Search

What’s your most FlyerTalk routing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K
What’s your most FlyerTalk routing?

ANC-LAX-JFK (RIP), for example.

I’m currently on a misrouted UPS package itinerary and loving it. SNA-SEA-LAX-LHR (RT) for only a few dollars more each way than LAX-LHR. Don’t need the EQM, but the RDM obv made it worth it.

Specifically, what’s your most nonsensical routing and was it offered organically or was it a multi-city you built?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
Last year booked a LAX-EWR-SEA-PDX one-way itin. Generated on google flights and then booked through the link to the AS website and priced within a few dollars of the equivalent LAX-PDX non-stop.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I'm flying JFK - SAN - MCO for a meet up in December.

One itinerary that I was especially proud of but didn't get to fly because of Covid is JFK - LAX - BOS - NRT - CGK on JAL.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
PVG-GUM-TKK-PNI-KSA-KWA-MAJ-HNL-SFO(crew change only)-EWR-SNA. 55 hours in E-, 13664 miles flown.

Did it back in 2017, when I was only 20, so I couldn't even drink alcohol on the plane.. somehow I survived that ride.. cost me $350 on a single ticket. 100% credited into SQ which helped me reach my first useful elite status (star gold).
​​​​​​
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
I often see FAI - ANC - FAI - SEA - XXX show up when looking at flights. I have actually booked it a few times, as I will always take the miles and the price difference in minimal. It really depends on my schedule though.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
~2007 I did a couple of trips DCA-LAX-SEA-SNA for maybe $20 over DCA-SEA-SNA, which was maybe $20 over the DCA-LAX that I initially booked to submit with my expense report

this past summer we nested a FRA-AMS-BIO round-trip (KL using DL miles) into a paid SEA<>FRA on DE … about a month before departure, we learned that my best friend’s son’s wedding was going to be on the day of our BIO-FRA trip … in BKK

I didn’t want to mess with the FRA-SEA return which was three days later, so we left BIO-AMS a day early, flew KL J AMS<>BKK (10.5 hrs out, 48 hrs on the ground, 11.5 hrs back with the same flight and cabin crew), and a connection to AMS-FRA

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 26, 2023 at 2:42 pm
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave
I often see FAI - ANC - FAI - SEA - XXX show up when looking at flights. I have actually booked it a few times, as I will always take the miles and the price difference in minimal. It really depends on my schedule though.
Not AS but when US existed back then, I’d book those $49 BWI-PHL-DCA-PBI flights and be upgraded into First Class every time and the return would be something like PBI-PHL-DCA-CLT-BWI but US had such poor performance back then so I’d get off in DCA and get my original routing credit.
Crazy Dave likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: All the Programs...
MSY-SEA-PDX (overnight) -SEA-SJC-SLC, manually created for not too much more than MSY-SEA-SLC.
TalkingPoint likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Back when AS was partners with both DL and AA, I flew BHM-ATL-SEA-PDX-LAX (Overnight) -LAS-BLI on a total of five different airlines. Fares were combinable and AS had much more permissive routings at the time.

Later on I booked BLI-SEA-SMF-PSP (Overnight) -SLC-LAX-MCO-MEM-BHM but had to skip SMF due to a mechanical issue in BLI. ATL was closed for three days at that point so I'm lucky I had avoided a connection there and only landed 15 minutes late due to traffic.

At the time DL had a policy of rebooking after any 15+ minute change in schedule, even due to an early arrival, and would endorse over to AS without issue so I routinely got rerouted to LAS and rebooked onto the 10PM LAS-SEA with an almost guaranteed upgrade that had to be processed at the gate.

I would routinely fly BHM-ATL-BNA-ATL-SEA and vice versa because it was cheaper to combine two DL fares where DL was matching WN and my school's airport shuttle didn't work well for transcontinental flight times, so why not fly in first class on a DC-9 throughout the Southeast instead of sitting in the old BHM airport terminal? One time BNA-ATL was possibly sold out and due to other flights being sold out as well, I was able to convince the GA in BNA that the quickest, most logical routing with availability would end up being BHM-ATL-BNA-CVG-MSP-ANC-SEA. The GA thought that ANC was "right next" to SEA despite such a connection adding almost 4,000 miles to my trip. Sadly, they didn't need my seat.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imaflyertalkuserwow
ANC-LAX-JFK (RIP), for example.

I’m currently on a misrouted UPS package itinerary and loving it. SNA-SEA-LAX-LHR (RT) for only a few dollars more each way than LAX-LHR. Don’t need the EQM, but the RDM obv made it worth it.

Specifically, what’s your most nonsensical routing and was it offered organically or was it a multi-city you built?
Pre-covid, SFO-JFK-SEA-NRT-BKK, returning via the same route.

SFO-JFK was a separate ticket and earned double miles. JFK-BKK was a good business class fare on JL. Routing through SEA earned double miles on SEA-NRT and back (it was a new route at the time). I was MVP75K at the time and so earned all the status bonuses. IIRC it was something like 80k or 90k RDM when all was said and done, after CoS bonuses, status bonuses, and promo bonuses (though I don't remember exactly), and a pleasant weekend getaway in Bangkok.
williwaw likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 4:08 pm

Had JFK-HND-MEL-SYD-CGK-NRT/HND-JFK in April this year, with overnight in SYD, CGK, and NRT/HND. Had a separate ticket for LAX-JFK-LAX on both ends. Around 106K RDM.

Last edited by hsumh316; Oct 26, 2023 at 4:13 pm Reason: Added RDM
Old Oct 26, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I’ll miss when this time in history passes.

I did a SFO-CLE-HPN-CLE-SFO lap for $99 once to buy a cake for my mom in NY as a surprise for Saturday dinner in SF. Even left SFO after work on Friday.
leroix and renila like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by imaflyertalkuserwow
IDK, does "hey, I'll book MEX-DFW-SEA as an award and throw on SEA-PHX after the SEA stopover for funsies and get a free one-way" count?

(AA Partner award on AS with SEA stopover, MEX-PHX. You can probably do this as MEX-Hawaii as well.)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 26, 2023 at 4:32 pm
Old Oct 26, 2023, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I’ll probably regret this, but what have you done with James (Flying for Fun)?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 5:31 pm
Original Member

Have an upcoming AA award: DTW-PHL-ZRH-LCY-RTM...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.