FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   What’s your tipping point to buy into F? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1994129-what-s-your-tipping-point-buy-into-f.html)

PDXPremier Nov 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 31727426)
...what empty middle? :confused:

Things have gotten quite full.

And yes, F is pricing out often at a much more reasonable level. So its making it more difficult to secure an upgrade.

My wife and I book 17A/C when we are traveling without our kids and even on very full flights (like SEA-SAN last Sunday), we've had pretty good luck not having anyone in 17B.

williwaw Nov 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 31729572)
My wife and I book 17A/C when we are traveling without our kids and even on very full flights (like SEA-SAN last Sunday), we've had pretty good luck not having anyone in 17B.

I wish this happened on transcons. Had a surprising number of Xs show up in 17B or E.

NoLaGent Nov 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw (Post 31729944)
I wish this happened on transcons. Had a surprising number of Xs show up in 17B or E.

Better than an Ex tho.

williwaw Nov 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 31731097)
Better than an Ex tho.

There’s a country song to be had there.

James Moore Nov 15, 2019 8:57 am

For me, there's always the thought that a short flight can turn into a long flight if things go wrong. Sitting on a runway in first makes things a tiny bit less annoying.

CMK10 Dec 17, 2019 7:26 am

I like to get at least $1/minute in the air or under for costs. I also weigh bonus miles vs. chance of upgrade and how much it's going to help me with requalification.

bmvaughn Dec 17, 2019 9:46 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 31727358)
I think the cost difference between main cabin and F on these intra-California E175 flights has gotten low enough that these flights are no longer the "slam dung" elite upgrades that they were in the past....

:cool:

StephanP37 Dec 18, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by twitch76 (Post 31701489)
Soon to be MVPG here. I’ve got a quick work trip coming up (SAN-FAT) in a couple of weeks. Main fare is $114, F is $149. Pretty certain I’ll get U, as the First cabin rarely flies full on these flights. I could pay the extra $35 out of pocket for the COS bonus miles, but I’m not sure it’s worth it. I will have already attained MVPG by then, so I don’t need the miles for tier qualification.

Thoughts?

Like someone else said it really depends on if you need the miles and how long the flight is. The easy formula I typically use if I am flying alone is 30%. Meaning I figure if the first class ticket is 30% or less more than a standard ticket its probably worth it for me to buy first class and get the 75% status miles bump. For me personally I would also do this if it was a longer flight that had minimal shot at the upgrade even if I didnt need the miles, but I pretty much always need the miles in trying to keep MVP75 because I am typically right on the edge so I stick pretty close to that 30 percent strategy, certainly if its anywhere near 75% more then makes no sense unless you have got cash to burn!

bon mot Dec 18, 2019 5:44 pm

I hover around a max of double the cost for F – almost twice the EQM with some extra comfort thrown in – but that is dependent on where I’m going and what I have to do after landing, earlier vs later in the year (for upgrades), elite level desired for the least amount of hours away from my office, etc. But considering most F/I fares for my flights greatly exceed that calculus, and I own my own business and pay for all my travel, I stay with PE.