Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Updates: Successfully changed JAL J to F for a flight in the upcoming week, for no change fee +10k miles (same flight, just different cabin) Originally had two F flights for the mom and pops, now their son can join them in in the front of the cabin.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Domestic Japan before INTL intra-asia

Is it possible to book an itin such as HND-KIX-BKK with AS where the layover in KIX is 16 hours? (arr KIX 0830, dep 0050am) It comes up as an option using AA miles on AA.com but not on Alaska website. If not I guess we can either use 30K AA or 7.5K AA + 25K AS for the one ways.(It's late and I've been at this for a while, so getting a bit delirious)
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Is it possible to book an itin such as HND-KIX-BKK with AS where the layover in KIX is 16 hours? (arr KIX 0830, dep 0050am) It comes up as an option using AA miles on AA.com but not on Alaska website. If not I guess we can either use 30K AA or 7.5K AA + 25K AS for the one ways.(It's late and I've been at this for a while, so getting a bit delirious)

it is allowed KIX-HND-BKK with 16-hour layover. I think the problem is with connecting for JL Intra-Asia. It seems that only TYO is allowed.

You can connect KIX for HND-KIX-LAX, however.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
It is a legal connection on an international itinerary. You used to be able to book it online but not anymore. In a fair world you would be able to call in and book it but the only way to know for sure is to try it. If it does not work you might also consider 6k BA + 25k AS if you have access to Avios.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by freed0m
it is allowed KIX-HND-BKK with 16-hour layover. I think the problem is with connecting for JL Intra-Asia. It seems that only TYO is allowed.

You can connect KIX for HND-KIX-LAX, however.
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It is a legal connection on an international itinerary. You used to be able to book it online but not anymore. In a fair world you would be able to call in and book it but the only way to know for sure is to try it. If it does not work you might also consider 6k BA + 25k AS if you have access to Avios.
Thank you for your replies. It does appear that AS search doesn't allow you do book connections in Osaka(KIX-KIX nor ITM-KIX cxns) in the same way you can book them in TYO. We changed up our plans and booked an award HND-HIJ for 6K BA(thanks for this suggestion!) and then HIJ-HND/NRT-BKK for 25K AS with a 3hr20min cxn in TYO. We had called AS to book the latter and the agent helped us realize that we could build that in multi-city on the AS website to save the phone booking fee.

For the return BKK-KIX/ITM-HND we'll use AA miles since AS doesn't play nice with this. (Phone agent said they couldn't do it)
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I’ve manage to book XXX-HND//KIX-YYY (that’s an unflown land segment) using multi city...
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I’ve manage to book XXX-HND//KIX-YYY (that’s an unflown land segment) using multi city...
Intra-Asia or XXX or YYY is North America?

before or after Intra-Asia stopover is gone?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:03 pm

I'm doing HKG-NRT, 7 day stopover, KIX-LAX-SJC-SEA in J and F which I booked a few weeks ago.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Updates: Successfully changed JAL J to F for a flight in the upcoming week, for no change fee +10k miles (same flight, just different cabin) Originally had two F flights for the mom and pops, now their son can join them in in the front of the cabin.
How were you able to do this without incurring a change fee? I'm looking to upgrade a couple Y tickets to J and they said it would cost $125 per ticket.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:08 am

Is there a rule of thumb as far as how many seats JAL opens to AS in J when AS shows availability or is it a total crapshoot? Looking to upgrade a couple Y tickets to J (AS currently shows availability), but I'm currently waiting on some Bonvoy points to transfer over to AS to complete the upgrade and wondering what my odds are that the J seats will get snatched before then. JAL shows a healthy amount of cash fare availability in the cabin for the same flight FWIW.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jomama341
Is there a rule of thumb as far as how many seats JAL opens to AS in J when AS shows availability or is it a total crapshoot? Looking to upgrade a couple Y tickets to J (AS currently shows availability), but I'm currently waiting on some Bonvoy points to transfer over to AS to complete the upgrade and wondering what my odds are that the J seats will get snatched before then. JAL shows a healthy amount of cash fare availability in the cabin for the same flight FWIW.
From where? There are plenty JFK/LAX-HND/NRT J awards...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freed0m
Intra-Asia or XXX or YYY is North America?

before or after Intra-Asia stopover is gone?
In this case, North America-Japan-Asia. So I get a stopover.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just so you know, that’s not an upgrade. You will be reissuing a different award and subject to change/cancel fees (waived for Gold/75K).
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
How were you able to do this without incurring a change fee? I'm looking to upgrade a couple Y tickets to J and they said it would cost $125 per ticket.
I’m not sure. But I changed from J to F and there was no change fee
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
In this case, North America-Japan-Asia. So I get a stopover.
from/to North America is more liberal.

certain rules can be broken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.