Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plan Award Tickets to Europe - Any Secrets to Share?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors

Hello - Apologies if there is a thread like this already up and running; I haven't been able to find it. But - per the topic, I'm trying to find AS/MP award space from pretty much any US city to pretty much any European city for late summer. The deal-breaker seems to be that I don't want coach on the long leg. I will get myself to wherever I have to go for that leg, but the AS search engine almost always wants me to break it into two or more legs, even when there is space available on the nonstop portion of the itinerary when searching from other cities. Example: If I search for SEA-FRA (DE), it won't give me nonstop availability in Business (routes me through PDX), but when I search for PDX-FRA, it wants to route me though SEA. So technically, the business seats from either PDX or SEA are available, but it just wants to make life difficult, I guess. Of course, AA has NO over-the-pond legs in first or business (it offers me those routes, but every one of them is a "mixed class" with the coach leg being the longhaul, and the big miles going toward the short F class flight - PHX-DFW, for example... seriously!), BA charging those monster taxes and 50-hour itineraries, even when the longhaul premium seat is not available, and DE (which I have flown and enjoyed) sending me to some other city to catch the longhaul flight (I don't mind a 2-leg itinerary, but I still have to get to that first leg from my PSP home airport, or somewhere around there). OK - enough whining from here.... is this just futile, or are there some tips anyone can share? Thank you!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
This is a common complaint with AS award availability to Europe but it can be overcome with a little flexibility and advanced planning. When specifically are you looking? I just did some searches during the last week of July and found SEA-YVR-FRA where the SEA-YVR was AS Y and the YVR-FRA was Condor J.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:12 am

What I always do is look for the flight to Europe from whatever US gateways Condor or Icelandair have (or Finnair now, I suppose), and then work backwords to setup position flights on AS. Don't start out at your true origin or AS will continously throw weird routings at you.
James Moore likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I almost exclusively use AA for Europe travel using AS miles and have found somewhat decent availability, particularly in Y. During the "off season", AA flights can be had for as little as 22.5K one-way and that includes a "free" stopover....speaking of stopovers....using other partners like Condor or Air France or even British Airways can sometimes limit your options for stopovers unless you're talking about stopping over in one of the partner airline's hub. I typically make my stopover my "home airport" to add an entirely new trip to my award. For example...if I turn-in miles for CDG-PDX (3 month stopover)-PVR, that's relatively easy to do using AA/AS, but if I use Air France or a non-AA partner for the CDG-PDX part of the trip, I'm not allowed to use AA for the add-on PDX-PVR which limits my choices of flights since I can't mix partners and have to look for AS-metal only flights.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by RetiredSFOATC
OK - enough whining from here.... is this just futile, or are there some tips anyone can share? Thank you!
The secret is AS is probably the weakest of the major US-based programs (AA, DL, UA, AS) for premium cabin redemptions to Europe. Every other program has better partner availability you can redeem on (*A, VS, AF, KL, EI, IB). AS basically has BA (lots of carrier surcharges), AA (their premium availability to Europe in summer is basically 0, and what there is is snapped up very quickly whenever it's opened), and random LCCs DE and FI (FI has carrier surcharges too) where the advance J fares don't offer a lot of premium over cash.

The Europe redemption side of the program took big hits when DL, KL and AF said "hasta la vista".

Personally I look at flying BA F as paying for Y on a non-earning ticket and getting a three cabin upgrade...
be_rettSEA and jinglish like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:35 pm

Another option to try is Emirates. You normally have to make a stop in Dubai, but that's actually a good thing IMO as a quick visit in Dubai is always fun. I know that EK has many destinations in Europe, but MXP and NCE are ones where I usually find good availability. A good strategy is to first do a search for the over the water portion from EK's US gateways. You'll usually have better luck with airports like IAH or MCO over the bigger ones like SFO, LAX, SEA, or JFK. Once you see availability in J for the over the water segment, you can then do the search for that day and start trying European destinations as your final destination. I just found 2 seats in J for August 8 to MXP from IAH on EK. It's 105K each way per passenger, but worth it IMO. Good luck! P.S. you can then work backwards to look for your US gateway to the EK gateway, but that may be tough to find on AS so you may need to purchase that part separately, but shouldn't be too much at least in Y.
Flying for Fun and be_rettSEA like this.

