FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS Bans Alaska State Senator After She Repeatedly Refuses to Wear a Mask (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2028709-bans-alaska-state-senator-after-she-repeatedly-refuses-wear-mask.html)

pinniped Nov 19, 2020 8:05 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 32826617)
That assumption would be wrong from a casual glance at, say, the NY Times county-by-county (or census area by census area) case map. Some of the rural areas in Alaska have north of 100 daily cases per 100,000 people, consistent with the pattern pretty much everywhere else: this is no longer confined to dense urban areas.

*shrug* Then that is even more of an argument in favor of AS requiring masks throughout their entire route network.

jiburi Nov 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Place these non-believers into a hospital observation for 24 hours and they would instantly become believers. These people are currently out of touch of what's happening at frontline and have placed no thought of how much hospital workers are going to saving every lives. Who will save them for their mis-judgement? Hospital workers. So selfish....

Jiburi

Kacee Nov 19, 2020 3:09 pm

AS should ban the rule evading no-masker. Then let her find her way to JNU from ANC or SEA all on her own.

ashill Nov 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 32830339)
*shrug* Then that is even more of an argument in favor of AS requiring masks throughout their entire route network.

For sure. Everywhere in the world, everyone travelling should be wearing a mask when sharing airspace with anyone outside their household.

BOB W Nov 22, 2020 11:45 pm

What everyone is missing is the fact that the air carriers flying only within Alaska are regional carriers. They do not have an in-flight cabin crew to enforce any mask requirements. RAVN, the only other carrier with cabin crews, has not flown since the beginning of the pandemic and is now just starting to fly again. AS is most definitely enforcing the mask protocols. The others do not have people onboard to do that.

Xrayman Nov 23, 2020 8:31 am

No shoes, no shirt non service. No mask ....

jerry a. laska Apr 25, 2021 5:40 pm

The latest:

Alaska Airlines said Saturday that it has banned state Sen. Lora Reinbold, R-Eagle River, from its flights for continuing to refuse to follow mask-wearing requirements for travelers.“We have notified Senator Lora Reinbold that she is not permitted to fly with us for her continued refusal to comply with employee instruction regarding the current mask policy,” spokesman Tim Thompson said by email.

“This suspension is effective immediately, pending further review. Federal law requires all guests to wear a mask over their nose and mouth at all times during travel, including throughout the flight, during boarding and deplaning, and while traveling through an airport,” he said.
https://www.adn.com/politics/alaska-...9-mask-policy/
https://alaskalandmine.com/landmines...h-mask-policy/

williwaw Apr 25, 2021 6:04 pm

It’s good politics for her to pick this fight. Added protections for senators attending sessions will make for flashy headlines. It’s a way to pick a fight with the federal rule too. (I am not excusing it, just saying it’s more calculated.)

kileysmom Apr 25, 2021 6:57 pm

Ahh, come on, folks, doncha know this is all a big hoax? Well, it is until you watch what covid does to many of its victims or, even worse, you watch someone die of this horrible disease which causes many to basically suffocate to death. Of course, it's just the flu and the fatalities are all lies. I cannot conceive how these deniers and covidiots can be so, frankly, stupid and so uncaring for others around them. Has anyone met a health care worker who thinks this is a hoax?
I will fly Alaska because they do care about their employees and their customers. By the way, the NFL is considering making vaccination required to attend NFL games this year.....please support such moves...some of those who are such lazy and inconsiderate people might decide they'd like to go to a sporting event. Personally I will no longer support any business that does not require masks on its premises including those in the sky!

DuckFlyer Apr 25, 2021 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom (Post 33205283)
Has anyone met a health care worker who thinks this is a hoax?

I have personally asked many health care workers their opinion on COVID and there certainly is not consensus on COVID being more dangerous than the flu (which kills so many people every year).

Even 15 months into this pandemic I am eagerly gathering data. It makes me say hmmm when I hear that 66% of LA county healthcare workers are refusing to get the vaccine (depending on source).

Simple solution amidst the uncertainty. If you are concerned, wear a mask. If you are not concerned, then don’t wear one.

Businesses should have a right to mandate what their customers do. Government should not.

So even though I disagree with it, I follow AS policy because I choose to fly them.

dayone Apr 25, 2021 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by DuckFlyer (Post 33205413)
I hear that 66% of LA county healthcare workers are refusing to get the vaccine.

It's 40%, unless you have a more recent source.

eponymous_coward Apr 25, 2021 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by DuckFlyer (Post 33205413)
Businesses should have a right to mandate what their customers do. Government should not.

Try entering certain countries without proof of yellow fever vaccination, and let us know how asserting that a government cannot mandate your choices went for you.

AS Flyer Apr 25, 2021 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 33205481)
Try entering certain countries without proof of yellow fever vaccination, and let us know how asserting that a government cannot mandate your choices went for you.

sounds like the EU is going to allow US visitors this summer if they've been vaccinated. More government vaccination requirements.

hbtr Apr 25, 2021 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom (Post 33205283)
Has anyone met a health care worker who thinks this is a hoax?

unfortunately yes. Some have a tendency to rely on (and repeatedly quote) info that has been debunked by other credible sources, others have simply fallen down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole.

I will fly Alaska because they do care about their employees and their customers.
ditto

Personally I will no longer support any business that does not require masks on its premises including those in the sky!
ditto, at least for now

PaperGlider Apr 25, 2021 11:52 pm

OK by me and I applaud Alaska Airlines to hold to their standards.

Seat blocking, cleaning, and mask compliance are reasons I have been choosing to fly Alaska Airlines since CoVid.