Singapore (SQ) Awards on AS?

Old Feb 25, 22, 11:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SEA
Programs: AS
Posts: 6
Singapore (SQ) Awards on AS?

Anyone notice that you can book economy award tickets with Singapore Airlines again, but somehow literally zero business class seats are available? I called an agent who confirmed the same non-availability of business class on any flight, anywhere. Anyone have any insight on this? I’d love to fly them again.
EyesOnly is offline  
Old Feb 25, 22, 11:32 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 437
The very first search I did, SQ12 NRT-LAX on April 3rd, has business class availability.
eponymous_coward likes this.
lax.sea.jnu is offline  
Old Feb 26, 22, 3:56 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,537
Hi -

The only flights I can find Business Class on is LAX-NRT (and v.v.). 80K each way. Many moons ago they used to have Business Class intra-Asia. Now, Economy only.

The only time I have ever seen long-haul First/Biz on SQ was the weekend they accidentally released every seat systemwide. I cashed in US Airways points for SQ F LAX-SIN-KUL.
Orwaid is offline  
Old Feb 26, 22, 6:03 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,210
I did not see SQ biz availability intra-Asia with SQ miles so I think there is just none
s0ssos is offline  
Old Feb 26, 22, 6:13 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,402
Yeah this is frustrating. SQ is currently not releasing J awards routing to or through SIN to AS, only economy. There's good availability still via KF, but they're such a nightmare to deal with when there's a cancel or if you need to make a change that can't be done via the website.
Kacee is offline  
Old Feb 27, 22, 10:13 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ gold, TK Elite
Posts: 3,694
SQ has been difficult lately. If you want an SQ award in premium class, your best bet is to transfer credit card points to their program and use the transferred miles. I've been able to find J and F availability that way. (Find the availability, then transfer the points though!)
DeltaFlyingProf is offline  
Old Jun 5, 22, 9:06 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Posts: 784
Just booked 2 tickets YVR-SEA-SIN-DPS in J on SQ for the SEA to DPS segments for April 2023. Lots of SQ available ex SEA, SFO and LAX for every day next April.
tobegold is offline  
Old Jun 5, 22, 11:44 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,120
Originally Posted by tobegold View Post
Just booked 2 tickets YVR-SEA-SIN-DPS in J on SQ for the SEA to DPS segments for April 2023. Lots of SQ available ex SEA, SFO and LAX for every day next April.
SQ J availability seems to be quite good lately, not just from NA, but likely the last to be booked since the award is comparatively expensive: 100K miles each.

CX - 50K
JL - 65K
SQ - 100K
KE - 120K return

I have only flown SQ once but wasn't impressed with the hard or soft product in J. I could overlook that, give them a second shot, if the award pricing was competitive. Earnings on SQ are also poor.

I see some JL options in April too.

In April, SQ EWR-SIN-DPS, one-stop, return is $1223 in PE. That earns 21,144 EQM & 52,860 RDM for an MVPG100K. From JFK, $1278 on the A380 with a technical stop in FRA.

Are you adding in a stopover?

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Jun 6, 22, 2:08 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Posts: 784
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
SQ J availability seems to be quite good lately, not just from NA, but likely the last to be booked since the award is comparatively expensive: 100K miles each.

CX - 50K
JL - 65K
SQ - 100K
KE - 120K return

I have only flown SQ once but wasn't impressed with the hard or soft product in J. I could overlook that, give them a second shot, if the award pricing was competitive. Earnings on SQ are also poor.

I see some JL options in April too.

In April, SQ EWR-SIN-DPS, one-stop, return is $1223 in PE. That earns 21,144 EQM & 52,860 RDM for an MVPG100K. From JFK, $1278 on the A380 with a technical stop in FRA.

Are you adding in a stopover?

