FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   The Alaska Airlines Bored Room (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/794919-alaska-airlines-bored-room.html)

doog Jun 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9854494)
What say you?

That thread is quite entertaining, but I do like the civility and friendliness that generally permeates discussions here, on some of the higher traffic boards (I'm thinking AA) most topics get beaten to death, the end result is that new posters get treated to snarky replies to most questions. Even threads of interest to many in the forum get a whole boatload of sarcastic replies. If a lower-traffic board means that we maintain a friendly spirit, I'd say that's a fine trade-off.

johnp012001 Jun 11, 2008 12:55 am

Interesting, snarky has been used twice in this forum this week!

BW Flyer Jun 11, 2008 10:28 am

Vigorous debate is good, but personal attacks are not good. You never know, AS is a smaller airline with a smaller network, and the AS FFs are a smaller community, so you might end up sitting next to a FF that you agrued with and abused (through words) the other day.

Everybody is entitled to his/her opinions, and I like seeing other people's perspective on different issues, but why bother to attack other people's view point ? In a lot of issues, there are no black and white answers.

BW

Eastbay1K Jun 21, 2008 9:08 am

Missy - a riotous, opium-eating prostitute. I was really concerned when I read the review in yesterday's SF Chronicle. It turns out that the book is fiction.

The story is even set in the American West.

wsucougarchick05 Jun 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Can I just say a big THANK YOU to everyone here for being sane?

Here, we can have a mature, thought-provoking debate without idiotic remarks.

This is not about anything specific here on FT except for the fact that everyone here seems to be intelligent and even in the most heated discussions, we all act like adults!!

jackal Jun 23, 2008 8:51 pm

Well, at least over here on the AS forum! :p (You're right, though.)

I've really grown to appreciate the FT community over the last year--actually, almost a year to the day, as it was June 21, 2007 that I was inaugurated into the ANC-based FT community at Bob's Solstice DO! Ever since then, it's been great seeing familiar faces several times during all of our travels. And of course we just had that blitz of visitors in the last couple months! I've met several interesting characters, made several good friends, and look forward to seeing those I know in person again as well as meeting the faces behind the handles of friends I only know online.

But one thing remains for sure--we are a sane bunch of insane folks!

wsucougarchick05 Jun 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9927604)
Well, at least over here on the AS forum! :p (You're right, though.)

I've really grown to appreciate the FT community over the last year--actually, almost a year to the day, as it was June 21, 2007 that I was inaugurated into the ANC-based FT community at Bob's Solstice DO! Ever since then, it's been great seeing familiar faces several times during all of our travels. And of course we just had that blitz of visitors in the last couple months! I've met several interesting characters, made several good friends, and look forward to seeing those I know in person again as well as meeting the faces behind the handles of friends I only know online.

I'm in on that blitz of newcomers! :D

And yes, especially here in the AS forum! I haven't seen an ounce of...well,for lack of a better word...stupidity here yet. Every statement has been well thought out, every disagreement respectfully handled.

(I've been having a confrontational day on other discussion boards I go to...FT is my version of nirvana right now...LOL)

beckoa Jun 24, 2008 1:13 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9927604)

Insane is right! :p

BOB W Jun 24, 2008 10:18 pm

Insane???

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 9928437)
Insane is right! :p

We could do insane, but it takes a special effort on our part. Alcohol is usually involved:D :) ;) Of course it doesn't hurt if someone comes up to see us:cool:

beckoa Jun 25, 2008 3:56 am

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 9933882)
We could do insane, but it takes a special effort on our part. Alcohol is usually involved:D :) ;) Of course it doesn't hurt if someone comes up to see us:cool:

I'm further north... here in Eagle River :D

August 15 is the day... the location... 30000+ feet above sealevel headin' for OGG OMG!

jackal Jun 25, 2008 4:55 am

You know, if the summer weather doesn't shape up, then that HI trip will feel as good as getting out in the winter!

What's better: cool and rainy (like so far this year) or warm, clear, and smoky (like last year and the year before that and the year before that)?

makfan Jun 25, 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 9934707)
You know, if the summer weather doesn't shape up, then that HI trip will feel as good as getting out in the winter!

What's better: cool and rainy (like so far this year) or warm, clear, and smoky (like last year and the year before that and the year before that)?

We're having lots of warm and smoky in California this year. I'll take cool and foggy, thank you.

Valveman Jul 9, 2008 5:20 pm

By anonymous request ..... bringin' it round the horn!

OUCH!

I was told there were no upgrades available for todays flight .....
Why did I give up a perfectly good seat of 1F on tomorrows flight?

I was told, by the Kiosk, that my reservation needed special handling ......
Why am I even using that blasted touchscreen at the airport of the future?

I was wanded and padded by the TSA ......
The Kiosk probably ratted me out!

I was told to 'Wait A Minute', by the Boardroom Concierge ......
How much more convenient do I really need to make it - Boardroom Card w/ backside being my ID!

I was recognized today at 6A for being Gold .....
Wonderful! I just wasn't Gold enough today!

I've gotta ask myself - Did I have an attitude today? Maybe so! It's a seldom seen occurance, that Mr. Valveman has a 'tude - but today it's justified - I have a new Blackberry! :D

jackal Jul 9, 2008 8:13 pm

Oh, you and your new Blackberry...I'm gonna get a new iPhone!!

Seriously, anyone else planning on getting up early and lining up? I normally wouldn't, but I have two friends who are die-hard Apple and iPhone fanatics, and they want to line up at 6am (or earlier--I get off work at 2am and will probably go stake out our place in line then...) and be the first people in the state to get one.

I know, I know, crazy, huh?

If anyone wants to join me in suffering the mosquito-infested early morning air, I'll be at the main store (across from Lone Star in the Tudor business park) Friday morning...

BOB W Jul 9, 2008 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 10009730)
If anyone wants to join me in suffering the mosquito-infested early morning air, I'll be at the main store (across from Lone Star in the Tudor business park) Friday morning...

I wholeheartedly support your effort to keep a phone manufacturer afloat. It's how they can afford to keep making Macs;)
BTW, I won't be there:p