Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gold 75K Via AS Business Credit Card Spending? (Signs Point to Yes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold 75K Via AS Business Credit Card Spending? (Signs Point to Yes)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wouldn’t they get the welcome packet? I assumed those were sent out automatically. It wouldn’t tell them how they hit it, but it should at least let them know that you did.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I want to know who puts 1/4 mil a year on a single CC and yet flies so cheaply that they manage to get the miles without the spend.

Other than business expenses, I just don't see it being too likely. You bought the porsche on the card but you fly basic economy and are good with back row, middle seat?
Don't want to pull this too far off topic, but I don't think it would be hard. Diamond MQD requirement is $15k, which means around $17k in actual spending, or 13.6 cpm. Just to pull up a random example, I see DL Premium Select tickets from SFO to CDG for ~$1500 RT in the fall, which should earn around 17k MQMs after COS bonus. That's only 9 cpm, which falls far short of what you'd need. Even if you were flying (discount) business to South/SE Asia, you could come in under 14 cpm. You just need a fare in the $3-4k range, which is definitely doable.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Well this has to be triple secret as it seems some who have it don't really know about it or how it works.
I've spoken with FFers that don't even know much about their status or what it could be worth to them.
williwaw likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
@Beckoa thanks!
@halamadrid

To add some more substance/details:

I feel a little weird still talking about it. Alaska has been good to me, and I feel like giving away a little secret.. so, it’s with some hesitation I mention this.

For the last 5-6 years, I’ve been Gold with Alaska the normal way. BIS all the way.
I got to 75K in 2017 - barely, but all BIS either on AS or some paid J Intl on partners.
Status was nice, the bonus miles were nice, and I got more upgrades out of PDX. So, all good in 2018

Last year (2018) I status matched to DL and flew them mostly. (Why I feel a little bad talking about this for some reason) - just more for international trips and service to smaller cities in the US
Expected to drop down to MVP for 2019, as that is what I qualified for with BIS flying.

I was quite surprised in January to get an email from Alaska that I was 75k again for the coming year.
The email did not say my spend was the reason... but I strongly strongly assumed it was based on my spend.

--
My company spends a couple hundred thousand a month on various credit cards, and probably $500-$600k on the Alaska card annually?
Spend on that card has actually declined a bit, again as I've focused more on Chase UR/Amex MR and the bonuses there (see, I'm a good FTer!)

So, my assumption was it was based on spend. Now, I do arrange a lot of travel for my team out of my account. Using miles and cash.
It's possible they count that 'airfare spend influence??' but, I'm way less certain they care.

I read that co-branded cards are one of the easiest and most profitable ways the airlines make money...without the pesky issue of having to fly a plane around to generate income.
So, it generally makes sense that they would reward someone who spends an oversized amount with them each month.
That said, it does feel a little strange, hence why I never brought it up this year.

AS has been good to me.
When there is a route they fly non-stop, I general just book it and never look at other options - same for my team, I generally just pick AS and book up.
So, I’m a decently customer all around, but, I believe I’ve got 75k this year specifically because of fairly significant amounts of spend on CC.
Thanks for providing the additional information. I really don't think that this falls outside of the norm of things that airlines normally do with customers/entities that bring in a certain amount of revenue (even if in this case it's through cc spend). My curiosity came in terms of seeing the parameters and I really don't have a problem with Alaska doing this for what <50 people in any given year?
I know for example that UA gives companies the ability to give key employees Global Services status based on the amount of revenue they provide (the company to UA). It can be the case that such employee hasn't even flown a single mile with UA, but the company wants them to have it (e.g. recent high level executive hire who needs to do a lot of travel in the future).
Old May 24, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Exactly. In fact, most programs' top tiers started as a double secret unpublished sort of status. I'm neither surprised nor disappointed to learn that AS may do the same.
I think I remember Microsoft and Amazon employees getting AS Gold without having flown AS ?
Old May 24, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by pcoll

I think I remember Microsoft and Amazon employees getting AS Gold without having flown AS ?
There have been off and on again promos for those employers:
https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/microsoft
https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/AS16...-offers:amazon
Old May 24, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since this is going to be such a small number of people, I'm just surprised that no one reached out proactively.

Giving status to a high-value prospective customer is only useful if the customer knows about it.
Old May 25, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Since this is going to be such a small number of people, I'm just surprised that no one reached out proactively.

Giving status to a high-value prospective customer is only useful if the customer knows about it.
AS' Marketing team has done this for years, but it's unknown exactly how small of a number it really is. Our marketing rep has only told me that it's a certain % of the top business card holders based on annual spend, and he wouldn't disclose that %.

FWIW, my CFO was given it, and our spend is between $200k-$250k on his card, with 2 other Execs (1 being me) having their own cards (also linked to the business account), with approximately another $100k of spend annually.

I can't prove this, but I think they also take into account home airport (we're SFO) and travel patterns. We shifted a fair amount of travel from UA to AS several years ago and it was definitely noticed.

Edited to add: It is announced to the recipient via letter, but maybe the OP's Uncle never noticed it, or the mailing slipped through the cracks somehow.

Last edited by NoLaGent; May 25, 2019 at 9:36 am Reason: edited to add-proactive acknowledgment
Old May 25, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Added as another data point: 2 of our sales team travel strictly East, and thus on UA (non-AS markets) and we bought them PassPlus, so they're automatically GS, which is arguably better.

$50k/per person for GS.
MDtR-Chicago likes this.

Last edited by NoLaGent; May 25, 2019 at 7:12 pm Reason: GS $ amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.