Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska - Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA) Update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

hearing that XNA officials finally got a meeting with Alaska scheduled for next week
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:05 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

XNA is the closest airport to Walmart HQ.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
XNA has maintained a very weak schedule to the West Coast. ITA Matrix shows Monday's schedule as 2x AA E175 to LAX, and 1x UA E75 to SFO.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
XNA has maintained a very weak schedule to the West Coast. ITA Matrix shows Monday's schedule as 2x AA E175 to LAX, and 1x UA E75 to SFO.
my initial reaction to this thread title is “So what?” ...

as with most other conversations about prospective AS destinations, insight into O/D traffic on these three routes, as well as SEA/PDX<—>XNA traffic over AA/UA/DL hubs, would be useful
AS Flyer and jinglish like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Not too shabby for the 105th largest MSA in the country tho.

XNA is feeling it after getting Frontier last week, as well as yet another AA nonstop (PHL). Seattle and Bentonville are the two largest retail centers in the world now tho, so this could make sense (as well as picking up Asia feed heading to $WMT, which is what the LAX and SFO flights also cater to obv.)
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
At least at one time, it was possible to fly LAX to somewhere on the East Coast, perhaps LGA on an EMB-145 with a stop in XNA. Someone must have been on one of those flights.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Walmart IT office is in the bay area. I've a friend who works for them and she uses the UA nonstop. The schedule is pretty bad for SFO based flyer since it's evening SFO-XNA and early morning back.

If AS schedules a prime time morning SFO-XNA and afternoon back, they'll get all of Walmart's business. A E75 should work fine on this route.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
Walmart IT office is in the bay area. I've a friend who works for them and she uses the UA nonstop. The schedule is pretty bad for SFO based flyer since it's evening SFO-XNA and early morning back.
to my mind, that’s a pretty ideal schedule for people in the SF office who have to make a one- or two-day mid-week trip to HQ ... at least half a day in the office before leaving, and at least half a day in the office after the return flight
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
At least at one time, it was possible to fly LAX to somewhere on the East Coast, perhaps LGA on an EMB-145 with a stop in XNA. Someone must have been on one of those flights.
yeah that's it, via AA and yes to LGA. for all i know it might still exist too, since AA is still 2X daily to LAX and 2X daily to LGA
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingstudent

If AS schedules a prime time morning SFO-XNA and afternoon back, they'll get all of Walmart's business. A E75 should work fine on this route.
would it really start from SFO tho since there's already a competitor? seems like, if the traffic projections warrant, SEA is where it would come from.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jrl767

to my mind, that’s a pretty ideal schedule for people in the SF office who have to make a one- or two-day mid-week trip to HQ ... at least half a day in the office before leaving, and at least half a day in the office after the return flight
And even more ideal for someone XNA based (where the travel decision making is more likely to be made along with more senior execs) that can fly out for their meeting and be back to sleep in their own bed.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wrcraig
would it really start from SFO tho since there's already a competitor? seems like, if the traffic projections warrant, SEA is where it would come from.
Could be SJC, but as I recall their offices are in Foster City so SFO would be closer.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Umm...that’s an excellent schedule. For most airports and metro areas of this size on the east half of the country maintain exactly 0 daily flights to California.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
My point is, don't expect a SEA flight any time soon. I don't think I would describe XNA on east half. Unloved middle, maybe.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My point is, don't expect a SEA flight any time soon. I don't think I would describe XNA on east half. Unloved middle, maybe.
I can't see an AS Bay Area flight either. "OK, so you can take UA to China/Japan/etc, or you can combine AS+, uh, HU or JL I guess? And oh, look, UA's now selling flights out of XNA for $15. Good times, I guess we like losing money."

If AS is basically blowing off corporate business by not offering a competitive transcon product out of SFO/LAX, chasing after Walmart in XNA (when they can offer ZERO connectivity east of XNA) seems a bit schizophrenic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.