Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Limited time: Get to elite status 50% faster!

Old Mar 6, 20, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle

From an email I just received. Not surprised to see this given the impact to passengers from COVID-19.. Wonder if this is targeted..

REGISTER NOW EARN STATUS
50% FASTER
Earn 50% more elite qualifying miles for a limited time. Just register and fly by April 11, 2020.*

The sweeter rewards of status GLOBAL PERKS COMING SOON. There’s never been a better time to be a Mileage Plan™ elite. Earn status in 2020 so you'll be ready to take advantage of expanded American Airlines and oneworld® perks starting in 2021.1
GET A BETTER VIEW. Preferred seating, plus First Class and Premium Class upgrades, when available.2
SKIP THE LINE. Priority check-in and boarding for
less waiting at the airport. LEARN MORE

Book / Mileage Plan™ /
My account / Contact

*Eligible members who register for this promotion before their first qualifying flight will receive a 50% bonus on elite qualifying miles earned on flights marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Airlines between March 7 and April 11, 2020. Mileage for qualifying flights must be credited to the member's Mileage Plan™ account. Not valid on free or award travel. The bonus elite-qualifying miles awarded as part of this promotion apply only to the number of miles that count toward elite status qualification and will not be available for redemption. All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan program apply. 1Alaska Airlines has announced its intention to join oneworld® alliance in 2021. 2Saver fares (booked in X class of service) are not eligible for elite upgrades.
ijkh likes this.
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:35 pm

Just received the same e-mail - same terms as well.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AS MVP, AA Plat, DL Gold, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Also just got this email as a mere AS MVP.
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Got it as well.

I wonder if we will see more of these throughout the year in response to the coronavirus kerfuffle.
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP
This will work on flights booked before this offer was announced as long as they fall within the eligible travel dates, right?
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, NEXUS
I got it too.
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s View Post
This will work on flights booked before this offer was announced as long as they fall within the eligible travel dates, right?
I'll let you know tomorrow. But obviously this just came out, so you'd have to ask AS.

I mean this makes sense, but I don't see how this helps so much, if most people are impacted currently from not being able to fly, earning 50% EQM in the next month won't be much help for travelers who are not flying. Unless you are doing so for leisure or you company is still having you travel (but then why do they need the additional EQM at this point?). Also unfortunate, but not surprising, that it has to be on AS metal. Also, only having this promo for a month seems like they either are taking it month by month or expect travel to pick back up then.
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP
This window encompasses spring break travel - I will certainly benefit from a transcon trip already booked that my family and I will be keeping. I wonder if they're seeing a bump in spring break cancellations. On the other hand, I suspect that spring break flyers are largely non-elites who won't benefit from extra EQM.
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
I am flying! Incentive to put a few trips I want in.
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:49 pm

This doesn't appear targeted.

https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/AS2008#register-form
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Since most of my travel is for leisure and I have a few trips after my 14-day quarantine is over, this is helpful. I already registered after I received the email.

To confirm then, if I have a flight in F booked, I'll earn 75% more for class of service bonus and then an ADDITIONAL 50% on top of that or 50% extra from the regular mileage? I realize people probably don't know more than I do given the information, so if anyone does fly and find out, would appreciate the update. Might convince me to upgrade a flight since the prices have dropped.
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:53 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
I mean this makes sense, but I don't see how this helps so much, if most people are impacted currently from not being able to fly, earning 50% EQM in the next month won't be much help for travelers who are not flying. Unless you are doing so for leisure or you company is still having you travel (but then why do they need the additional EQM at this point?). Also unfortunate, but not surprising, that it has to be on AS metal. Also, only having this promo for a month seems like they either are taking it month by month or expect travel to pick back up then.
Yes, I'd view this as just the beginning. If, somehow, the virus recedes in a month, then the offer may have helped retain a little traffic during that period. But if it continues to get worse, then they'll probably extend and up the offer as time goes on, or move towards outright status extensions.

The bottom line is that if you have a mass of current elites who aren't requalifying for 2021, it is going to be very attractive for those people to status match to one of the US3 (most likely DL, given the network overlap). That is something AS cannot afford.
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/2MM, AS 75k, DL MM, former fan of TWA
This is working as planned for me... I got the email and am already looking to book some unexpected trips during the promotion window.
Old Mar 6, 20, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
What great timing, JFK-SFO-SEA tomorrow in U. I will be getting almost as many miles as paid F! And at T-16 hours still 8 F seats available on the transcon.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Mar 6, 20, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Hawaii next Tuesday it is then!

Edit: Upgrades each way cleared right after booking!
innerspace and Bellerina like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: