Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change FF Number from AS to Partner on Mileage Plan Booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change FF Number from AS to Partner on Mileage Plan Booking?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA Plat Pro; IHG Diamond Amb; Hertz President's Circle
I've just tried this for two separate award bookings through the text line (82008). Quick responses both times! The first rep was able to add my AA number on one booking no questions asked, but I forgot to ask about the second reservation until after they disconnected. When I texted again about the other reservation, a new agent told me they couldn't add different program FF numbers for AS award bookings.... Definitely a case of HUCA, will try again tomorrow.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by heartguy
I've just tried this for two separate award bookings through the text line (82008). Quick responses both times! The first rep was able to add my AA number on one booking no questions asked
I was also able to do this successfully earlier this year using chat feature on website.
innerspace likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:38 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by heartguy
I've just tried this for two separate award bookings through the text line (82008). Quick responses both times! The first rep was able to add my AA number on one booking no questions asked, but I forgot to ask about the second reservation until after they disconnected. When I texted again about the other reservation, a new agent told me they couldn't add different program FF numbers for AS award bookings.... Definitely a case of HUCA, will try again tomorrow.
That second agent is correct, as that is policy. YMMV until AS rectifies the processes here. 🤙🏻🍹
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:14 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The policy has been officially updated. It is now prohibited to add a partner airline FF number to Mileage Plan bookings.

When redeeming miles for an award ticket from Alaska Mileage Plan account, customer cannot enter another airline’s frequent flyer number and is thus ineligible for benefits from another program.”

https://loyaltylobby.com/2024/03/27/...l-rule-change/
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Sounds like a violation of Oneworld lounge access rules. It shouldn't even be required to have the status shown on the boarding pass. But it's not like they are enforceable anyway...

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:15 am

There're a number of airlines which have now made changing FFN very difficult in an award reservation booked with another airline's miles from the FFN of that airline. The stated rational is that the reservation should be permanently associated with that airline's program (for any changes, etc.) The practice will likely spread, and any existing loopholes are likely to be gradually closed.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
What a pain. What if I'm booking a partner award for a friend that doesn't have an AS account and only has an account with the partner airline and just wants to be able to easily manage the ticket from the partner airline's app? While it's not enforced now I could see it eventually being enforced. What a waste of IT resources when they can't even get their own app to work half the time.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
This made the blogs this morning:

https://viewfromthewing.com/unpackin...lyer-benefits/
anteater likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: TK Elite, JGC Sapphire, ITA Premium, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
What is the point of alliance now...

This is truly bothersome. I can understand why one shouldn't change their FFN if they score a complimentary First class upgrade with one and then switch it to another to get credits. But this is too much. Especially if you redeem your miles towards partner's flight...
econ likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
This seems to be true even if you are booking someone else?

I couldn’t for a recent award on LAN (return) but I could for outbound on accompanying passenger. I didn’t bother too hard as I don’t have status.

has anyone tried Malaysia airlines?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by bc1280
But this is too much. Especially if you redeem your miles towards partner's flight...
Not sure how they could enforce this though. Assuming you mean flight on another carrier.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The restriction in the award booking UI isn’t exactly news - there have been posts about it for a while. I shared this screenshot in some thread here on Dec 8:

But if they now (?) made it a formal policy in the documented MileagePlan rules, it will become less and less likely that an AS agent can override it.

This, combined with the snip snip snip interlining of bags change makes AS less and less customer friendly. I would have hoped the joining of OW would make alliance travel more seemless and beneficial… but no.

I still have some 250k AS miles and 75k status this year, but will likely drop to nobody as I have shifted to LP earnings on AA. So I guess if I want OW/partner benefits for awards paid for with those miles (say, choosing seats on BA flights without fee) I’d better get them done this year.
edsh likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA G, SQ G,UA S, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Change AS award FFP number
Booked a QR flight w/ AS miles, can't change AS number to BA, even on QR website
Any suggestions?
Is this related to what OMAAT reported?
https://onemileatatime.com/news/alas...t-restriction/
Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jeffreier
Change AS award FFP number
Booked a QR flight w/ AS miles, can't change AS number to BA, even on QR website
Any suggestions?
I have an AS QR award booking and I'm able to edit my FFP info on the QR website (Update passenger details>Frequent flyer programme (optional)).
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA G, SQ G,UA S, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Have you done this recently?
I tried QR website and app, neither works
I even removed my info when I brought my ticket on AS
At least last year, I had no issues with CX and QR
With the news OMAAT posted, not sure if worth to try AS Twitter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.