FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Singapore (SQ) Awards on AS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2070091-singapore-sq-awards.html)

EyesOnly Feb 25, 2022 11:13 pm

Singapore (SQ) Awards on AS?

Anyone notice that you can book economy award tickets with Singapore Airlines again, but somehow literally zero business class seats are available? I called an agent who confirmed the same non-availability of business class on any flight, anywhere. Anyone have any insight on this? I’d love to fly them again.

lax.sea.jnu Feb 25, 2022 11:32 pm

The very first search I did, SQ12 NRT-LAX on April 3rd, has business class availability.

Orwaid Feb 26, 2022 3:56 am

Hi -

The only flights I can find Business Class on is LAX-NRT (and v.v.). 80K each way. Many moons ago they used to have Business Class intra-Asia. Now, Economy only.

The only time I have ever seen long-haul First/Biz on SQ was the weekend they accidentally released every seat systemwide. I cashed in US Airways points for SQ F LAX-SIN-KUL.

s0ssos Feb 26, 2022 6:03 am

I did not see SQ biz availability intra-Asia with SQ miles so I think there is just none

Kacee Feb 26, 2022 6:13 am

Yeah this is frustrating. SQ is currently not releasing J awards routing to or through SIN to AS, only economy. There's good availability still via KF, but they're such a nightmare to deal with when there's a cancel or if you need to make a change that can't be done via the website.

DeltaFlyingProf Feb 27, 2022 10:13 am

SQ has been difficult lately. If you want an SQ award in premium class, your best bet is to transfer credit card points to their program and use the transferred miles. I've been able to find J and F availability that way. (Find the availability, then transfer the points though!)

tobegold Jun 5, 2022 9:06 pm

Just booked 2 tickets YVR-SEA-SIN-DPS in J on SQ for the SEA to DPS segments for April 2023. Lots of SQ available ex SEA, SFO and LAX for every day next April.

Flying for Fun Jun 5, 2022 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by tobegold (Post 34310467)
Just booked 2 tickets YVR-SEA-SIN-DPS in J on SQ for the SEA to DPS segments for April 2023. Lots of SQ available ex SEA, SFO and LAX for every day next April.

SQ J availability seems to be quite good lately, not just from NA, but likely the last to be booked since the award is comparatively expensive: 100K miles each.

CX - 50K
JL - 65K
SQ - 100K
KE - 120K return

I have only flown SQ once but wasn't impressed with the hard or soft product in J. I could overlook that, give them a second shot, if the award pricing was competitive. Earnings on SQ are also poor.

I see some JL options in April too.

In April, SQ EWR-SIN-DPS, one-stop, return is $1223 in PE. That earns 21,144 EQM & 52,860 RDM for an MVPG100K. From JFK, $1278 on the A380 with a technical stop in FRA.

Are you adding in a stopover?

James

tobegold Jun 6, 2022 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 34310674)
SQ J availability seems to be quite good lately, not just from NA, but likely the last to be booked since the award is comparatively expensive: 100K miles each.

CX - 50K
JL - 65K
SQ - 100K
KE - 120K return

I have only flown SQ once but wasn't impressed with the hard or soft product in J. I could overlook that, give them a second shot, if the award pricing was competitive. Earnings on SQ are also poor.

I see some JL options in April too.

In April, SQ EWR-SIN-DPS, one-stop, return is $1223 in PE. That earns 21,144 EQM & 52,860 RDM for an MVPG100K. From JFK, $1278 on the A380 with a technical stop in FRA.

Are you adding in a stopover?

James

I am going to call in tomorrow to see about getting a 4 or 5 day stopover in SIN if possible, not sure if this is possible like CX in HKG or JL in Japan. Nothing available on CX or JL in J, not interested in KL for April to DPS. First time on SQ and was willing to pay the premium for the experience. SQ not available through AC or TK Star Alliance partners BUT AS has availability??!! Makes no sense. Will return on CX or JL if possible in May. Flew JL BKK-HND-YVR last November in J and it was fantastic, better than my J flights on ANA. I have not flown CX in J yet. Usually I stick with Star Alliance for my travels.