James
I am going to call in tomorrow to see about getting a 4 or 5 day stopover in SIN if possible, not sure if this is possible like CX in HKG or JL in Japan. Nothing available on CX or JL in J, not interested in KL for April to DPS. First time on SQ and was willing to pay the premium for the experience. SQ not available through AC or TK Star Alliance partners BUT AS has availability??!! Makes no sense. Will return on CX or JL if possible in May. Flew JL BKK-HND-YVR last November in J and it was fantastic, better than my J flights on ANA. I have not flown CX in J yet. Usually I stick with Star Alliance for my travels.
tobegold is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 8:06 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,402
Originally Posted by tobegold View Post
SQ not available through AC or TK Star Alliance partners BUT AS has availability??!! Makes no sense.
Why not? SQ releases differently to different partners. LH has traditionally had better access as well.

I think SQ is a decent option right now if you have the points to burn. I don't like the seat very much, but I don't like JL's either, and at least SQ doesn't overheat the cabin.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 9:37 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,120
Originally Posted by tobegold View Post
I am going to call in tomorrow to see about getting a 4 or 5 day stopover in SIN if possible, not sure if this is possible like CX in HKG or JL in Japan. Nothing available on CX or JL in J, not interested in KL for April to DPS. First time on SQ and was willing to pay the premium for the experience. SQ not available through AC or TK Star Alliance partners BUT AS has availability??!! Makes no sense. Will return on CX or JL if possible in May. Flew JL BKK-HND-YVR last November in J and it was fantastic, better than my J flights on ANA. I have not flown CX in J yet. Usually I stick with Star Alliance for my travels.
Stopovers are permitted on NA-Asia awards so a stopover in SIN is possible just like CX & JL & KE.

You can change your itinerary on-line, usually no need to call in. Click on change when viewing the itinerary. Click on "change this trip" and then "change flight" on the SIN-DPS segment. Move the date 4 or 5 days ahead and click on continue. Any options will be presented. Nothing is set in stone until you go through the check-out process so you are free to "play" with the itinerary. You can quit at any time.

If you have any desire to go to AU/NZ you could could do DPS-SIN-AU/NZ in SQ J for 65K and then CX(60K, stopover HKG), QF(55K, stopover BNE, MEL, SYD) or FJ(55K, stopover NAN)

James
Kacee and tobikosan like this.
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Jun 6, 22, 11:55 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 582
SQ is flying to SEA some time soon. Try positioning from SEA.
Barkinpark is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 12:20 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Posts: 784
Originally Posted by Barkinpark View Post
SQ is flying to SEA some time soon. Try positioning from SEA.
SQ was flying SEA-YVR-SIN or YVR-SEA-SIN VTL flights the last few months (can’t remember which) as a seasonal/temporary service. They have award flights available out of SEA for booking. When trying to book just to SIN these did not always list from SEA, but when searching for DPS out of SEA they listed.
tobegold is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 4:01 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Posts: 784
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Stopovers are permitted on NA-Asia awards so a stopover in SIN is possible just like CX & JL & KE.

You can change your itinerary on-line, usually no need to call in. Click on change when viewing the itinerary. Click on "change this trip" and then "change flight" on the SIN-DPS segment. Move the date 4 or 5 days ahead and click on continue. Any options will be presented. Nothing is set in stone until you go through the check-out process so you are free to "play" with the itinerary. You can quit at any time.

If you have any desire to go to AU/NZ you could could do DPS-SIN-AU/NZ in SQ J for 65K and then CX(60K, stopover HKG), QF(55K, stopover BNE, MEL, SYD) or FJ(55K, stopover NAN)

James
Thanks for the heads up James, got it done online. I had been thinking of using AC miles to return on EVA with a stopover in TPE, or AS miles for JAL with a stopover in Japan.
Flying for Fun likes this.
tobegold is offline  
Old Jun 7, 22, 8:16 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Posts: 784
A cautionary note, an hour after changing my SIN-DPS leg I went to select seats on the SQ website and it did not list this leg. AS website, which previously listed the leg, no longer listed it. I called AS, which had a 3 to 4 hour wait time, and selected the call back to be called back 4 hours 45 minutes later. AS had the DPS leg showing but 5 days after the date I booked (and which did not list on SQ or AS websites). Gave the agent the DPS flight details, agent did not listen and put me on the wrong flight for the day I wanted, got him to fix it, process took 15 minutes as the agent had to keep going back to the international desk.
tobegold is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread