Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to start ANC-CDB, move up AKN/DLG service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

Nope, not a late April Fools. AS is in the process of starting service to Cold Bay (CDB) in order to support Dutch Harbor. DUT lost service when 7H went belly-up, and AS currently doesn't have an aircraft that can serve DUT reliably (if you don't know, the arrival/departure procedures into DUT are...interesting). CDB has over 10,000 feet of runway and is about an hours' flight from DUT on a Cessna Caravan provided by Grant Aviation.

The press release also says they will evaluate other destinations served by 7H...I wonder if we might see the Q400's back in Alaska before much longer.

I thought this deserved its own thread since it involves a new destination.

Link: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2020-...ion-of-service
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just saw the article from KTUU.

Good for AS.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Al...569415851.html

CDB is a nice size airport- should be fine landing there. Did this on the Saab 340 coming back from DUT... one of only a couple pax who were excited to 'stop for fuel' there
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:54 pm

I remember hearing the stories of TPAC flights from Asia to North America making an emergency stop in CDB... that airport can definitely handle any AS plane. Anyways, good to see DUT getting some support during these times.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ezak
I remember hearing the stories of TPAC flights from Asia to North America making an emergency stop in CDB... that airport can definitely handle any AS plane. Anyways, good to see DUT getting some support during these times.
The fishing crews need to get out there somehow... plus the occasional doctor
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:38 pm

I've worked charters to CDB so they can definitely land there
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:49 pm

The 737-700, lightly loaded, should be able to do it.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
The 737-700, lightly loaded, should be able to do it.
CDB can handle any plane in the fleet, fully loaded. It’s an old Air Force facility that used to be an alternate for the space shuttle. Tpac heavies still drop in occasionally on diversions.

Unless you are thinking of DUT itself. The last 737 that could land at DUT was the 732. The current next-gens can’t do it. That’s why AS farmed it out to Penair since the 732’s retired.
tusphotog, KRSW, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by Chugach
CDB can handle any plane in the fleet, fully loaded. It’s an old Air Force facility that used to be an alternate for the space shuttle. Tpac heavies still drop in occasionally on diversions.

Unless you are thinking of DUT itself. The last 737 that could land at DUT was the 732. The current next-gens can’t do it. That’s why AS farmed it out to Penair since the 732’s retired.
I remember going to DUT many years ago on a 737-200 combi....interesting trip.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Chugach

Yeah, I was thinking of DUT.
Chugach likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
maybe Delta can sell AS their de-ice truck that's still sitting in Cold Bay after their last ETOPS diversion there.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:59 am
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Wonder how they’ll handle TSA screening in CDB...that was a hot mess back when they were doing it in Dutch long ago...

And which will open first, the new SFO Lounge or screening checkpoint in Cold Bay 😬

DUT
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by DUT
Wonder how they’ll handle TSA screening in CDB...that was a hot mess back when they were doing it in Dutch long ago...

And which will open first, the new SFO Lounge or screening checkpoint in Cold Bay 😬

DUT
They do have a 737-700 or three that can fly out the cargo for the scanners.

And TSA can fly out in a similar manner to ADK.

Heck, would they run ANC-CDB-ADK perhaps? TSA could screen both sets of pax.

Sounds like AS might need to RTS the ole 'mudhen for DUT
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:41 am
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa
They do have a 737-700 or three that can fly out the cargo for the scanners.

And TSA can fly out in a similar manner to ADK.

Sounds like AS might need to RTS the ole 'mudhen for DUT
Anything is possible, I suppose...

The shuttle to DUT will also be interesting...what happens if the Jet makes it in, drops a 100 people in CDB, but they can not connect to Dutch? Hummmm...

And yes, I lived in Dutch a long time ago hence my FlyerTalk username of DUT.

DUT
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa

I'd be very surprised if that isn't under consideration. From a passenger perspective it almost makes too much sense. 25 people is a healthy passenger load for Adak; several years ago AS threatened to dump ADK because they were burning money even with the EAS subsidy. I think when the contract renewed AS was able to get more money to keep operating there. Where it might get a little weird is cargo, but that could probably be worked through.

The big question would be whether they can do the one-stop same plane service under the EAS agreement for Adak, or if they are required to go nonstop.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
maybe Delta can sell AS their de-ice truck that's still sitting in Cold Bay after their last ETOPS diversion there.
Didn't DL donate that truck to the community of Cold Bay as a "thank you"? I say "thank you" because they probably just didn't want to pay the freight to get it back out of there.

Originally Posted by DUT

DUT
Probably the same as ADK...fly the screeners on the plane.

Originally Posted by DUT
Anything is possible, I suppose...

The shuttle to DUT will also be interesting...what happens if the Jet makes it in, drops a 100 people in CDB, but they can not connect to Dutch? Hummmm...

And yes, I lived in Dutch a long time ago hence my FlyerTalk username of DUT.

DUT
Reminds me of long ago, before KTN was built and the only way to fly to Ketchikan was to land at the old Annette Island (ANN) airport and take a goose over to Ketchikan. What's old is new again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.