Kacee Jun 6, 2022 8:06 am

Originally Posted by tobegold (Post 34310819)
SQ not available through AC or TK Star Alliance partners BUT AS has availability??!! Makes no sense.

Why not? SQ releases differently to different partners. LH has traditionally had better access as well.

I think SQ is a decent option right now if you have the points to burn. I don't like the seat very much, but I don't like JL's either, and at least SQ doesn't overheat the cabin.

Flying for Fun Jun 6, 2022 9:37 am

Originally Posted by tobegold (Post 34310819)
I am going to call in tomorrow to see about getting a 4 or 5 day stopover in SIN if possible, not sure if this is possible like CX in HKG or JL in Japan. Nothing available on CX or JL in J, not interested in KL for April to DPS. First time on SQ and was willing to pay the premium for the experience. SQ not available through AC or TK Star Alliance partners BUT AS has availability??!! Makes no sense. Will return on CX or JL if possible in May. Flew JL BKK-HND-YVR last November in J and it was fantastic, better than my J flights on ANA. I have not flown CX in J yet. Usually I stick with Star Alliance for my travels.

Stopovers are permitted on NA-Asia awards so a stopover in SIN is possible just like CX & JL & KE.

You can change your itinerary on-line, usually no need to call in. Click on change when viewing the itinerary. Click on "change this trip" and then "change flight" on the SIN-DPS segment. Move the date 4 or 5 days ahead and click on continue. Any options will be presented. Nothing is set in stone until you go through the check-out process so you are free to "play" with the itinerary. You can quit at any time.

If you have any desire to go to AU/NZ you could could do DPS-SIN-AU/NZ in SQ J for 65K and then CX(60K, stopover HKG), QF(55K, stopover BNE, MEL, SYD) or FJ(55K, stopover NAN)

James

Barkinpark Jun 6, 2022 11:55 am

SQ is flying to SEA some time soon. Try positioning from SEA.

tobegold Jun 6, 2022 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Barkinpark (Post 34312160)
SQ is flying to SEA some time soon. Try positioning from SEA.

SQ was flying SEA-YVR-SIN or YVR-SEA-SIN VTL flights the last few months (can’t remember which) as a seasonal/temporary service. They have award flights available out of SEA for booking. When trying to book just to SIN these did not always list from SEA, but when searching for DPS out of SEA they listed.

tobegold Jun 6, 2022 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 34311707)
Stopovers are permitted on NA-Asia awards so a stopover in SIN is possible just like CX & JL & KE.

You can change your itinerary on-line, usually no need to call in. Click on change when viewing the itinerary. Click on "change this trip" and then "change flight" on the SIN-DPS segment. Move the date 4 or 5 days ahead and click on continue. Any options will be presented. Nothing is set in stone until you go through the check-out process so you are free to "play" with the itinerary. You can quit at any time.

If you have any desire to go to AU/NZ you could could do DPS-SIN-AU/NZ in SQ J for 65K and then CX(60K, stopover HKG), QF(55K, stopover BNE, MEL, SYD) or FJ(55K, stopover NAN)

James

Thanks for the heads up James, got it done online. I had been thinking of using AC miles to return on EVA with a stopover in TPE, or AS miles for JAL with a stopover in Japan.

tobegold Jun 7, 2022 8:16 am

A cautionary note, an hour after changing my SIN-DPS leg I went to select seats on the SQ website and it did not list this leg. AS website, which previously listed the leg, no longer listed it. I called AS, which had a 3 to 4 hour wait time, and selected the call back to be called back 4 hours 45 minutes later. AS had the DPS leg showing but 5 days after the date I booked (and which did not list on SQ or AS websites). Gave the agent the DPS flight details, agent did not listen and put me on the wrong flight for the day I wanted, got him to fix it, process took 15 minutes as the agent had to keep going back to the international desk.