Last edited by halamadrid; Apr 19, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:05 pm

I ended buying a ticket to Europe in March since fares weren’t bad. But I did look at AS awards first and basically everything I saw was on BA, Icelandair or Emirates (the latter with a connection in DXB). There seemed to be no AA avail I could find on any day looking at multiple European airports. I was looking at UK, Italy, Netherlands and Sweden which is probably why Condor didn’t pop up
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Generally, it doesn't make sense for me to book a mileage ticket in coach to Europe given the cheap fares. However, I am very discouraged by recent business availability. I have booked a trip to in business for two to Europe (be it Spring or Fall) every year for the past 5 years. It got much worse when Delta/Air France/KLM left, but this past 6 months to a year, it has been harder yet (save occasional Condor). I was hopeful when Finnair first joined as I was able to snag a couple seats out of LAX, but as of late, availability, for me (maybe anecdotal) has been next to nothing. This is looking 330 days out (and checking back) and using expert flyer for two separate trips I have tried to book. Perhaps British's new J product will make it a better option, but I can't stomach paying those fees and miles for their current offering.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Search on AA advanced and select AA only flights. Might be complicated by AA married segments.

I see an 8/11 PSP-(Y)-SEA-(J)-FRA (AS/DE)
8/11 LAX-SEA-FRA
8/13 PHX-SEA-FRA

ETA:
9/9 PHX-FRA

Last edited by skimthetrees; Apr 19, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
ExpertFlyer searches and award alerts support AA and BA but not Icelandic or Condor. Here's a link to list of carriers supported:

https://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do

If you want to fly AA in Business TATL you need a flexible schedule - not so much looking at the 330-day window but setting EF alerts for inventory that may come available <15 days before travel.

Originally Posted by RetiredSFOATC
Example: If I search for SEA-FRA (DE), it won't give me nonstop availability in Business (routes me through PDX), but when I search for PDX-FRA, it wants to route me though SEA. So technically, the business seats from either PDX or SEA are available, but it just wants to make life difficult, I guess.
That is married segment availability. It is practiced for awards by DL, AA and UA, too.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I tend to travel to Europe during the summers and my solution has been to use other mileage/points currencies and book 10-11 months in advance. You’re late to the game when you book for peak season only 3-4 months in advance using points.

This year i transferred MR to avios and booked the aer lingus flight between SEA and DUB. Surcharges on Aer Lingus aren’t as expensive as BA.

I save my AS miles for other trips - mainly Asia these days.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Keep in mind that Icelandair booking using Alaska miles is currently not functioning, and Alaska is working on the problem. It has not been functional for the past week and has been removed from booking engine. It will return as soon as the problem is resolved.

Mileage levels will also be raised effective May 1, 2019.

As for AA, AA flies to a few more cities beside FRA. I'd suggest being flexible on that side of the pond as well. I recently found space on Berlin (TXL) via PHL.

Jiburi
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, AA, HiltonHonors
Thanks to everyone for these intriguing and helpful thoughts. I will be processing, and likely will have some further questions. It seems like things might loosen up when FI and AS get their booking issues straightened out. Without them onboard, the J and F choices really are limited - near non-existent, in fact. But I appreciate the tips - and am always interested in further suggestions.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The real issue with booking on AA is that you can't connect on to anywhere on the same award.

If you have AA miles, I highly recommend using those since you can connect on any OW partner for no additional miles, which gives you a LOT more options -- you can basically get to anywhere in Europe.

Of course if you actually want to visit a city that AA flies to directly, this is moot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.