Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Has anyone an idea on what is the daily cash outflow at AZ, expenses only like payroll, fuel, catering,..?
I guess that many expenses are paid less frequently than daily, but what is the daily equivalent?
I guess, unless we have an insider or anyone at Deloitte willing to share some numbers with us, that will be pretty difficult to establish. However, according to one of the latest set of figures (Italy's IlSole24Ore), the airline almost reached an average of €2M in daily losses.

G
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I guess, unless we have an insider or anyone at Deloitte willing to share some numbers with us, that will be pretty difficult to establish. However, according to one of the latest set of figures (Italy's IlSole24Ore), the airline almost reached an average of €2M in daily losses.

G
That's what I fear. Although AZ might have stated somewhere its annual fuel cost and payroll.
€2M is the daily cash loss when there were still selling tickets on a regular basis. A lot of customers are not aware of AZ crisis, at least not yet. When ticketing dries up, the cash outflow will be much larger.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
That's what I fear. Although AZ might have stated somewhere its annual fuel cost and payroll.
€2M is the daily cash loss when there were still selling tickets on a regular basis. A lot of customers are not aware of AZ crisis, at least not yet. When ticketing dries up, the cash outflow will be much larger.
I suspect it already is. A large proportion of AZ customer base will be based in Italy and while there might not be a huge amount of awareness of AZ's woes in the US, the UK, France, Hong Kong, etc..., there will certainly be a much higher level of awareness in Italy itself, where the issue will be much more prominent in the news, even though some people might not fully realise the significance of the risk.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:42 am

Wondering if other carriers flying to Italy will start raising prices as people start switching from Alitalia...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Possibly, but lowering prices for flights from/to Italy for flights in the next few months would mean even more trouble for AZ as AZ would loose even more customer and would have to compete on even lower air fares. This will harm their cash flow and increase the trouble.

So, if I were a competitor, I would indeed lower prices as this most likely would eliminate AZ sooner than later.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Possibly, but lowering prices for flights from/to Italy for flights in the next few months would mean even more trouble for AZ as AZ would loose even more customer and would have to compete on even lower air fares. This will harm their cash flow and increase the trouble.

So, if I were a competitor, I would indeed lower prices as this most likely would eliminate AZ sooner than later.
This strategy has already been in place in Greece to move Olympic Airways out of business - which was kind of good for frequent flyers as the ticket prices ex ATH in business class were really cheap.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:34 am

Let's not start again with the maintenance like a number of time-wasters' pseudo engineers on the error fare's thread who were suggesting exactly the same thing on the ground that AZ customer service is useless and so is the maintenance, without any proof and writing just for the sake of it while playing computer games. One of the few good things left is indeed the maintenance, which is split between Naples, Israel and Lufthansa Technik in Germany - all outstanding sites and with no sign whatsoever suggesting otherwise, together with the excellent safety record held by the airline. Let's keep such fluff out of FT please.

With thanks

G
Any organisation in such financial difficulties as AZ will cut expenses to the minimum. Fuel bills, landing fees and recommended as opposed to mandated maintenance will all be delayed for as long as possible.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mexberry
Fuel bills, landing fees and recommended as opposed to mandated maintenance will all be delayed for as long as possible.
But nobody is going to grant additional delays if AZ is in trouble. It's either 100% of our money today or anything between 0 and 100% if AZ goes belly up. Once insolvency is official, you'll be stuck waiting for your money. The only compromise in such situations is for AZ to pay before getting these services/goods. This has been SOP for many cash strapped airlines.

When a company goes bust, it's never a good idea to stick around and to "wait and see". Getting your cash (back) is priority #1 and a reason why we have insolvency laws, so that liquidation and distribution of the potential + is fair between all creditors.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Any organisation in such financial difficulties as AZ will cut expenses to the minimum. Fuel bills, landing fees and recommended as opposed to mandated maintenance will all be delayed for as long as possible.
No delays. AZ will have to prepay fuel if they want to get any at all. Fuel suppliers are not stupid. They have been following the news for sure.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are AZ aircraft generally loaned or leased?

I know gargoyle and some other SkyTeam travelers will be sad to see the AZ option essentially disappear. Me, not so much.
I actually enjoy flying them, and get very good treatment from the crews.

I've been reading predictions of imminent bankruptcy and demise of AZ pretty regularly over the past dozen years, but somehow they always keep going. It's not just government bailouts, there is something fundamental in the airline that just keeps going... just like Italy keeps going despite something like 70 government failures/reformations since WWII. Perhaps there are parallel worlds- the logical, accounting world, and the emotional/social world, and they don't really impact each other.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:35 am

Most suppliers, ranging from fuel to toilet maintenance and from hotel stays to the cup of tea you get served on-board, will be particularly sensitive to any inklings involving a business in such state, which means that they will impose their own terms when it comes to invoicing.

Ironically and on an entirely different note, the new 777-300 aircraft (recently delivered) is currently in one of the hangars at Rome-Fiumicino being repainted, with first scheduled (and as we speak strongly improbable) take off in early September (FCO-EZE).

G
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:21 pm

so i know this has been asked, but im panicking. Scheduled to fly out on an award business ticket in june- with the latest news does that look like its going to happen? and if they stop all operations, am i just out my 160k miles for 2 tickets? thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by dan88
so i know this has been asked, but im panicking. Scheduled to fly out on an award business ticket in june- with the latest news does that look like its going to happen? and if they stop all operations, am i just out my 160k miles for 2 tickets? thanks.
The very latest [news] seem to indicate that the aforesaid bridge loan of 400-plus M€ would be granted on Tuesday and as soon as the board will have ratified the controlled administration. Whilst this should pre-empt an imminent halt to operations, it is however still pretty early stage in order to establish the what next scenarios, even though it is safe to say that your miles would likely not make a return to your account should bankruptcy be triggered.

G
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:59 pm

The very latest [news] seem to indicate that the aforesaid bridge loan of 400-plus M€ would be granted on Tuesday and as soon as the board will have ratified the controlled administration. Whilst this should pre-empt an imminent halt to operations, it is however still pretty early stage in order to establish the what next scenarios, even though it is safe to say that your miles would likely not make a return to your account should bankruptcy be triggered.

G
thanks very much. I was just reading about the 400-plus, but what essentially does that mean? Is there any idea on how long that will keep operations going?I thought I read alitalia loses 500k a day, which would mean 100 days of operations at 400m? Then again I imagine they are losing more per day now that people would be scared to book. I'm 6 or 7 weeks away from flying.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by dan88
thanks very much. I was just reading about the 400-plus, but what essentially does that mean? Is there any idea on how long that will keep operations going?I thought I read alitalia loses 500k a day, which would mean 100 days of operations at 400m? Then again I imagine they are losing more per day now that people would be scared to book. I'm 6 or 7 weeks away from flying.
The explicit government's target is to help the soon-to-be announced special commissioner(s) to maintain the status-quo at least until the end of the summer (the official target is 6 months, but...). And, yes, further losses due to stagnation in terms of direct income from tickets will clearly not play in their pockets' favour. I would be inclined to think that, with the bridge loan hitting the bank next Tuesday and failing to find an investor within the next couple of months, things could turn chaotic well before the end of the summer.

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.