Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

JAL Second Meal Needs to be Ordered? (No, Requested)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold

Recently flew from SFO to HND on JAL 1 redeeming AS miles for J. Enjoyed the comfy bed with air weave mattress on 777. FA were courteous. Everything was great except for the fact that you have to "order" for the second meal. I ordered my AVML ahead of time. So I din't care to read the menu and did not know second meal needs to be specifically ordered. A lot of times FA don't give me menu as they know I ordered AVML. I was eagerly waiting as they were serving meal to everyone else and cleared their tables. I finally called the FA to figure the meal service is closed for landing in 1 hour. Very disappointed and not expected from JAL as all the reviews I read were praising them. May be they could have asked me if I need anything before closing the kitchen. Its not like I was sleeping. Thought I'll post the experience here incase anyone din't know about second meal.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean ordered in advance, or just ordered?

How come everyone else got it? There's no way that everyone else is paying that much attention.

I've only flown this route in F but I'm flying SEA-NRT in a month (paid, not award, so no F this time) and I assume it's the same procedure.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:51 pm

When I flew JAL 1 in F, I believe they asked about preferences for the later meal early in the flight, including do you want to be woken up or not. I think they gave us a paper form to fill out and it may have been at the seat when we boarded. It may have been a hanging card you could stick on the coat hook at the seat.

It really has nothing to do with the currency used to purchase the ticket and nothing do with AS operationally.

-David
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
When I flew JAL 1 in F, I believe they asked about preferences for the later meal early in the flight, including do you want to be woken up or not. I think they gave us a paper form to fill out and it may have been at the seat when we boarded. It may have been a hanging card you could stick on the coat hook at the seat.

It really has nothing to do with the currency used to purchase the ticket and nothing do with AS operationally.

-David
Really? I flew this last month. I had pre-ordered the Japanese meal, I guess.. maybe that's why I didn't get the card.

They also have most of the food items available a la carte so no one should be going hungry. (J is a different story)
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I read the OP as saying that a special meal (such as vegetarian) was ordered in advance for the first meal but not the second. OP thought by ordering once they would get both meals, which, unfortunately, wasn’t the case.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I read the OP as saying that a special meal (such as vegetarian) was ordered in advance for the first meal but not the second. OP thought by ordering once they would get both meals, which, unfortunately, wasn’t the case.
There is not, to my knowledge, a way to order a second meal. The SPML order covers all services on the flight.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just flew this route Friday. No issue with preordering Japanese meal in F. Very tasty. Compare this to what was just served CT-HND. Nothing. Free gogo is nice though domestically.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:33 am

Sorry, so what's the verdict here?
I'm flying JAL business in 2 months. What is this pre-ordering business? Is this sort of like what SQ offers? And how could the FA just ignore you if you're awake while everyone else is being served?!
I've only ever flown J on ANA in the last 10 years, and the only pre-ordering I know is kid's meal, vegetarian, etc. If I need to pre-order something, do I have to call JAL?

(sorry, this is really a JAL item, but thought I'd ask since I saw the thread and I'm flying JAL with AS miles)
Old May 11, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Noth8ng. Reds to be pre-ordered. JAL serves the second meal on-demand. You need to request it. Nothing more.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Noth8ng. Reds to be pre-ordered. JAL serves the second meal on-demand. You need to request it. Nothing more.
It is route dependent. If you are flying to the West Coast (relatively short flights) there is a list of "snacks" on the menu you can, as you say, order on demand. There is no "formal" meal service before arrival to the West Coast.

If you are flying to the East Coast, a full meal service is offered before arrival. There is an abbreviated list of "snacks" on the menu available to order, on demand, between the two meal services.

I enjoyed the Udon Noodles on my F flight to LAX and the Japanese Breakfast on my F flight to JFK. If you are hungry, order something. If you are not hungry, order something....

James in Dallas
Old May 11, 2019, 8:19 am

Ok thank you.
So the bottomline is you just place the request on board and there’s nothing to do prior to the flight.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
I am still confused about the “pre-order” term.

We will by flying JL in F on the HND-SFO route (thanks to AS miles). Are we supposed to choose our meals on the website in advance? Or does “pre-order” simply mean advise the cabin crew that one wishes to be served the second (pre-landing) meal?

Thanks for the clarification.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enzian
I am still confused about the “pre-order” term.

We will by flying JL in F on the HND-SFO route (thanks to AS miles). Are we supposed to choose our meals on the website in advance? Or does “pre-order” simply mean advise the cabin crew that one wishes to be served the second (pre-landing) meal?

Thanks for the clarification.
I've flown this twice, in F.

I always preorder the Japanese meal out of an abundance of caution. But it's completely unnecessary.

Here's a menu from March:

I'm pretty sure they didn't run out of anything, including people ordering some of these courses a la carte. Basically, they will bring you whatever you want whenever you want it.
rustykettel likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I always preorder the Japanese meal out of an abundance of caution. But it's completely unnecessary.
How do you preorder it? Do you call, or is there a place to request this online under your booking?
Old May 11, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
How do you preorder it? Do you call, or is there a place to request this online under your booking?
Just look up your reservation on the JAL site. From there you can select seats and meals. Be sure to use the JL locator, not the AS locator. Both should be shown in your trip summary.

EDIT: Actually, that menu I posted was SFO-HND, not the reverse. Your menu should actually be a bit better -- there is some top-end stuff that's only available ex-TYO, probably due to catering issues. I've never flown HND-SFO though... for me, SFO-HND has always been the first leg of a circle trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.