FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   The Alaska Airlines Bored Room (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/794919-alaska-airlines-bored-room.html)

BOB W Apr 6, 2008 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9524561)
I might have to make a Cheerwine run if they do have it!

Sounds like a bottle might be in order for the next ANC doo...whenever that is.

jackal Apr 7, 2008 3:41 am

Leave it to Bob to be attracted to the word wine...:p

Sorry to disappoint you, Bob--Cheerwine is just cherry soda, although a highly-carbonated variant, and novel because it's produced in North Carolina and is hard to obtain in this part of the world...

Beckoa, you're leaving DEN on the 14th, right? What time? I arrive in DEN on the 13th in the evening (6 something, IIRC--remember, I got my layover extended) and am planning on taking Amtrak to SLC the next day. Do we still have time to meet up in DEN the night of the 13th?

(Or are you arriving in DEN on the 14th and I have all of this backwards?)

beckoa Apr 7, 2008 8:49 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9530569)

Beckoa, you're leaving DEN on the 14th, right? What time? I arrive in DEN on the 13th in the evening (6 something, IIRC--remember, I got my layover extended) and am planning on taking Amtrak to SLC the next day. Do we still have time to meet up in DEN the night of the 13th?

Yeh... it sounds like you got it backwards...

I get into ANC from my East Coast Tour the evening of the 13th at 7:33 PM
I take off from ANC to DEN (on the one-stop in SEA) at 12:30 AM arriving in DEN at 9:39 AM.
I then depart DEN for PDX at 6:23 PM and stop in both PDX (for 57 mins) and SEA (40 mins) on my way back to ANC... Then I'm stuck in the state for the rest of the summer (unless they have a super-spectacular fare sale)...

beckoa Apr 7, 2008 8:58 am

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 9530119)
Sounds like a bottle might be in order for the next ANC doo...whenever that is.

Leave it to Bob to be attracted to the word wine...:p

Sorry to disappoint you, Bob--Cheerwine is just cherry soda, although a highly-carbonated variant, and novel because it's produced in North Carolina and is hard to obtain in this part of the world...

I was wondering if Bob had heard of it too...

It is a curious name... I found the following on wikipedia:

As for the name, the company site explains "In the early 1900s, soft drinks were often named for their appearance, hence the names root beer and ginger ale. Therefore, it made sense to name a burgundy-red, bubbly, cherry concoction—Cheerwine."

Duckouttahere Apr 7, 2008 9:44 am

UA talking about selling off their Mileage Program

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9522230)
United's a lot bigger and, after their bankruptcy, a good deal stronger (financially, anyway, if not in employee morale...) than ATA, Hawaiian, or Skybus (the latter of which was, I'm guessing, simply a failed experiment), but here's my question: how secure are those miles?

UA MP is too valuable to toss out if there's a merger, so I don't expect any problems with a merger (at least more than the usual merger hiccups), but with, what is it, six airlines having failed this year--suddenly and without warning, at least to the casual observer (I know there were hints and signs for those paying close attention)--I'm just a tad nervous about UA suddenly going belly-up and me losing all those miles.

Anyone know enough about the strength of UA and their current situation to give me peace of mind, or should I suffer the lower redemption value and use the miles for 10 quick weekend trips to the Lower 48 in Y before they go away?

And please tell me AS is doing well...I already redeemed 150,000 miles for the BA trip, so I at least won't lose those, but I've got another 80,000 I have to decide what to do with. I'm not worried about AS, and I hope they'll be around forever (they sure sound like they're planning to, based on the long-term projects they keep talking about like MVPP, route expansions, etc.--dying carriers don't announce ambitious plans), but still...

I have heard that UA is talking about selling off it's Mileage program but I'm not sure how that will affect it long term. By selling it off, I'm assuming some other party will be responsible for maintaining it and selling miles to financial partners. I am just shy of 100K UA miles and am trying to save enough for a FC trip somewhere nice.

