Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is Seat Blocking Still Taking Place in F? (Only 1C on Airbus and E75 for FAs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Seat Blocking Still Taking Place in F? (Only 1C on Airbus and E75 for FAs)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Taking inspiration from SEA777GUY and for the novelty of it, I gave up my upgrade to 4A (F booked 15/16) on my PDX-FLL flight and took 7A. I was the only one in premium class which was pretty cool. I got the same F service (from an awesome husband/wife FA pair) and also the premium class snack .

Just looking at seat comfort, I found having the whole row and no one in front of or behind me to be superior to F with someone next to me. That’s not even taking COVID into account. Couple that with great service, and you get an awesome flight. I’m 6’1”, and if I’d have read someone say that a row of premium beat F, I would have chuckled (obviously keeping the F service is an important bit). You have to try it to believe it!
SEA777GUY and NoLaGent like this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Taking inspiration from SEA777GUY and for the novelty of it, I gave up my upgrade to 4A (F booked 15/16) on my PDX-FLL flight and took 7A. I was the only one in premium class which was pretty cool. I got the same F service (from an awesome husband/wife FA pair) and also the premium class snack .

Just looking at seat comfort, I found having the whole row and no one in front of or behind me to be superior to F with someone next to me. That’s not even taking COVID into account. Couple that with great service, and you get an awesome flight. I’m 6’1”, and if I’d have read someone say that a row of premium beat F, I would have chuckled (obviously keeping the F service is an important bit). You have to try it to believe it!
A year ago I would've scoffed at this, but you're 100% right, that experience is far superior. Truly strange times we're in.
SEA777GUY and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 4:53 pm

I got the same F service (from an awesome husband/wife FA pair) and also the premium class snack .
Is the “premium class snack” just the same thing they serve in economy (Biscoff or snack mix)?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Is the “premium class snack” just the same thing they serve in economy (Biscoff or snack mix)?
Just a decent size bag of Chex mix. Nothing too exciting, just very exclusive since no one in F got one
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just a decent size bag of Chex mix. Nothing too exciting, just very exclusive since no one in F got one
FYI....Those "big" bags of Chex mix are also showing up in the F snack basket....where those downgrades to Premium Class really make a difference is on red-eyes when you have 3 seats to yourself and can actually lay down One of the reasons I've been avoiding the direct PDX-FLL route is the smaller F cabin on the -800 but it sounds like you got a -900....last minute swap?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
FYI....Those "big" bags of Chex mix are also showing up in the F snack basket....where those downgrades to Premium Class really make a difference is on red-eyes when you have 3 seats to yourself and can actually lay down One of the reasons I've been avoiding the direct PDX-FLL route is the smaller F cabin on the -800 but it sounds like you got a -900....last minute swap?
I wouldn’t mind the Chex mix in the snack basket, as it’s a larger quantity than anything else in there.

I see the -800s showing up a lot too but this was always scheduled as a -900 PDX-FLL. I’m pretty sure they come close to the margins of range on the return, especially on days like today when the headwinds push FLL-SEA to 7 hours gate to gate. The -800s have more range so I just assumed that’s why they were usually deployed.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Is 1C on the E175s still being hard blocked, or is that seat available for assignment at the gate?

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Is 1C on the E175s still being hard blocked, or is that seat available for assignment at the gate?

-FlyerBeek
On Friday April 9th flight from mke to seattle it was blocked and not assigned at gate.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
On the E175, 1C is a soft block and can be assigned by gate control if applicable (eg FC upgrade list).
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just got bumped from 1A on a Q400 flight this morning.....I guess it is still officially blocked but able to be selected on the seat map so I proactively changed my 1A seat on another Q400 flight I have this weekend. I would have appreciated being able to select my own alternate seat ahead of time on a flight that is only about 2/3 full. Moral of the story....just because it shows available on the seat map doesn't mean it actually is.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by anteater
On the E175, 1C is a soft block and can be assigned by gate control if applicable (eg FC upgrade list).
It's an annoying block. Why does AS insist- or is it a QX thing? An issue on a lot of my AS flights as they are deployed on FAI-ANC.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:55 pm

I got kicked out of my paid row 4 window seat and got moved to aisle in row 2 cause someone used their comfort seat pass and Alaska decided to move me. Kinda annoyed as first was full except for that row 4 seat, but can't complain too much; first world problems.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by bhayami
I got kicked out of my paid row 4 window seat and got moved to aisle in row 2 cause someone used their comfort seat pass and Alaska decided to move me. Kinda annoyed as first was full except for that row 4 seat, but can't complain too much; first world problems.
What is a comfort seat pass?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by bhayami
Originally Posted by anteater
What is a comfort seat pass?
I assume you are referring to comfort seats (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...s/comfort-seat). I wasn't aware that one could purchase one in F, but I suppose AS won't turn down your money.
anteater likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 4:25 pm

Yeah I'm guessing the "can use a non-refundable ticket" counts maybe if it was a first class ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.