Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lele100
Yes it is, I just didn't want to keep asking questions when I can read it on my own
You can continue to read this thread. It's been updated with every new twist in the tale and will continue to do so, so you don't need to post questions but can rely on new details being added as and when they are known. (So no need to ask. When there's news, it'll be posted here).
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:05 pm

I recently flew SCL-FCO in Economy, and the flight (on a Friday) was maybe 50 to 60 percent full only. Does AZ have an issue filling their long-haul flights? Is this a recent issue? Is it known how long AZ's current funding will keep them in the air? I assume they must be burning millions of Euros a day.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:09 pm

You’re making a number of assumptions based on... 1 flight (and in Economy). Moreover, it is painfully obvious that load factors alone do not give any indication on whether a given route is successful (or not). That said, I fly to Santiago and back to Warsaw via FCO at least once a month and there were times when business class was entirely full (26 passengers Thursday just gone, I forgot to ask what were the numbers for Premium & Economy, I normally do admittedly) — does that mean anything? Possibly not. Without knowing the actual yields, then all we can do is guess, which is indeed a pointless exercise. Oh, and greetings from a very warm Santiago.

G
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
I was on FCO-ICN-FCO in Jan and FCO-JFK-FCO in Feb and all flights were almost full.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:03 pm
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Over the last 5 weeks I've flown AZ business on LHR-FCO-SCL-FCO-LHR, LHR-FCO-GIG-FCO-LHR and LHR-FCO-EZE-FCO-LHR and all were very busy. Judging by the amount of people at the gates that also premium economy and economy were busy.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:41 pm

I've just checked in for my flight (SCL-FCO) scheduled for tomorrow and noticed just a couple of empty seats at the front of the cabin. This is not to say that AZ is running a profitable route but indeed merely yet another data point.

G
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:24 pm

What will happen to my reservations if Alitalia goes belly up and suspends service?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
What will happen to my reservations if Alitalia goes belly up and suspends service?
Depends if they are reservations on Alitalia flights made through a different airline, or direct on Alitalia.

In the first case, your ticketing carrier should take care of you.
In the second case, hope you have good travel insurance.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:41 pm

and make sure to read the fine print of the insurance policy because some might not cover tickets purchased from an airline which at that point in time had already filed for insolvency. If the ticket has been paid for by credit card, chances are the money can be reclaimed when the airline fails to delivery.
Anyway, for some rough idea what might happen, have a look at the recent examples of AB and Niki.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Depends if they are reservations on Alitalia flights made through a different airline, or direct on Alitalia.

In the first case, your ticketing carrier should take care of you.
In the second case, hope you have good travel insurance.
I booked my tickets with Chase Sapphire Reserve which I believe has a solid travel insurance plan.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:44 pm

See the discussion https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...-comments.html . We had a trip on Air Berlin when it was in question whether they'd still be in operation for our return flight, booked on Chase Sapphire Preferred. I asked in that thread about coverage if we were left to buy our own tickets in case of an AB shutdown, and got a curt reply that Chase's insurance would not cover a new walk-up ticket purchase, only the previously purchased ticket (not much different from any credit card?). Anyway, our AB flight did operate.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Unless you are scheduled to travel in 6/7 months’ time, I wouldn’t worry and I’d just look forward to enjoying Magnifica (alias business class), which is a really good product. I seem to remember (from a different thread) you are indeed booked in J.

G
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:51 am

Meanwhile MRU has been added as new destination from end Oct 2018. Another NBO?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
What do you mean by "another NBO"? On the face of it, there's not much in common between MRU and NBO, and if there's some purportedly scandalous story about Alitalia and Nairobi, I'm not aware of it!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
What do you mean by "another NBO"? On the face of it, there's not much in common between MRU and NBO, and if there's some purportedly scandalous story about Alitalia and Nairobi, I'm not aware of it!
I suspect we failed to report it here but AZ eventually decided not to launch NBO. JNB remains confirmed, though (well, at least for the time being).

G
irishguy28 and Sciamano like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.