FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Time discrepancy in flight details (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2031387-time-discrepancy-flight-details.html)

chrismk Dec 29, 2020 10:39 am

Time discrepancy in flight details

Good day. I'm looking up flights and get the usual list of results.
When I click on Details for any flight the departure and arrival times are advanced 8 hours!
I'm in the UK, where there is a 8 hour time difference, but what is happening?!

Repooc17 Dec 29, 2020 11:35 am

Originally Posted by chrismk (Post 32921332)
Good day. I'm looking up flights and get the usual list of results.
When I click on Details for any flight the departure and arrival times are advanced 8 hours!
I'm in the UK, where there is a 8 hour time difference, but what is happening?!

It may be easier if you can share an example for us to reference and provide feedback.

chrismk Dec 29, 2020 11:53 am

PDX-DEN on 10 Aug next year, though it doesn’t matter which flights/dates are entered.
The non stop 616 departs at 10.45am. When I click on details it says 6.45pm. I’ve now just realised it is also saying 6.45 on the following day!

chrismk Dec 29, 2020 12:00 pm

But it doesn’t do it when I use the App on my IPhone.

jsguyrus Dec 29, 2020 12:07 pm

That is usually a setting on your computer or phone that displays everything in local time. If I was more of a tech guy I would know how to change it, but I don't.

chrismk Dec 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Yes, it would seem to be something on my computer.
I've cleared cookies and cache in the browser, but I've now noticed if I select a date and press submit at the beginning of the booking process, the results are for the previous day!
So at least when I click on details, the date is correct :-)

Repooc17 Dec 29, 2020 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by chrismk (Post 32921501)
PDX-DEN on 10 Aug next year, though it doesn’t matter which flights/dates are entered.
The non stop 616 departs at 10.45am. When I click on details it says 6.45pm. I’ve now just realised it is also saying 6.45 on the following day!

I am not in either time zone, but by default the time should be based on the local time zone of origin and destination.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b1c67ef6f5.png

Often1 Dec 29, 2020 2:09 pm

The settings are tricky. If one is set to "local" but connecting via VPN, local may be the VPN not one's physical location.

I always set these manually.

jrl767 Dec 29, 2020 2:12 pm

I noted a similar discrepancy (3 hours) earlier this month, and it’s reappearing today (looking randomly at SEA<>LAX flights in mid May)

djp98374 Dec 29, 2020 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 32921534)
That is usually a setting on your computer or phone that displays everything in local time. If I was more of a tech guy I would know how to change it, but I don't.

it’s a web site thing..not your computer unless a setting is done

I don’t get that when I book flights.

Ifi go and look at schedule of games on espn it adjusts to the time zone I’m physically in via my connection

Flying for Fun Dec 29, 2020 8:39 pm

I had a similar occurance with an itinerary in early November. I was in the Eastern Time Zone and flight times for segments in the PST were shown in EST instead of PST. I also had segments with Departure & Arrival times the same. It corrected itself.

James

chrismk Dec 30, 2020 4:24 am

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...adc2df3013.jpg
Search Criteria
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b8648f8c5a.jpg
Search Results
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0e68d53d62.jpg
Flight Details

This is what is happening.
It has to be website related? I get these results in Firefox and Chrome on 3 different devices - 2 desktops (W10) and a laptop (W7).
BUT when I perform the search on the laptop using an old Internet Explorer it's fine!

writerguyfl Dec 30, 2020 6:38 am

I'm speculating, but I would say that the programmer accidently encoded the arrival time to match the user's time zone instead of just leaving it alone.

In sites that operate across different time zones, it's customary to match the user's time zone using user location (via address if logged in or IP address if not). Programmers create a single function that can be used on any time throughout the website. When time is used, it pulls the time of the server and offsets it via that function.

Airlines websites add complexity because departure/arrival times are always listed in the local time zone of the airport. Again I'm guessing, but perhaps the programmers accidentally added the time zone offset function to the arrival time.

Originally Posted by chrismk (Post 32923242)
It has to be website related? I get these results in Firefox and Chrome on 3 different devices - 2 desktops (W10) and a laptop (W7).
BUT when I perform the search on the laptop using an old Internet Explorer it's fine!

As random as that seems, it makes sense. Websites are often programmed using multiple computing languages. Some languages play well with some browsers and not with others.

Since Internet Explorer (IE) is not considered a "modern" browser, programmers will no longer check it to ensure it's presenting information correctly. Although, in this example, it's a little backwards. IE seems to be correct only because it's failing to properly work with whatever time zone function the programmers accidentally added to the arrival time.

(I hope that made sense.)

chrismk Dec 30, 2020 7:47 am

It did!
Mind you, when I was looking for flights earlier in the year I didn't experience this.

jrl767 Dec 30, 2020 8:36 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 32923425)
I'm speculating, but I would say that the programmer accidently encoded the arrival time to match the user's time zone instead of just leaving it alone.

In sites that operate across different time zones, it's customary to match the user's time zone using user location (via address if logged in or IP address if not). Programmers create a single function that can be used on any time throughout the website. When time is used, it pulls the time of the server and offsets it via that function.

Airlines websites add complexity because departure/arrival times are always listed in the local time zone of the airport. Again I'm guessing, but perhaps the programmers accidentally added the time zone offset function to the arrival time.

As random as that seems, it makes sense. Websites are often programmed using multiple computing languages. Some languages play well with some browsers and not with others.

Since Internet Explorer (IE) is not considered a "modern" browser, programmers will no longer check it to ensure it's presenting information correctly. Although, in this example, it's a little backwards. IE seems to be correct only because it's failing to properly work with whatever time zone function the programmers accidentally added to the arrival time.

(I hope that made sense.)

yes, but I'm using Chrome ;)