Search

Crediting Codeshare Flight Nuances

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asia Miles
Crediting Codeshare Flight Nuances

Hi everyone!

I had a question regarding crediting codeshare flights to Alaska Airlines.

I bought a flight on AA and from HKG to SFO, it was a codeshare AA operated by CX on booking class V, which earns 75% on AA but 50% on CX. However, I was told by airline representatives from AS that they base it off the operating carrier (CX) so I was awarded 50% of the miles from that flight.

However, looking at my boarding pass, it seems as if I flew on Y class of CX, which is 100% of miles. I gave AS a call about this and they told me that my receipt says V class so they are awarding at V class, despite what my boarding pass says.

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience or workarounds regarding this because another ~3.5k miles would be pretty useful. I am sure that sometimes booking classes from one airline don't exist in another so it's even possible to get 0% of miles flown.

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by caramelisyummu
Hi everyone!

I bought a flight on AA and from HKG to SFO, it was a codeshare AA operated by CX on booking class V, which earns 75% on AA but 50% on CX. However, I was told by airline representatives from AS that they base it off the operating carrier (CX) so I was awarded 50% of the miles from that flight.

However, looking at my boarding pass, it seems as if I flew on Y class of CX, which is 100% of miles. I gave AS a call about this and they told me that my receipt says V class so they are awarding at V class, despite what my boarding pass says.

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience or workarounds regarding this because another ~3.5k miles would be pretty useful. I am sure that sometimes booking classes from one airline don't exist in another so it's even possible to get 0% of miles flown.

Thank you so much!
I suspect that “Y” on the boarding pass refers to the cabin, not the booking class. You should check your original receipts/itineraries from CX, if you still have access to them.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by caramelisyummu
Hi everyone!

Thank you so much!
As you mention, the two carriers' fare buckets don't align 100%; some sort of mapping between fares exist, so AA R may very well correspond to a CX fare that isn't R, and AS should have some visibility into that underlying fare, similar to the way they're able to determine the underlying fares of upgrades. As an example, I had a BA-operated, AA-marketed segment a few years ago, in a bucket that then earned 100% according to the AA chart (when all AA economy fares did) but would've been 25% if it were that same designation on BA. Actual credit received was 50%. So I'd get in touch with AS customer service again.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
V fare would not map to full Y. AS goes off receipt so you may be out of luck. Many carriers just put the generic cabin designation vs actual booking class. Next time try to avoid the codeshare
eponymous_coward and ashill like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
I had the same thing with BA's PE. The boarding pass says "W" but the actual booking class is "T".
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:30 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
This is quite common with international carriers (especially in Asia) – the boarding pass will show something like Y/M (Main) for Economy, W for premium economy, J/C for Business, and F for First regardless of booking class.

You’d probably know if you booked a full Y fare because it would have been astronomically expensive relative to normal pricing on your route (for reference, I just checked a Y class fare on United for SFO-HKG in the summer and it’s $4600 round trip).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Asia Miles
Ohhh I see! Thank you so much everyone for your advice
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
apropos of nothing, I misread the thread title as "Crediting Code-Share Flight Nuisances" which it seems would have also been appropriate
CalanMan likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:37 pm

I'm not sure about codeshare flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.