Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2000 miles short of AS Gold MVP renewal, do you think they'll give it to me anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2000 miles short of AS Gold MVP renewal, do you think they'll give it to me anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Question 2000 miles short of AS Gold MVP renewal, do you think they'll give it to me anyway?

Even after the MR I am planning to do, I will be about 2K miles short of the required combined 50K miles of partners and AS flights. I won't be doing any more travelling after 15th Dec (at least not on AS, AA and partner airlines anyway).

Do you think AS MVP will still give me MVP Gold status anyway or am I pushing my luck?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Do you think AS MVP will still give me MVP Gold status anyway?
We could speculate, but only Alaska can answer that one for sure. I'd say... Maybe.

If you have time, why not just buy a relatively inexpensive and short SEA-BOI r/t via PDX or GEG type trip with a one night stopover requirement. Better to be sure, I say.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
We could speculate, but only Alaska can answer that one for sure. I'd say... Maybe.

If you have time, why not just buy a relatively inexpensive and short SEA-BOI r/t via PDX or GEG type trip with a one night stopover requirement. Better to be sure, I say.
I'm going away next week... and will be free to do a MR on AS only from 12Dec onwards. Am planning YVR-SEA-ORD-SEA-PDX-SAN-PDX-SEA-YVR till 15Dec. After all this, I'll still be short about 2K miles. I'll be leaving for Asia after that and simply won't have any more time to fit in anymore MRs.

I'll have to plan how to squeeze in a few more...
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Be sure to ask the right person. It MAY be possible but it must be asked the right way. If you simply pose the question next year to a Mileage Plan Rep, who in turn asks a supervisor, I bet the answer will be an unsympathetic no and you will be left feeling the blues. They always encourage you to call over writing but I can't tell you the most effective method. I was very close the first time for MVP Gold with less than six months of travel for the year but they would not give it me. Pretty silly considering AS were actively running the promotion that year comping many elites from other airlines to MVP Gold.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would need to add all my miles up carefully. I may squeak by... but QUESTION: What is the mileage counted as MVP between SEA-PDX? The actual miles or the minimum 500 miles? If it's 500, I might be able to squeeze a couple more of those connections in between...

Thank you all for you help on this.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 7:47 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I would need to add all my miles up carefully. I may squeak by... but QUESTION: What is the mileage counted as MVP between SEA-PDX? The actual miles or the minimum 500 miles? If it's 500, I might be able to squeeze a couple more of those connections in between...

Thank you all for you help on this.
You will get 500 miles for SEA-PDX or any other route that's less than 500 miles. Sometimes doing a mini-mileage run on Horizon between cities in the Northwest can really add up. I often add PDX to my inbound and outbound flights to/from SEA to get the extra segment and 500 miles.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
You can also often get in two R/Ts in the same day within the PNW via the Horizon web specials on Saturday for like $60. I did SEA-BLI (morning) and SEA-YKM (morning) the same day for $120 combined to qualify for some specials. Even did the SEA-BLI run with some fellow FlyerTalkers. ^
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
You can also often get in two R/Ts in the same day within the PNW via the Horizon web specials on Saturday for like $60. I did SEA-BLI (morning) and SEA-YKM (morning) the same day for $120 combined to qualify for some specials. Even did the SEA-BLI run with some fellow FlyerTalkers. ^
Just don't plan a long layover in the BLI airport, there's not a whole lot to do.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Guy Betsy, I wouldn't take any chance this year. I get the feelin that AS is really trying to thin the ranks of MVP Golds. We too will be a bit short and are thinking of shooting down to Vegas just to top off our status.

Our original plan had been to bag AS, but we ended up so close that we may as well go for it.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:04 pm

Exactly what I'm doing... I'm short only ~1400 miles so flying to Vegas Dec 27th for a few days. Of course, this is for the 75K threshold bonus. Not that I need an excuse for Vegas ( ), but 50k bonus miles makes it a no-brainer.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 3:22 pm

I'm 44 miles short.
If nothing essential comes up in the next 2 weeks, I'll get a ride to LWS (30 miles away) and take a $50.66 one way 22 minute flight ...LWS to PUW.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.... I've added all my flights and I'm going to come up 831 miles short!

I currently slated to go to Asia in mid Dec. I might try and squeeze in a KLM flight inter-asia somewhere. KLM flights are counted as MVP partner flights right?
Old Nov 30, 2004, 7:31 am

Thank you everyone.... I've added all my flights and I'm going to come up 831 miles short!

I currently slated to go to Asia in mid Dec. I might try and squeeze in a KLM flight inter-asia somewhere. KLM flights are counted as MVP partner flights right?
Have you checked alaskaair.com? The answer is here: Mileage Plan Airline Partners
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:25 am

Some airlines will give you status if you come up a few miles short but if the amount is more than 500 to 1000 miles, it is doubtful they will bend (unless you only pay for full fare First class [that would make you wonder why do you care about status]).

Put another way, if someone owes you $1000.00, are you going to settle for $900?
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tango
Put another way, if someone owes you $1000.00, are you going to settle for $900?
Maybe - if the $100 meant I'd lose $1000 next year.
b.xiao likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.