FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-449/)
-   -   Lower 48 Cell carrier coverage in AK? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska/1919059-lower-48-cell-carrier-coverage-ak.html)

KRSW Jul 9, 2018 4:26 pm

Lower 48 Cell carrier coverage in AK?

Hi all,
Looks like a few of us in my office will be spending quite a bit of time in AK over the next few months, starting Saturday (just got the e-mail about an hour ago). We have a split Verizon / T-Mobile contract for cell service at the office. Which carrier would be better suited for AK? It's my understanding that T-Mobile has agreements with GCI. I can't find much info on what Verizon has up there.

Xlr Jul 15, 2018 9:58 am

T-Mobile works pretty much perfectly with GCI. You may have to change your on-device settings to enable data roaming.

RoamingGeek Jul 16, 2018 6:35 pm

I have heard rumors about Verizon working in Anchorage but cannot confirm as I am on ATT

jackal Jul 19, 2018 2:58 am

Verizon now provides native LTE service in most of Alaska's population centers (Anchorage/the Valley/the Kenai Peninsula plus the Juneau and Fairbanks areas). The Verizon coverage map is accurate: https://www.verizonwireless.com/feat...map=4glte#maps

Because it's a recent addition (previously, they roamed on ACS), they only installed 4G LTE. If you have a 3G/CDMA device, it will not connect to native Verizon and will (slowly) roam on GCI's legacy CDMA network. As well, if you travel outside of the native LTE coverage area, you'll fall back to 3G/CDMA, but it will be roaming on GCI's legacy CDMA network.

Native T-Mobile subscribers may be able to roam on GCI (I cannot confirm, as I do not have T-Mo), but I can tell you that MVNOs that use the T-Mo network likely will not roam.

Among the national providers, AT&T provides the best coverage (by far) in Alaska, with Verizon in a distant second. T-Mo has no native service in Alaska (you'll have to rely on other reports about roaming agreements), and Sprint is the worst of the bunch (no native service and very poor roaming agreements, if any).

For mission-critical connectivity outside of the populated centers of the state, the only realistic option is GCI's newer GSM/HSPA/LTE network. They do have various prepaid products (SIMs, etc.) that may help.

monitor Jul 19, 2018 9:10 pm

We used T-Mo recently in ANC and the data and voice service were perfect on the GCI network. However voice mail did not work up there on either of our lines. A check seemed to show that call forwarding seemed not to work. We needed to keep the phones handy so as not to miss any calls.

fti Jul 20, 2018 6:20 am

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 29993175)
We used T-Mo recently in ANC and the data and voice service were perfect on the GCI network. However voice mail did not work up there on either of our lines. A check seemed to show that call forwarding seemed not to work. We needed to keep the phones handy so as not to miss any calls.

I have T Mobile and voice mail works in Alaska when entering a password after dialing voice mail. There is also a "visual voicemail" app at least for Android thatworks great for missed calls. You can play back missed messages through that app.

monitor Jul 20, 2018 12:19 pm

Neither worked for me last week. As usual. YMMV

Sweetone Aug 3, 2018 12:28 pm

I got excellent service in Anchorage airport on AT&T. Absolutely no service outside of Anchorage. It was kind of nice.;)

jackal Aug 4, 2018 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sweetone (Post 30044252)
I got excellent service in Anchorage airport on AT&T. Absolutely no service outside of Anchorage. It was kind of nice.;)

Where was "outside of Anchorage"?

allset2travel Aug 14, 2018 7:31 pm

T-Mobile in Fairbanks?

How is the coverage in Fairbanks for T-Mobile? Thanks

Chugach Sep 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 30083562)
How is the coverage in Fairbanks for T-Mobile? Thanks

If it’s roaming on GCI it’ll be extensive.

Most of the big national companies work just fine in the areas you’d expect it to. The one exception I’d say is Sprint.

FlyinHawaiian Jul 20, 2023 2:23 pm

T-Mobile user here. I spent a week out at Elfin Cove travelling to/from Juneau via boat. As stated above, no issues with 5G in most of Juneau proper via GCI roaming with some dead spots as one drives north past Auke Bay to the end of the road. Heading out to sea, surprisingly good LTE coverage for about 40 miles and then it becomes very spotty with mostly AT&T service. In Elfin Cove proper, the only reliable connection limited to text messages.