Wiki Posts
Search

PAE Isn’t SEA (XXX Isn't YYY)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
PAE Isn’t SEA (XXX Isn't YYY)

Everett (PAE) isn’t Seattle. OAK and SJC aren’t referred to as San Francisco, so why isn’t Everett listed as Everett? I forgot I booked from PAE. Glad I remembered before I drove to SEA! This seems fairly new.
AS Flyer, jhawk737 and Bellerina like this.
Old May 23, 2023, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
You can choose to search “All Airports” or the specific airport on Desktop, and on the App it allows you to select which airport you want and search results will exclude all others. I’m also certain it gives a fairly apparent warning with regards to choosing the correct airport. This is the case for Los Angeles, Bay Area, and Seattle. There is no perfect solution, and I’m not even sure the current system is a problem.
Old May 23, 2023, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lattegirl13
Everett (PAE) isn’t Seattle. OAK and SJC aren’t referred to as San Francisco, so why isn’t Everett listed as Everett? I forgot I booked from PAE. Glad I remembered before I drove to SEA! This seems fairly new.
That's absurd. There is no way the average flyer would know to go to Everett and not SeaTac.
Old May 23, 2023, 10:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
You can choose to search “All Airports” or the specific airport on Desktop, and on the App it allows you to select which airport you want and search results will exclude all others. I’m also certain it gives a fairly apparent warning with regards to choosing the correct airport. This is the case for Los Angeles, Bay Area, and Seattle. There is no perfect solution, and I’m not even sure the current system is a problem.
Absolutely, co-terminals are a thing and I have no problem with it surfacing then during the booking process. But if the flight is already booked the ticket boarding pass should definitely say the correct city yourself flying out of. That way you don't buy the wrong ticket (you'd see during checkout "Everett WA") or go to the wrong airport.

​​​​If I remember right, last time I flew out of IAD it specidied Dulles. Just putting "Seattle, WA" is definitely going to send some people to the wrong airport when they could absolutely say "Everett WA"
Old May 23, 2023, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

this is an unanticipated consequence of the latest booking engine update that added PAE to the Seattle entry in the *alphabetical* dropdown lists for origin and destination

we’ll have to retrain ourselves to drag the cursor down to “Seattle/Tacoma - SEA” rather than just clicking

DLASflyer and Bellerina like this.
Old May 23, 2023, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
You’re missing my point. I purposely chose to fly out of Paine field. I fly at least three times a month with the majority of flights out of SEA. The app should show the correct airport on your trips.
Old May 23, 2023, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
On the App, AS refers to PAE as Seattle, WA (PAE-Seattle/Everett) and SEA as Seattle, WA (SEA-Seattle/Tacoma Int.) It isn't consistent with the Bay Area Airport Codes. When you enter OAK it doesn't return San Francisco (OAK-San Francisco/Oakland Int.). For consistency, when you enter PAE or Everett, it should return Everett, WA (PAE-Everett/Seattle) but you get Seattle, WA (PAE-Seattle/Everett). Easy to see the confusion.

But it gets better! If you search for SEA, you get both airports with Seattle, WA (SEA-Seattle/Tacoma Int) as the first option. However, if you search for Seattle, you also get both airports but Seattle, WA (PAE-Seattle/Everett) is now the first option.

If we look at the immediate coterminals in Los Angeles & the Bay area, only LAX-SNA is farther than SEA-PAE.

The search results should be relevant and ordered accordingly. The prior example exemplifies that it doesn't have to be alphabetical.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; May 23, 2023 at 11:26 pm
Old May 23, 2023, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by remyjette
​​​​If I remember right, last time I flew out of IAD it specidied Dulles. Just putting "Seattle, WA" is definitely going to send some people to the wrong airport when they could absolutely say "Everett WA"
I feel like last time I flew in/out of Dulles it said Dulles in the title. But just checked my flight for tomorrow and it is like PAE with just the airport code in small letters. Major Dislike.
BryanIAH and ezefllying like this.
Old May 24, 2023, 4:43 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Neither DCA nor IAD are in Washington DC, yet that's the city that shows for both of them.
​​​​​​
moondog likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Bellerina
I feel like last time I flew in/out of Dulles it said Dulles in the title. But just checked my flight for tomorrow and it is like PAE with just the airport code in small letters. Major Dislike.
Yeah, that's definitely new, it said Dulles, VA last time I flew out of IAD.
Bellerina likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 5:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Off the top of my head (there are many examples), airports that aren't in the city listed in their display names:
EWR
DCA
IAD
BWI
SFO
PKX
NRT
STN
mildfrequence likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 6:12 am

Also the SJC reference in the OP is weird. San Jose has a larger population than San Francisco. Oakland is smaller, but still one of the largest cities in America.
Everett has 1/7 the population of Seattle.

if you forget what airport you booked at and can't be bothered to look at the three letter code, you risk the error that dozens of people make every day at LGA/JFK, DCA/IAD, LIN/MXP, LHR/LGW, HND/NRT... At some point, the passenger needs to take responsibility.
​​​​​
​​​​​
Old May 24, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
There is a disclaimer when booking. If you can’t see the difference in airports maybe you should fly Southwest or Spirit. 😉
Old May 24, 2023, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
There is a disclaimer when booking. If you can’t see the difference in airports maybe you should fly Southwest or Spirit. 😉
The OP bookend the airport they wanted. That isn’t the problem.

Originally Posted by lattegirl13
You’re missing my point. I purposely chose to fly out of Paine field. I fly at least three times a month with the majority of flights out of SEA. The app should show the correct airport on your trips.
lensovet, mtxing and Bellerina like this.
Old May 24, 2023, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The OP bookend the airport they wanted. That isn’t the problem.
So what *is* the problem? Some sort of regional pride finding it offensive to say Seattle instead of Everett?
Note, Paine Field's own marketing materials refer to it as serving "Seattle", "Seattle and Northwest Washington," and "Seattle/Everett." Paine Field itself is also outside Everett city limits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.