FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Exit row vs Bulkhead on 737-800 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/897960-exit-row-vs-bulkhead-737-800-a.html)

spgaston Dec 10, 2008 8:48 pm

Exit row vs Bulkhead on 737-800

Hey all,

Due to my extreme height :p I always sit in the exit row, but I seem to remember last time I was boarding a 738 that row 6 with no hard divider looked attractive. I know row 6 has trays in the armrests, one of the annoying things about exit rows and bulkheads, but I don't remember if the exit row on the 738 has trays in the armrests or not (preference being for no tray when traveling with partner).

Anyway, general thoughts on row 6 vs exit row on the 738?

Does anybody know for sure if the armrests lift or are fixed in the exit row?

Thanks!

Rifleman69 Dec 10, 2008 11:02 pm

Just a divider curtain to the top of the seats, you can use the leg room although it is 2 seats in front of you so it's not always a straight shot.

Trays are in the armrests.

ANC Dec 10, 2008 11:19 pm

well be advised row 14 does NOT recline

brarrr Dec 10, 2008 11:37 pm

seatguru.com should have it all..

the 2 vs 3 seat divider difference shouldn't exist - they're both on the same two tracks running the length of the AC.

EIPremier Dec 10, 2008 11:38 pm

Row 15 (second exit row) is probably your best bet. Exit row tray tables are NOT in the armrests, only in the bulkhead row.

RodeoLinebacker Dec 11, 2008 9:05 am

I've been trying both locations (bulkhead and exit row) and my preference is for row 15. Other considerations aside, this is still the most comfortable and feels less cramped than the curtain bulkhead row.

spgaston Dec 11, 2008 9:35 am

Great info, thanks everyone. I guess I won't take a chance on row 6, mainly because I dislike the trays in armrests. If both rows had them it would be a wash and I would probably go to row 6 for quicker deplaning and a chance to see something out the window other than the wing. Since the seats are wider in the exit row because of regular armrests I think I'll go that route (tall people have proportionately larger waists :D ).

On that note, I wish more aircraft/airlines had regular tray tables in the exit rows (where possible of course).

COpltASgldPHX Dec 11, 2008 10:36 am

Originally Posted by spgaston (Post 10892293)
On that note, I wish more aircraft/airlines had regular tray tables in the exit rows (where possible of course).

The added pitch on some AC makes it a stretch, literally, to reach the seat-back tray table from the exit row seat. I forget which airline and aircraft I was on/in but it had both the seat-back AND armrest trays. (Might have been a Ted Airbus, but don't quote me on that.)

ChugiakAk Dec 11, 2008 11:49 am

I've done both and much prefer the exit row 15. You have good legroom in the bulkheads but that curtain makes things rather claustrophic on a long leg from Anchorage to Seattle.

spgaston Dec 11, 2008 11:57 am

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX (Post 10892684)
The added pitch on some AC makes it a stretch, literally, to reach the seat-back tray table from the exit row seat. I forget which airline and aircraft I was on/in but it had both the seat-back AND armrest trays. (Might have been a Ted Airbus, but don't quote me on that.)

DL has this on 763s at least. Obviously a tray without extensions is too short for an exit row, that's why the perfect exit row has trays with extenders on the seat back in front!

ANC RED-EYE Dec 11, 2008 4:58 pm

One more consideration...the window seat in the exit row has a cushion that is about 1/2 strength. It can become quite uncomfortable. The reason for this is clearance if the exit were to be used. In any case...considering all factors...the aisle seat in row 15 may just be the best coach seat on the 800's. Full recline, full cushion, normal armrest, and increased legroom.

Do we put too much thought into this...well, I guess not - we just spend WAY too much time in the air!

spgaston Dec 11, 2008 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE (Post 10894908)
One more consideration...the window seat in the exit row has a cushion that is about 1/2 strength. It can become quite uncomfortable. The reason for this is clearance if the exit were to be used. In any case...considering all factors...the aisle seat in row 15 may just be the best coach seat on the 800's. Full recline, full cushion, normal armrest, and increased legroom.

Do we put too much thought into this...well, I guess not - we just spend WAY too much time in the air!

I have really noticed this lately, another pet peeve of the exit row window seat.

This is probably my number one concern flying. It's the primary reason I strive for MVP status.

beckoa Dec 12, 2008 3:47 am

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE (Post 10894908)

Concur with all statements ^

And for some odd reason... I prefer 15 C over 15 D... not sure why... but I tend to fly on the left side of the A/C when presented a choice :confused::D

spgaston Dec 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 10896542)
Concur with all statements ^

And for some odd reason... I prefer 15 C over 15 D... not sure why... but I tend to fly on the left side of the A/C when presented a choice :confused::D

I'm all about the north side of the plane, or the dark side when traveling N/S :D

sigueugis Dec 13, 2008 12:44 am

Originally Posted by RodeoLinebacker (Post 10892081)
I've been trying both locations (bulkhead and exit row) and my preference is for row 15. Other considerations aside, this is still the most comfortable and feels less cramped than the curtain bulkhead row.

The trays are in the armrests in FC too - not a big deal to me - it's not like there is a meal to be served in flight. I'll take 6 over 15 for the early boarding (if not MVP) and exit.