Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
It's a question of "can Alitalia get their flight crew enough cash to pay for fuel on the spot.
Back in 2008 the controlled administration was handled relatively well in that respect, with the exception of a number of crews reporting issues with hotel payments. AZ had far more planes/services at the time so I would be inclined to believe that operations would not really be sharply affected, apart from a few merged services and the occasional cancellations here and there. Again, though, as with any business ending up like that, the highly changing nature of such circumstances could lead to things going terribly wrong in less than no time.

G
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
so how long might AZ planes keep on flying ?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
Pretty hard to establish. Last time, the controlled administration lasted from August 2008 up to mid-January 2009, when a number of investors (including Intesa bank) pumped some money and bought the good side of the business (essentially, the special commissioner had agreed to split the airline into good and bad company, with the latter going bust).

G
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Pretty hard to establish. Last time, the controlled administration lasted from August 2008 up to mid-January 2009, when a number of investors (including Intesa bank) pumped some money and bought the good side of the business (essentially, the special commissioner had agreed to split the airline into good and bad company, with the latter going bust).

G
I just hope I can still fly CAI-FCO-LAX-JFK-FCO-CAI on May 06-07
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Again, though, as with any business ending up like that, the highly changing nature of such circumstances could lead to things going terribly wrong in less than no time.
Agree, but a public crisis like this (Alitalia is currently all over the news) is going to dramatically reduce take in of liquidities: I guess that the number of bookings is already dropping.

Currently I don't see any positive element that could turn this around. A good administrator might keep AZ afloat as long as possible, but that isn't going to change the fact that they'll need to make a deal with the existing shareholders or get fresh financial means. Either scenario seems unlikely to me.

Shame for such a traditional brand, but at some point it might be better to just let the brand die in dignity than to keep her going until the next time the bills can't be paid.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:57 pm

Agree, but a public crisis like this (Alitalia is currently all over the news) is going to dramatically reduce take in of liquidities: I guess that the number of bookings is already dropping.

Currently I don't see any positive element that could turn this around. A good administrator might keep AZ afloat as long as possible, but that isn't going to change the fact that they'll need to make a deal with the existing shareholders or get fresh financial means. Either scenario seems unlikely to me.

Shame for such a traditional brand, but at some point it might be better to just let the brand die in dignity than to keep her going until the next time the bills can't be paid.
Considering the very latest news suggesting that a request for controlled administration has now officially been put forward to the Italian civil aviation authority and that investors have therefore virtually stepped aside, your points make perfect sense. With no one else possibly wanting to takeover a massive debt together with a bunch of buffoons (i.e. unions) who seem to be holding even more powers than the government plus the Vatican combined, sadly it is looking very likely that whoever will take on the commissioner role will be looking to sell any assets left and wrap things up as soon as possible.

G
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:00 pm

I just hope I can still fly CAI-FCO-LAX-JFK-FCO-CAI on May 06-07
I have SCL coming up plus LAX on May 11th - but I'm not going to lose my sleep as I'm fairly sure things will still be fairly regular at that time. Certainly, though, I would not be particularly willing to make any further bookings.

G
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia
Let's not forget one thing, Etihad went into the deal with Alitalia, one assumes, with their eyes wide open and would have no doubt factored in this situation as a possibility. They certainly have the capital for a temporary solution to this crisis I would've thought? The key to resolving this issue could well lie in Abu Dhabi, rather than Rome. Let's hope so. EY do not strike me as a company that will cut and run after all the investment they have put into AZ.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:04 pm

I doubt that the government will make Alitalia a national airline again. Too many rules object to that. Probably best at some point to go bust and have someone else start from the ground up.
Originally Posted by jmj10
Been following this very closely, as my husband and I are flying from BOS-FCO and back May 5th and May 14th. Really coming down to the wire for a decision.I know that our CC company will reimburse for the flight, but am also curious about rebooking on a partner airline (such as AirFrance or Delta).
If you can rebook, I would do so. Flying with a crew under stress of loosing their jobs will not be a pleasant experience. The food will be bare bones and hopefully the aircraft has been maintained properly.k
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mexberry
hopefully the aircraft has been maintained properly
Let's not start again with the maintenance like a number of time-wasters' pseudo engineers on the error fare's thread who were suggesting exactly the same thing on the ground that AZ customer service is useless and so is the maintenance, without any proof and writing just for the sake of it while playing computer games. One of the few good things left is indeed the maintenance, which is split between Naples, Israel and Lufthansa Technik in Germany - all outstanding sites and with no sign whatsoever suggesting otherwise, together with the excellent safety record held by the airline. Let's keep such fluff out of FT please.

With thanks

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Apr 25, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by AirCub1
They certainly have the capital for a temporary solution to this crisis I would've thought?
And once the temporary solution runs out? I get the feeling that existing investors have lost faith and new investors won't touch Alitalia. This isn't a singular issue and Alitalia had lots of similar situations in their past.

Originally Posted by AirCub1
EY do not strike me as a company that will cut and run after all the investment they have put into AZ.
IIRC Etihad was willing to pump another 2B € into AZ (nearly doubling what they have overall invested into EY). The deal was refused. I'm sure that EY won't be too happy about losing money, but pumping more money in is a huge gamble: Who will guarantee that AZ won't require another 2B € in 12, 24 or 36 months?

And given their misfortune with their other European investment (AB), I suspect that they are much more reluctant these days to "just throw money at it".
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:53 pm

Alitalia Loyalty (owner of the MilleMiglia program, through which Etihad has a 75% stake) is a separate entity so I'm guessing you should be okay.

G
I'm confused - if Alitalia ceases operations, how would you use the miles if they survived? Partner redemptions?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by dburns
Partner redemptions?
EY partners, I would assume (given that they currently have 75% stake in the loyalty's scheme, which was sold by AZ back in 2014). But that's anybody's guess as you can imagine.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Apr 25, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia
Flying later today on Alitalia, will be interesting to see what the mood of the airport staff and crew is like. Whether I shall get back to Rome on Sunday on Alitalia remains to be seen!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alital...123353704.html

The board is looking to call for a special administrator on May 2nd meeting.

"The administrator would assess whether Alitalia can be overhauled or should be wound up, before preparing industrial and financial plans for a rapid revamp, either as a standalone company or through a partial or total sale.

If all else fails, it could trigger liquidation."

"The airline has sufficient funds to keep flying for "a matter of weeks, two to three weeks," partly by calling in unpaid invoices, the person close to the company said."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.