Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

JetBlue to Challenge AS at LAX in October 2020 - LAX Is B6's New Focus City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2020, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Will offer up to 32 dailys flight by October. New routes to SFO, AUSTIN,SEA,LAS,BZN and SLC.

Hawaii , Mexico, Canada and Latin America flight most likely in the horizon too.

What will be Alaska’s move to protect LAX? As of last check they dripped most of the transcon flying from LAX .
Old Jul 9, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Cool.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Will still prefer Alaska (assuming they don't just drop LAX-NYC completely), but happy to have another LAX-EWR option that isn't United.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:05 pm

I would expect it to have a pretty tiny impact on anything at the scale they're initially talking about. It'll make it a little bit harder for anyone to make money on crowded routes like LAX-SFO and LAX-LAS
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
It'll make it a little bit harder for anyone to make money on crowded routes like LAX-SFO and LAX-LAS
Those are both commodity flights. There are tons of options for carrier, and they're so short it doesn't really matter who you fly - schedule and convenience are most important, especially LA-Bay Area, where ground transport time at the ends can easily be longer than the flight, and alternative airports that are faster to get to from your origin/destination matter more than carrier. The main reason for someone to pick B6 (or any particular carrier) for those flights is if you have to connect to get there.
rollthere likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I find it funny that people in FT always refer to route changes/hub expansions etc. as if they’re in a war. “B6 invades LAX” “AS defends SEA”. A little dramatic if you ask me
notquiteaff and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:41 pm

I would expect it to have a pretty tiny impact on anything at the scale they're initially talking about. It'll make it a little bit harder for anyone to make money on crowded routes like LAX-SFO and LAX-LAS
Compiled by someone else at a.net:

AUS-AA, DL, B6, WN, NK, UA
BZN-G4, AA, DL, B6, UA
LAS-AS, G4, AA, DL, F9, B6, WN, NK, SY, UA
RNO-AA, B6, WN, UA
SLC-AA, DL, B6, WN, UA
SFO-AS, AA, DL, B6, WN, UA
SEA-AS, AA, DL, B6, UA

That's a lot of competition
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I find it funny that people in FT always refer to route changes/hub expansions etc. as if they’re in a war. “B6 invades LAX” “AS defends SEA”. A little dramatic if you ask me
Very true....as I said in another thread revenue-based frequent flyer programs (like Jet Blue) are a total non-starter for me so I don't care where they fly--I'm not going to pay more for me fare just to the get the same EQM/RDM I would get at the cheapest fare on AS....non gonna happen. I also rack up quite a few "extra" miles by not taking the fastest way between point A and point B so being able to go LAX-EWR instead of LAX-SEA-EWR actually means I'm getting LESS EQM/RDM with every trip...also not gonna happen.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Laxcltflyer
Will offer up to 32 dailys flight by October. New routes to SFO, AUSTIN,SEA,LAS,BZN and SLC.

Hawaii , Mexico, Canada and Latin America flight most likely in the horizon too.

What will be Alaska’s move to protect LAX? As of last check they dripped most of the transcon flying from LAX .
I find the LAX-BZN route most interesting....so they're gonna start a flight AFTER the summer tourist season is pretty much done?
rollthere likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I find the LAX-BZN route most interesting....so they're gonna start a flight AFTER the summer tourist season is pretty much done?
BZN is < 80 miles from Yellostone and they also have a small, somewhat popular, winter activity called skiing. 😁 Big Sky Resort & Bridger Bowl are within an hours drive.

James
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
BZN is < 80 miles from Yellostone and they also have a small, somewhat popular, winter activity called skiing. 😁 Big Sky Resort & Bridger Bowl are within an hours drive.

James
Yeah, I'm taking the family to Yellowstone in about a week via BZN but I figured it wasn't as popular in the winter and I would think Big Mountain up near FCA would be a better option for skiing (and visiting Glacier National Park).
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Those flights are simply moving from LGB.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Yeah, I'm taking the family to Yellowstone in about a week via BZN but I figured it wasn't as popular in the winter and I would think Big Mountain up near FCA would be a better option for skiing (and visiting Glacier National Park).
Enjoy, Yellostone is beautiful and the wildlife amazing. Don't argue with the Bisson, you won't win.... 😆 Bozeman has some charm too.

James
PDXPremier and pcoll like this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Those are not the routes they are going after with the expansion. They are again just moving what they had at LGB for now minus PDX. The expansion will come with long thin transcons with the new A220s, Hawaii, Central/South America, and the Caribbean plus connections to Europe through their East Coast gateways . LAX-SFO will be useful for connections at some point in the future but just gives them a presence for now. They would need more gates at SFO to have more than a couple flights a day to LAX and it is likely not worth it to get a whole extra gate to serve that route with a lot of frequency.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Flying for Fun;32520340]Enjoy, Yellostone is beautiful and the wildlife amazing. Don't argue with the Bisson, you won't win.... 😆 Bozeman has some charm too.

James[/QUOTE

Will do...it's funny, with all the previous summer plans (like kids camps) cancelled, we decided to take a road trip to a family reunion in Arkansas and then fly home and then dropped the idea of driving that far and instead drive to Yellowstone and fly home and now we dropped that and will be flying both ways....lol....my daughter is not a fan of road trips. Years ago we decided to drive down to California and along the way she said, "Why aren't we flying?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.