Reload this Page >

Alaska required declaration form and negative COVID test UPDATE: discontinued

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry a. laska
Non-Alaska Resident traveler portal, includes information, registration, and declaration:
https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.

Here's their information page

It's less stringent than 14 days of quarantine on arrival, but also puts up a barrier to the tourism and might explain why costs on hotels and cars have often been reasonable lately. The negative test must have been done within the last 72 hours before arrival, so if there's lag time for results it's problematic. It applies equally to passengers from the rest of the U.S. and international passengers.

Anyone gone through this yet? Are they making passengers at airports go through an immigration-like procedure?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:43 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I haven't gone through it but I have read of a family that did. Yes, kind of an.immigration-like procedure upon arrival.

If you dont have the test results from within 72 hours they would give you a test and you must self quarantinev until the results are communicated to you. The report I read already had the results so I am not sure how long it would take to get the results of tests upon arrival.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: US, HH
Updated entry requirements starting 8/11.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...ovid-19-tests/

Unclear at this point how they will handle arrivals who are still waiting for results. It is also unclear if the 72 hours is from start of travel or if it really is arrival, as stated. Up till now, it was within 72 hours of your first flight.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:32 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrjApp
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...ovid-19-tests/

Unclear at this point how they will handle arrivals who are still waiting for results. It is also unclear if the 72 hours is from start of travel or if it really is arrival, as stated. Up till now, it was within 72 hours of your first flight.
From what I read it sounded.like the 72 hours is from arrival into AK but they said more info is coming.

With turnaround times routine taking more than 72 hours this all but eliminates visitors coming to Alaska.

Stay tuned.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:28 pm

More details.

The new rules were clarified today: https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/

Boils down to arrive with negative results for test taken 72 hrs prior to departure or arrive with proof of test taken 72 hrs prior to departure and quarantine until results are available or arrive with no test and pay $250 for a test, then quarantine until results are available.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Both of us were able to obtain rapid (15 min) COVID tests yesterday (for free even) for our arrival in ANC tomorrow night. We've both registered with https://www.alaska.covidsecureapp.com And created a "New Travel Declaration" that includes uploading a copy of the negative COVID test.

We are only going to be up in the ANC area for about four days before returning home so I'm not anticipating any type of quarantine or follow-up COVID test in Alaska. I know most testing sites in the US are of the 72 hour variety so I guess we were extremely lucky that here in South Florida they are actually giving free rapid COVID tests. There are labs that will do it in 24-48 hours but that would've been about $300 each.

I will report back on my experience as no others have reported their experience with this process since it went into effect last week.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
We are heading to Alaska over the weekend. We found CVID-19 PCR tests with same day turnaround at a free-standing ER near us. It took a bit of calling, but we found them fairly easily. Just be sure to ask beforehand what kind of test they offer and that it meets the requirements. Alaska requires proof of a molecular-based test (such as an RT-PCR) for SARS-CoV2, not an antigen test.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:55 am

I have twice now used a home kit (Pixel), so far results were back in 1-2 days from receipt of sample at their lab. On the Alaska travel site, they specifically note 4 home kits as acceptable. Definitely a good option if you don’t have access to a quick molecular test where you live.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This info was buried so I figured I'd add it here. The official Alaska rules (as of tday) state this:
There are currently two different types of diagnostic tests for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19: molecular tests that detect the virus’s genetic material and antigen tests that detect specific proteins on the surface of the virus. Alaska only accepts the molecular-based test type. Antigen tests are not accepted because they are more likely to miss an active coronavirus infection compared to molecular tests. Antibody (serology) tests are not accepted because they do not provide evidence of current infection.

A molecular-based SARS-CoV-2 test is any of a number of tests that detect the presence of viral RNA (genes), such as reverse transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction (rt-PCR, e.g. Cepheid GeneXpert, KIngFisher System, ABI 7500 system), Transcription Mediated Amplification (TMA, e.g. the Hologic Panther system), and Isothermal Nucleic Acid Amplification (e.g. Abbott ID-NOW).

Alaska accepts results from FDA-approved home self-test swab kits.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:35 pm

I can report that arrival (as a non-resident) with test results already uploaded to the travel portal, went really quick. It took longer to ask questions about the second test 7-14 days after arrival (only if you stay more than 14 days), than getting my info verified. Everybody who pre-registered in the portal, went in a separate line. Those who haven’t, went in another line. I don’t know how long that takes and how they handle non-residents who didn’t have a test.

There were also sufficient people to handle the arriving flight, after midnight on AS, so pretty much the only flight at the time. (Much unlike back in July when arriving in the afternoon non-AS bank - it was a huge mess. I can only hope the new rules have also streamlined the non-AS arrival bank.)

Taking the second test was super quick at the airport, was in and out in 5 minutes. (Parking in the garage is free for the first 30 minutes, which was enough time.) Results came in on day 5, so not as quick. Others have reported 3 days. They state 3-5 days at the site. There are other test sites as well, but I don’t know how busy they are. The airport and one or two others will take the travel vouchers, but there appeared to also be free sites for walk-ups regardless of residency, you just need to register online.

As for the second test - it is free with a voucher, which you will be able to generate in the travel portal after you’ve been in AK for more than 7 days.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
It would be wonderful if someone can update the on the ground experiences at ANC, FAI and BRW. Planning a trip for June. I understand that situation is fluid. Hoping for some update on requirements regarding fulling vaccinated travelers.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 2:25 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
It would be wonderful if someone can update the on the ground experiences at ANC, FAI and BRW. Planning a trip for June. I understand that situation is fluid. Hoping for some update on requirements regarding fulling vaccinated travelers.
Actually there are no more requirements for entry into Alaska, just recommendations, except for Juneau. There is an option for a free COVID test even for visitors. Fully vaccinated or not the recommendations are the same.

Last edited by fti; Mar 16, 2021 at 2:35 am
Old Mar 16, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
The website still mention traveler declaration and proof of negative test result. I believe the optional COVID test is no longer free to tourists.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
"Fully vaccinated Americans can travel safely, CDC says. … A person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last dose of vaccine. Fully vaccinated people will not be required to get tested for COVID-19 prior to or after U.S. travel.”

Fully vaccinated Americans can travel safely, CDC says | Alerts | newsminer.com

But the AS Travel advisories don’t mention anything about vaccination. For the state of Alaska for instance, I read that "Travel from outside the state. Non-residents of Alaska should arrive with proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of their flight departure, or proof of pending results.”

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...vel-advisories

Nor does the state information website.

If you travel to Alaska, what are you to do?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:24 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
"Fully vaccinated Americans can travel safely, CDC says. … A person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last dose of vaccine. Fully vaccinated people will not be required to get tested for COVID-19 prior to or after U.S. travel.”

Fully vaccinated Americans can travel safely, CDC says | Alerts | newsminer.com

But the AS Travel advisories don’t mention anything about vaccination. For the state of Alaska for instance, I read that "Travel from outside the state. Non-residents of Alaska should arrive with proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of their flight departure, or proof of pending results.”

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...vel-advisories

Nor does the state information website.

If you travel to Alaska, what are you to do?
Before the state website said "must" but now it
says "should." Also COVID test at the airport is optional and free again for visitors.

Juneau has different more strict regulations.

Last edited by fti; Apr 6, 2021 at 4:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.