Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Moving to (Harvey Milk) Terminal 1 at SFO in 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Moving to (Harvey Milk) Terminal 1 at SFO in 2024

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by Visconti
T2 is unmatched in terms of ease and environment, at least in my view. Get out of the car, go through Clear and whatever Gate in about 10 minutes. The AS lounge is so convenient here, one can leave literally within minutes of boarding or final boarding time.

I can see why UA covets it, not to mention access to the Amex CL now. This was supposed to have been VX's designated T (like T5 is for B6 in JFK) because they were our hometown airline, the only one from the ground up and born in SF.
After many years of flying VX and then Alaska out of T2 and also an Amex Platinum cardholder, I finally was able to visit the Centurion Lounge at SFO. They finally connect T3 to T2 airside...and that means Alaska has to move?! I don't usually have much time before my flight but damn...
Visconti, be_rettSEA and ItsAnAdam like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:29 pm

Would moving to T1 made AS easier to turn International inbond flight from Mexico to domestic without towing the aircraft from International Terminal A to T2 since T1 is connected to International Terminal A, and AS can use the morning Terminal A as overflow?
Old Apr 29, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by yuenpo
Would moving to T1 made AS easier to turn International inbond flight from Mexico to domestic without towing the aircraft from International Terminal A to T2 since T1 is connected to International Terminal A, and AS can use the morning Terminal A as overflow?
Even better than that is access to the swing gates in T1 for intl arrivals.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
T1 has 25 gates and AS has ~ 10 gate at T2. This will allow them to pick up a few more gates at T1. This is all, IMO, being close to the OW partners in T1 and International. I look forward to the move and their new lounge. Hope they start working on it now and have it open by the time they move.
I think the point is that AS doesn't need 10 gates to run its humble SFO operation.

Presumably they're moving to a smaller footprint in T1 (or at least more flexible, with gates that can be shared)
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I think the point is that AS doesn't need 10 gates to run its humble SFO operation.

Presumably they're moving to a smaller footprint in T1 (or at least more flexible, with gates that can be shared)
If they want fewer gates, they could've just stayed in T2 since UA's eating up T2 gates anyway.

When they move to T1, they at least have 8 to 9 gates which are held by B6 & WN right now, with no one there to take them away from AS.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97

When they move to T1, they at least have 8 to 9 gates which are held by B6 & WN right now, with no one there to take them away from AS.
No they won’t. B6 moved there to be close to AA and to grow SFO. Why would they move? AS will just have a portion of the gates which are currently vacant in T1.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
No they won’t. B6 moved there to be close to AA and to grow SFO. Why would they move? AS will just have a portion of the gates which are currently vacant in T1.
Oh! How many gates are vacant? What portion is going to AS? Which gates are going to AS? Thanks in advance. VX is defunct, in case you didn't know. I hope that helps.

James
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The whole "number of gates" issue is really academic at this point given AS's diminishing footprint at SFO. As someone who regularly flies out of all three domestic terminals at SFO, I like T1 the least, by a fairly large margin.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
The whole "number of gates" issue is really academic at this point given AS's diminishing footprint at SFO. As someone who regularly flies out of all three domestic terminals at SFO, I like T1 the least, by a fairly large margin.
diminished now but IMO, I believe they will grow in the future.BY 2024, when they plan to move, who knows what the travel industry will look like. Recently, they named a new VP for California who is based down the road from SFO in Burlingame. As one who flies SFO-JFK often, I noticed they offer more service into JFK from SFO than even SEA, albeit only by one.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
diminished now but IMO, I believe they will grow in the future.BY 2024, when they plan to move, who knows what the travel industry will look like. Recently, they named a new VP for California who is based down the road from SFO in Burlingame. As one who flies SFO-JFK often, I noticed they offer more service into JFK from SFO than even SEA, albeit only by one.
Not recently. They have been cancelling 1-2 flights every day lately.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As one who flies SFO-JFK often, I noticed they offer more service into JFK from SFO than even SEA, albeit only by one.
Because they've reduced service SFO-SEA. On many days, there's no longer an early morning flight, pushing business travelers to DL, which has a daily 6:20 am (usually at a lower fare than AS).

Also, per sfozrhfco, with AS these days it's probably more relevant to talk about flights actually operated as opposed to "scheduled."
Old May 1, 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Not recently. They have been cancelling 1-2 flights every day lately.
yes, found out this morning when they canceled my SFO-EWR flight tomorrow evening.
Old May 1, 2022, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Because they've reduced service SFO-SEA. On many days, there's no longer an early morning flight, pushing business travelers to DL, which has a daily 6:20 am (usually at a lower fare than AS).

Also, per sfozrhfco, with AS these days it's probably more relevant to talk about flights actually operated as opposed to "scheduled."
to me, this has to be a staffing issue. There are certainly challenges ahead for AS throughout their network.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by cpworld
After many years of flying VX and then Alaska out of T2 and also an Amex Platinum cardholder, I finally was able to visit the Centurion Lounge at SFO. They finally connect T3 to T2 airside...and that means Alaska has to move?! I don't usually have much time before my flight but damn...
obviously there's a lot of time between now and then but VS might be an intriguing alternative post-move (airside connection to Intl A)
Old May 9, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer
Air Canada and Breeze moving to T2

In the meantime, some news...

New neighbors in T2 starting this month:
Air Canada (May 11) - ticket counter next to Delta; 2 preferential-use gates; up to 13 flights daily
Breeze Airways (May 25) - ticket counter next to AS; common-use gate; 1-2 flights daily

TSA security checkpoint changes (May 12):
Employees/vendors and KCM will relocate to C checkpoint, making all of D checkpoint for passengers only.
PreCheck will then use the employee/vendor lanes (side entrance past the restrooms) during peak morning hours initially.

Also in the works: the return of curbside check-in service (mornings starting mid-June).
maradori and anhuang19 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.