As far as AS MP, I have about 310K which I have been saving for a nice trip somewhere warm and tropical but I may decide to burn some since it appears AS is giving up the Bay Area market to WN :td: without a fight. I am worried about Alaska's long term outlook if they are giving up so easily on OAK-PDX. To me, PDX is Alaska territory and switching to CRJ's is probably going to cause a lot more people to fly WN from OAK-PDX or PDX -OAK. While AS may not be going after the Bay Area fliers, if they lose the PDX area fliers to WN, then why wouldn't WN try to break into SEA as well? Maybe after WN knocks Frontier out of Denver, then they'll take on AS in SEA...? Sorry to sound so doom and gloom. I love the great service at AS and it bothers me to see them slowly pull out of OAK.

jackal Apr 7, 2008 11:26 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 9531534)
Yeh... it sounds like you got it backwards...

I take off from ANC to DEN (on the one-stop in SEA) at 12:30 AM arriving in DEN at 9:39 AM.
I then depart DEN for PDX at 6:23 PM and stop in both PDX (for 57 mins) and SEA (40 mins) on my way back to ANC... Then I'm stuck in the state for the rest of the summer (unless they have a super-spectacular fare sale)...

Ah, OK. I forgot--we had sort of made plans to meet up in DEN before I changed my flight, since I was going to be arriving in DEN in the morning.

Now that I'm arriving in the late afternoon...maybe the plane I arrive on turns to become your plane! I arrive at 5:43pm (just checked)...so we'll probably pass each other at the gate! Make sure to flag me down.

beckoa Apr 7, 2008 11:42 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9532341)

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 9531534)

Ah, OK. I forgot--we had sort of made plans to meet up in DEN before I changed my flight, since I was going to be arriving in DEN in the morning.

Now that I'm arriving in the late afternoon...maybe the plane I arrive on turns to become your plane! I arrive at 5:43pm (just checked)...so we'll probably pass each other at the gate! Make sure to flag me down.

So I think I added to the confusion...:D

I arrive in DEN on the morning of the 14th... and leave the evening of the 14th... I was not clear about that in my prev. post... sorry. (Maybe I should stop taking over the AS Lounge for this:p...)

jackal Apr 7, 2008 11:51 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 9532420)
(Maybe I should stop taking over the AS Lounge for this:p...)

Isn't that what it's here for--to foster the community? :)

I had forgotten that you were just doing a day trip to DEN. I thought you were there for longer, hence my part in the confusion. No problem, anyway.

So, should we ask Cholula to order a few cases of Cheerwine for the lounge? Maybe he can use food industry connections to secure a discount. Shipping should be virtually no problem...:D

jackal Apr 7, 2008 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere (Post 9531837)
Sorry to sound so doom and gloom. I love the great service at AS and it bothers me to see them slowly pull out of OAK.

Well, eastwest said something in another thread that eased my mind a bit. Although cutbacks in service are never a happy thing to those affected, I think AS's management team is making decisions that will keep the company profitable and stable, and I don't think the cuts are a reflection of a bad long-term outlook. At least I hope not!

doog Apr 7, 2008 12:21 pm

I love the Lounge thread! I had Cheerwine a few years back when I visited a friend of mine at Duke, it's pretty different but kind of tasty. I can see why people in the Carolinas are so into it. I'd never heard of Moxie's before, so I'm pretty excited to head over there and see what kind of crazy stuff they've got in stock.

beckoa Apr 7, 2008 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9532468)
Isn't that what it's here for--to foster the community? :)

I had forgotten that you were just doing a day trip to DEN. I thought you were there for longer, hence my part in the confusion. No problem, anyway.

So, should we ask Cholula to order a few cases of Cheerwine for the lounge? Maybe he can use food industry connections to secure a discount. Shipping should be virtually no problem...:D

No problem...

So I said this in the OGG thread, but since AS is adding service there... anyone want to get together there if the price is right? (Wonder how much the inaugural will be on ANC-SEA-OGG? - anyone have access to the pricing as booking is not open yet?)

beckoa Apr 7, 2008 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9533248)
I might be...I have to check, but the 8160 miles this'd give might just be what requalifies me for MVP. I've got an unused companion fare cert, too...:cool:

(I work Wed-Sat, though, so I'd need to work out a trade at work, and I can't be gone for very long--a few days at most...or--I know it's almost a waste--but a there-and-back MR...)

Wow... it is disturbing how exited I am about this announcement!!! I just wish it was bookable already... like the initial Hawaii announcements were... since it seems AS is setting themselves up for a website crash...

It is a long flight for just a MR... but its OGG... a new AS destination!!!

Question on mileage earned though... according to the astute gc.kls2.com, one flies 2797 miles each way ANC-OGG and 2640 SEA-OGG... Do you think they are high/low or about on for mileage earned in Mileage Plan?

ANC-SEA is listed at being 1448 miles long, which is how many miles are earned in Mileage Plan...

jackal Apr 7, 2008 7:00 pm

Well, with my current plans, I'll be 8719 miles short of MVP.

The PR said the flight is SEA-OGG, but that ANC-OGG fares are bookable at the same $249 each way as SEA-OGG is...so I'm assuming that's ANC-SEA-OGG, not ANC-OGG non-stop! That's where I was getting the 8160 miles I came up with in the OGG thread. Please tell me if I'm interpreting things wrong! (Let's HOPE it's not a direct flight with the same flight number on both segments...that would screw with the mileage seriously.)

So that leaves me 559 miles short, assuming WebFlyer's mileage calculator's close to accurate. I suppose all I need, then, is an AS flight to FAI or something (there was almost a chance for me to do a one-way FAI-ANC flight after driving up a few months ago, but it didn't work out...darn)...or to somehow route myself back through a connection either in PDX or FAI (without the fare going up!).

This might work!

beckoa Apr 7, 2008 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9534786)
Well, with my current plans, I'll be 8719 miles short of MVP.

The PR said the flight is SEA-OGG, but that ANC-OGG fares are bookable at the same $259 each way as SEA-OGG is...so I'm assuming that's ANC-SEA-OGG, not ANC-OGG non-stop! That's where I was getting the 8160 miles I came up with in the OGG thread. Please tell me if I'm interpreting things wrong! (Let's HOPE it's not a direct flight with the same flight number on both segments...that would screw with the mileage seriously.)

So that leaves me 559 miles short, assuming WebFlyer's mileage calculator's close to accurate. I suppose all I need, then, is an AS flight to FAI or something (there was almost a chance for me to do a one-way FAI-ANC flight after driving up a few months ago, but it didn't work out...darn)...or to somehow route myself back through a connection either in PDX or FAI (without the fare going up!).

This might work!

An FT'er created Flying Fish, a desktop mileage calculator, and it comes up with 8176 miles for the proposed routing... so you're close either way... I think April/May AS is revving up about the competition for FAI/ADQ/CDV so an affordable r/t is possible that'll give you a bit of a buffer... still nothing like a $79 SEA-GEG-SEA run... but for AK not bad...

With my current fluid schedule I am 2823 short... so it'll help too, especially since 2 major trips are unbooked currently, (and am not sure if I'll make it or not)...

Duckouttahere Apr 8, 2008 10:02 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9534786)
The PR said the flight is SEA-OGG, but that ANC-OGG fares are bookable at the same $249 each way as SEA-OGG is...so I'm assuming that's ANC-SEA-OGG, not ANC-OGG non-stop! That's where I was getting the 8160 miles I came up with in the OGG thread. Please tell me if I'm interpreting things wrong! (Let's HOPE it's not a direct flight with the same flight number on both segments...that would screw with the mileage seriously.)

Jackal, I thought I read on the PR that it's the same fare from ANC-OGG as SEA-OGG but the fares were not valid flying through SEA from ANC. Could be I'm mistaking your comment. Had a late night at a concert...