Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now Boarding Group D as in Death?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question Now Boarding Group D as in Death?

So, I was next to the AS gate at PHX when the GA said Now Boarding Group B as in Barrel, can't remember what he said for C and then Group D as in Death.

Maybe he said Depth but multiple of us heard Death.

Really?

I don't fly AS - is the "letter boarding zone" thing an AS thing or VX thing? Seems better to use numbers since it would be easier for non-English speakers if nothing else - and avoid things like this...
anniegray and tusphotog like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The switch to a letter scheme took place in July 2018.

D as in Death...
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
The switch to a letter scheme took place in July 2018.

D as in Death...
Maybe she wanted to refrain from using the Phonetic Alphabet.

D as in "DELTA"

James
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
I have noticed lately that the GA have been trying to lighten things up by announcing group numbers like “B, beautiful..”. I wasn’t there but I very much doubt they said “D..death”. However you bring up a good point, just stay to the basics...A, B, C, D...that way there never be any misinterpretation...🙄
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
If they're going to use letter boarding groups, they really should make the GAs stick with the phonetic alphabet, as is standard across the industry. Of course, Delta is a competitor so maybe they don't want to give them any more free press.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Maybe she wanted to refrain from using the Phonetic Alphabet.

D as in "DELTA"

James
It's like the trains at ATL, which go to alfa, bravo, charlie... and david.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I've heard 'A as in awesome' before, although I never stuck around the gate long enough to hear D announced. Perhaps they should go with 'D as in delightful' to stick with the positive theme. There do seem to be a lot of words to avoid starting with D. In addition to Death, I would be a bit hesitant to hear Dive, Dirigible, Donor, Danger, Disaster.....
Flying for Fun and jjmadison like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by zymm
I've heard 'A as in awesome' before, although I never stuck around the gate long enough to hear D announced. Perhaps they should go with 'D as in delightful' to stick with the positive theme. There do seem to be a lot of words to avoid starting with D. In addition to Death, I would be a bit hesitant to hear Dive, Dirigible, Donor, Danger, Disaster.....
Delayed? Delusional (that there will be overhead bin space)?
jjmadison and tusphotog like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I most often hear: Awesome, Beautiful, Charming, and Delightful.

I did recently hear a different set of words that were thematically linked (food, maybe?), but I don’t remember exactly.

It could be that the context of A-C would have helped us better understand what was used for D in this particular instance.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by twitch76
I most often hear: Awesome, Beautiful, Charming, and Delightful.

I did recently hear a different set of words that were thematically linked (food, maybe?), but I don’t remember exactly.

It could be that the context of A-C would have helped us better understand what was used for D in this particular instance.
Have been getting upgraded lately so not sure what's typical, but have heard at LAX: A as in Ariana Grande, B as in Britney Spears, C as in Christina Aguliera, D as in Destiny's Child before.
mildfrequence and CREN like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It might be a policitally correct move to avoid common Western European origin names: A as in Andrew, B as in Bob, C for Charlie, D for David, etc.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:53 am

Perhaps it was “D as in Deft.” I rather doubt it was, but less dark at least.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Perhaps it was “D as in Deft.” I rather doubt it was, but less dark at least.
That would sound a lot like D as in Deaf, which might not be a good look for AS either.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
It's too bad they can't use the phonetic alphabet due to the word being Delta - those words were all chosen for good reason, they're very distinct.
I used to do phone tech support as an internship during college and would sometimes have to read out passwords to people.
Our team used to always just pick random words because there was no official policy. Eventually someone found the phonetic alphabet and we all started using that because it was so much easier.

My guess is that Alaska didn't give them any specific training on words to use with the announcement. I've seen some do the "A as in Awesome..." route (that's as far as I usually make it) but those gate agents may have just come up with that on their own, or shared between themselves. In this case, maybe he meant "depth" or he just thought "death" would be amusing but yeah, not a good call.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I'll presume "depth". The standard phonetic alphabet is effective but businesslike. I find it likable when gate agents use creative fun words. So they may miss the mark occasionally, I still find that better than Sierra Oscar Sierra all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.