Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Moving to (Harvey Milk) Terminal 1 at SFO in 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Moving to (Harvey Milk) Terminal 1 at SFO in 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2022, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
At the end of the construction mess, I'd expect that we'll have Int'l A, B, and C gates for relatively easy access security. [I'd also expect the C gates to make a miraculous return to T1, notwithstanding their complete lack of move.]
While I'm not an uneducated person, I just can't keep track of SFO anymore and my brain literally hurts just reading of all these changes. Can someone dumb it down for me? T1 is isolated and the rest are connected? Yeah?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Visconti
While I'm not an uneducated person, I just can't keep track of SFO anymore and my brain literally hurts just reading of all these changes. Can someone dumb it down for me? T1 is isolated and the rest are connected? Yeah?
The B pier of T1 is connected to International A. C/D/E/F/G are all now connected. [Note that C was historically part of T1 and probably will be again someday.]
Visconti likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
I'll miss T2, best pier at the airport
Eastbay1K, Visconti and ssk244 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep. I dread that walk. It seems all my AA flights arrive/depart from the farthest possible gate. It was definitely a design fail by SFO not to close that loop.

At least UA T3 has the bouncy walkways.
I had flights out of F22 (UA) and B22 (AA) this week, and I would say slightly longer to walk the length of F than B.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I don't think B6 will move. They coordinate with AA on their JFK flights and only have 3-4 gates now
Would make no sense to have B6 move. There are plenty of gates in T1 and with AS shrinking their regional operation, they will likely have less flights with bigger planes anyway. That is already happening now on routes such as SFO-LAX which have started the upgauging/frequency cut process.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I had flights out of F22 (UA) and B22 (AA) this week, and I would say slightly longer to walk the length of F than B.
The length of the piers seem similar, but F has moving walkways that cover more of the total distance than B.

Also when exiting T1, after reaching the "base" of the pier, one has to walk several hundred feet in the direction of the Intl terminal (past security and behind the check-in counters) just to leave the terminal.

When T1 first opened, there was an exit (actually the only exit) that would bypass all that, but that was closed (along with the T1 AirTrain station) presumably for the construction taking place in the area.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Already reported, but it wasn't known whether they'd have a lounge. Note that this release is a bit vague about when the lounge will open.

This is a bummer. T1 is a hassle, whereas T2 is the best terminal at SFO in terms of convenience. Really hope their gates are not way out at the end like AA.
+1000% I personally think T2 has the best concessions - Peets, Lark Creek, burgers, sushi, pretty much everything plus the wonderful huge new lounge in the old AA space. And as noted it is super easy to get through security to the gates. Cannot stand T1 or any of the concessions (nothing against the namesake of course). Awful. Bad decision by AS.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Cannot stand T1 or any of the concessions (nothing against the namesake of course). Awful. Bad decision by AS.
Agreed. Unlike the rest of the terminal, the T1 Harvey Milk tribute is extremely well done. Always takes me back to the day he and Mayor Moscone were assassinated. I was in 8th grade wood shop and they announced it over the PA.
Carfield and NoLaGent like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Haven’t been in T1 in probably a decade. Always struck me as the “cats and dogs” terminal of SFO where they put all the airlines with just a few flights a day. I visited T2 after the remodel at an open house event and was amazed at how nice it was (I was mostly a UA flyer at the time). And loved it when AS finally moved in.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Haven’t been in T1 in probably a decade. Always struck me as the “cats and dogs” terminal of SFO where they put all the airlines with just a few flights a day.
The T1 of a decade ago was a completely different building that is no longer there. I remember it mostly being stuffy and crowded.
notquiteaff and mildfrequence like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by ssk244
This is annoying. T1 is shiny and new but really poorly laid out and such a long walk to get from place to place. Also HATE the security at T1, even with Clear/Precheck. Gonna miss T2 after the switch is made
yeah, I was really unhappy when I realized my tubs were getting intermingled with the next person’s tubs because you have to send one into the conveyor to get the second tub. Definitely seems riskier for belongings mixups and slower.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by econ
The T1 of a decade ago was a completely different building that is no longer there. I remember it mostly being stuffy and crowded.

Yeah, I have, of course, seen the gutting and rebuilding while taxiing and taking the sky train.

The airport has changed so much since my first flight out of SFO in 1989.

Originally Posted by makfan
yeah, I was really unhappy when I realized my tubs were getting intermingled with the next person’s tubs because you have to send one into the conveyor to get the second tub. Definitely seems riskier for belongings mixups and slower.
Uh, did they copy that from LHR T5? I hate that. My wife had her little plastic bag of medicines stolen because of it and the “security” people couldn’t have cared less.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Mar 27, 2022 at 8:59 am
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:06 am

As former VX crew (and now former AS), it is sad to see them give up the best terminal in SFO. Lots of good memories there from Virgin America. I do not buy the taxi/fuel savings argument; that was best at T2 for both departure and arrival. Here's to whoever uses T2 in the future.... United has begun to use some of those gates as overflow
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Citabria
As former VX crew (and now former AS), it is sad to see them give up the best terminal in SFO. Lots of good memories there from Virgin America. I do not buy the taxi/fuel savings argument; that was best at T2 for both departure and arrival. Here's to whoever uses T2 in the future.... United has begun to use some of those gates as overflow
AS will have limited taxi/fuel savings if it can use the gates that have access to the international arrivals facility.

Even without lounge access, T2 was a pleasant place to hang out. It was also just about perfect timing to make the "I'll be outside in 5" call as I disembark and my ride waiting in the cellphone lot would meet me in almost perfect timing.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Citabria
Here's to whoever uses T2 in the future.... United has begun to use some of those gates as overflow
I am surprised that they need more space. I assume they are still not running most of their Asia flights and thus have less flights to feed. Has their domestic network grown so much, and are they going to be the new tenants of that terminal, or will someone else move in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.