Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BOI>>OGG in Jan 2023 - Which City to Connect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

Due to a schedule change I now have the option of connecting at LAX, SFO, SJC or SEA for a January flt. Which airport would you connect through? SEA often has weather issues in the winter. SFO & SJC can have also have weather issues.. LAX a good option, weather wise, but last year my LAX-OGG flt was cancelled.

I like SEA b/c there are more options if IRROPS occur. Your thoughts?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by philemer
Due to a schedule change I now have the option of connecting at LAX, SFO, SJC or SEA for a January flt. Which airport would you connect through? SEA often has weather issues in the winter. SFO & SJC can have also have weather issues.. LAX a good option, weather wise, but last year my LAX-OGG flt was cancelled.

SJC. Great airport, never any lineups. And if you have Priority Pass, the Club lounge is great and very close to the gates that AS normally uses for Hawaii flights.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I’d probably take SJC too, but who knows if that BOI-SJC will even be operating then…it’s a bit of a crapshoot to assume it will be at this point. You’re safer w/SEA, but you can always change it again later as you’ll have tons of schedule changes between now and then anyways.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:17 pm

And don’t worry about weather delays in SJC, it’s uncommonly rare, unlike SFO.
philemer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
SJC. Great airport, never any lineups. And if you have Priority Pass, the Club lounge is great and very close to the gates that AS normally uses for Hawaii flights.
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I’d probably take SJC too, but who knows if that BOI-SJC will even be operating then…it’s a bit of a crapshoot to assume it will be at this point. You’re safer w/SEA, but you can always change it again later as you’ll have tons of schedule changes between now and then anyways.
Good thoughts. Originally scheduled to depart BOI at 10:25am, via SFO. That flt canceled and they proactively offered me the same routing but now departing at 7:15am. Should I just not make a decision now and see what happens between now and Jan.? Or would you call in and ask for the BOI-SJC-OGG routing now?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:27 pm

Good thoughts. Originally scheduled to depart BOI at 10:25am, via SFO. That flt canceled and they proactively offered me the same routing but now departing at 7:15am. Should I just not make a decision now and see what happens between now and Jan.? Or would you call in and ask for the BOI-SJC-OGG routing now?
I would, knowing that it’s likely going to change again, which can then also be used to your advantage.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

My thoughts are that (well, it is a singular thought) if you book out far enough, eventually all roads are likely to lead to SEA, whether you want them to or not.
philemer, NoLaGent, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just called in and switched to SJC option. I'm guessing there will be 1 or 2 more schedule changes between now and January. Thanks to both of you.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:56 pm

SJC rarely has weather delays, and it has a lot less congestion than LAX. So SJC seems like the clear winner here subject to concerns about flight cancellations or a lack of connection options if something does go wrong.
philemer and nomad420 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K
SJC is probably the best if you're hoping for an upgrade too.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtofell
SJC is probably the best if you're hoping for an upgrade too.
Just a wee GM so no chance of that. Now if U space opens up...........
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
No ANC?

SJC should be a good option. Which gets you into OGG the earliest?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
No ANC?

SJC should be a good option. Which gets you into OGG the earliest?
We don't like arriving too early since our condo isn't usually available til 4pm. All the options arrive before before 3pm.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

shouldn't have issues. If you have status you have better upgrade chance. When I’ve flown from CA I’ve gotten upgrade to FC
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BOI-SJC-OGG booked.
dayone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.