Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change FF Number from AS to Partner on Mileage Plan Booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change FF Number from AS to Partner on Mileage Plan Booking?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Question Change FF Number from AS to Partner on Mileage Plan Booking?

Hi all, and sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere (couldn't find it by searching).

Is there any way to change the FF program for an AS Mileage Plan booking with miles? I've booked flights using my AS miles, but I have no status with AS. I have Platinum Pro with AA. The old trick for changing the FF number on BA Avios bookings using the Finnair site doesn't seem to work for this. Is there any way around? Desired state is to replace my AS FF details with the AA ones.

Thanks!

Last edited by cpdc1030; Oct 26, 2021 at 10:33 pm
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cpdc1030
Is there any way to change the FF program for an AS Mileage Plan booking with miles? I've booked flights using my AS miles, but I have no status with AS. I have Platinum Pro with AA. The old trick for changing the FF number on BA Avios bookings using the Finnair site doesn't seem to work for this. Is there any way around? Desired state is to replace my AS FF details with the AA ones.
I've done this post-booking by calling AS to add my AA FFN. (when I made the booking, I did not enter my AS FFN)
Old Oct 27, 2021, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econ
I've done this post-booking by calling AS to add my AA FFN. (when I made the booking, I did not enter my AS FFN)
Thanks, but not sure this is the same case? When making a Mileage Plan booking, I didn't see an option to omit a frequent flyer number....my AS one was populated automatically.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks, but not sure this is the same case? When making a Mileage Plan booking, I didn't see an option to omit a frequent flyer number....my AS one was populated automatically.
Right, but surely that doesn’t stop you from calling the airline to see if they can change the FFN?

Also, I wouldn’t expect “the old trick” to work. AS uses SABRE for their booking system. Finnair and BA use Amadeus, which is why that trick works- you’re not even working on AS’s copy of a PNR, you are working on the authoritative PNR, and AS doesn’t create an Amadeus PNR for their tickets unless it’s an award booking on BA/AY/CX, etc.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 27, 2021 at 9:38 am
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by econ
For a revenue flight, that's likely possible, but not sure how you'd be able to use AS miles without it being tied to your AS FF#.

Yes, because you're using AS miles from your AS MP account.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Right, but surely that doesn’t stop you from calling the airline to see if they can change the FFN?
Agree, OP should just call and ask, but would not expect it's possible to use miles from one airline's program and get the benefits of status with another (at least in AS' case).
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
OP should just call and ask, but would not expect it's possible to use miles from one airline's program and get the benefits of status with another (at least in AS' case).
With AA making recent clarfication of "Marketed by AA" for certain benefits, I do agree that days of obtaining benefit of status with another is numbered, or have passed.

Jiburi
Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AA are particularly sticklers about this, but I’ve put my AS MP number in CX and BA mileage bookings without the wrath of God coming down on me. It really depends on the airline.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
For a revenue flight, that's likely possible, but not sure how you'd be able to use AS miles without it being tied to your AS FF#.

Yes, because you're using AS miles from your AS MP account.

Agree, OP should just call and ask, but would not expect it's possible to use miles from one airline's program and get the benefits of status with another (at least in AS' case).
I will try calling later today, I am not optimistic though I'll let you all know. Have been doing the Finnair switcheroo for years on AA and AS flights booked with BA Avios, so was looking to see if there was a similar way with AS since I haven't done any booking with AS miles till now.

Last edited by cpdc1030; Oct 27, 2021 at 11:34 am
Old Oct 27, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
If you make a booking as if it were for another person, the FFN field can be left blank.

AS might not care either way, don’t know. AA typically does, which is why I typically leave FFN blank in award bookings if I know I’ll want to change it later.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:57 pm

Just use twitter. Send them a message like this: Please change my Alaska FF XXXXXX to American FF XXXXXX for this booking ABCDEF. Passenger name is John Doe. Flight is ABC-DEF-XYZ on XX/YY.
s777bg likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

SUCCESS!! Thanks all for your help.

I used the reservations text chat service and my AAdvantage number was added to the booking quickly and with no fuss. I initially tried Twitter but that team said they couldn’t make the change.

I know this is an edge case but a nice way to get access to better seats, and it will certainly encourage me to fly AS more often.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz Prez's Circle
Thanks for this thread. I've tried twitter, text and online chat with this request. Will try to update here if any of these methods work.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Also, I wouldn’t expect “the old trick” to work. AS uses SABRE for their booking system. Finnair and BA use Amadeus, which is why that trick works- you’re not even working on AS’s copy of a PNR, you are working on the authoritative PNR, and AS doesn’t create an Amadeus PNR for their tickets unless it’s an award booking on BA/AY/CX, etc.
Hun, thanks for explaining the "why" behind this. Good to know.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
booked a mileage ticket for a friend a couple weeks ago; she gave me her AA number yesterday, and I was able to add it to the PNR in My Trips
Old Nov 29, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
AA are particularly sticklers about this, but I’ve put my AS MP number in CX and BA mileage bookings without the wrath of God coming down on me. It really depends on the airline.
I've put my AS number in AA award bookings no problem by calling (hell, I've even been able to do this on an EY award booking on AA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.