national law, but the directive is still a law in itself and can have 'direct effect'
Indeed. The suggestion that a directive is not law would provoke a raised eyebrow in the average EU lawyer. A directive does not normally on its own create obligations private parties but it certainly constitute binding law for the Member States themselves.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:26 am

One of the recently appointed special commissioners (i.e. Gubitosi) who, incidentally, was the man chosen by banks (and all others forming the 51% investors' side) to replace the now former CEO Ball before the workers referendum, said that they are working on a new business plan (4-weeks' lead time for that one) and that they will also announce new routes for the winter schedule (he confirmed the launch of MLE but did not mention DEL, which was announced during the referendum). Possibly an over optimistic statement but I guess we shall wait and see what happens. In the meantime, the new addition to the fleet (B777-300, EI-WLA) has left FCO for some further/final maintenance before the official delivery (credit to the usual great source for anything civil aviation related i.e. the folks at aviazionecivile.it).

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; May 10, 2017 at 7:35 am
Old May 10, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
(he confirmed the launch of MLE but did not mention DEL, which was announced during the referendum).
You almost gave me a seizure there! As I rapidly scanned your post, my brain came up with "confirmed the launch of MEL"

Old May 10, 2017, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
"confirmed the launch of MEL"
(...as a result of increased demand between Europe -mostly Germany- & Asia Pacific [via FLR], we are pleased to announce...)

G
Old May 10, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(...as a result of increased demand between Europe & Asia Pacific (via FLR), we are pleased to announce...)

G
Speaking of which, the return leg of one of my FLR tickets was to have taken place this past weekend. KLM still retained all details about it; sent me emails to remind me to check in; I did, and got as far as the API screen before they decided that I really needed to use an airport kiosk or check-in desk to complete check-in.

I wonder how that conversation would have gone, had I happened to be in HKG to give it a lash....

Old May 10, 2017, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by brunos
You might temper your enthusiasm. Protection coverage varies across countries of residence and card issuance. In the EU, there is a legislation protecting credit card purchases, but country laws might provide even better protection. There is also protection provided by card companies operating rules.
While AZ is not yet insolvent, it has sought protection under Italian "new" bankruptcy law 192/2015.

I am not saying that you are not protected. But the chargeback process might take time and energy. Hopefully, you will not need it. Even if the risk is not huge, the prospect of flight cancellation and time-consuming process to be reimbursed would not be my personal choice.
I'd also worry that customer service could become horrible toward the end. Workers will know that they're about to lose jobs. I predict long lines, delays and cancellations, dirty aircraft, bad/rude on board service, etc.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still launching routes - going bust Alitalia-style!

Anna.aero has a typically irreverant look at the Alitalia situation - "Still launching routes - going bust Alitalia-style!"

You can read it here.

It's rather sobering to read that Alitalia's share of the domestic market has slipped to 40%; on international routes, it is a paltry 10%.

The slides therein:

Old May 10, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I wonder how that conversation would have gone, had I happened to be in HKG to give it a lash....

It could have definitely been fun and for all the wrong reasons!

G
Old May 10, 2017, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You could get yourself a seat on the recently delivered 773's inaugural service to EZE on September 4th (or MXP-JFK on the 330, with the added bonus of the excellent Casa Alitalia lounge in Milan). Decent long-haul product (in fact, I still class it amongst the best in Europe, shame just for the poor network and a rather mediocre ground service) with quality food & wine together with a good lie-flat seat will almost certainly be a good deal for your miles

G
This sounds like fun if the flight doesn't turn into a wake for AZ in mood rather than a celebration of the new route and great new aircraft.

Wouldn't it be safer to use AZ miles on flights operated by partners? In that case, when does AZ pay the partner and would partners, either in the EC or elsewhere, be obligated to honor those tickets? Of course, the mess/risk would be dealing with rebooking through AZ if schedule changes occur, so it might be wise to allow long connecting times and even try to pick flights that seem to be less likely to be cancelled or rescheduled.

BTW, there's a thread in the DL forum on this that discusses, among other issues, award availability for AZ operated flights to be purchased with DL miles.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wouldn't it be safer to use AZ miles on flights operated by partners? In that case, when does AZ pay the partner and would partners, either in the EC or elsewhere, be obligated to honor those tickets?
No.

The flights would only be paid after the fact.

You pay AZ up-front; but you might change/cancel/alter your plans, so AZ won't pay the partner until after the flight actually gets flown.

If AZ disappears in the meantime, all outstanding ticket stock becomes worthless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.