Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Chase Ultimate Rewards AS Ticket and MVPG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Ultimate Rewards AS Ticket and MVPG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan

I’m sure you personally, and many other FT posters, can get more than 1.5c per point via transfers, but for the average person it’s almost impossible to consistently do that. Airfares are too low these days. Maybe a typical person could get it by booking holiday tickets in Y 330 days in advance...I don’t what award availability looks like at that point.

Also consider that even TPG, whose business model literally depends on convincing consumers that credit card points are extremely valuable, still only values flexible rewards points at 1.7 to 2.0 cents per point.
If you stay at hotels when you travel, Hyatt points probably provide better value than the portal. Redemptions in the 2.5-3.5c range are common, even at less expensive properties.

If you ever have to book last minute domestic travel, you can definitely find much better value. Saver space can be available on the day of travel, but cheap fares have advance purchase requirements. For example, I'm flying SFO-PHX on UA next Saturday (in 7 days). I bought my ticket weeks ago so I got it for under $90 each way. Saturday is a light travel day so all the fare classes are wide open (9+ in each bucket). But, to buy that ticket today would be $240 each way due to advance purchase requirements on cheap fares. There is also saver space so I can get it for 10k miles + $30. That's a savings of $210 for 10k miles, ie, 2.1c per mile. Also, this is 7 days out -- we are not talking about walk-up fares here. Anything inside 7 days is $360 (3.3c/mile). This is not a contrived situation -- it's extremely common. Any time you are booking a flight less than 21 days out (when the cheapest fares often expire) you should always check for award space and see whether it's a better deal than cash.

So, while long-haul premium-cabin international flights tend to be the best value, there are plenty of other options that, while not as good, are still better than 1.5c and match most people's travel plans.
PlowJockey likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you stay at hotels when you travel, Hyatt points probably provide better value than the portal. Redemptions in the 2.5-3.5c range are common, even at less expensive properties.
Interesting, I'll have to check it out next time. But TPG only values Hyatt points at 1.7 cents, and they have every incentive to overstate, not understate, the value of points (it's literally in their name).

If you ever have to book last minute domestic travel, you can definitely find much better value.
Agreed, but most people don't (unless flying for business, in which case the employer/client pays).
williwaw likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
This is really good to know, I and 75k & CSP holder. Won’t make that mistake ! Sorry OP
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by williwaw
Last October I booked a roundtrip PDX-JFK flight using Chase UR points. I ended up needing to return sooner so I purchased a cash return flight and cancelled the UR travel ticket. I decided to try and book a new ticket today using that remaining UR value. I was hoping the MVPG status would make this easier but UR is unable to verify status and say they need to charge the change fee and suggest I follow up with AS for a refund.
Sound like UR's contract with AS does not permit the waiver, which is unfortunate. However, the rationale provided for charging you the fee was flat out wrong--AS provides a tool for travel agents to verify whether a customer qualifies for a free exchange.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:49 pm
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
I wish I had seen this thread last week. I use UR to book cheap, non-work tickets. I was hoping to shift a ticket I booked last week by a day, but can't.

Fortunately, it was a rather cheap one-way. I'll book the flight I want, and decide later which one to take. This seems pretty sub-optimal.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There is also saver space so I can get it for 10k miles + $30. That's a savings of $210 for 10k miles, ie, 2.1c per mile. Also, this is 7 days out -- we are not talking about walk-up fares here.
Are you Premier Gold on United? The cash co-pay for that flight should be about $80 for general members, due to the $75 close-in booking fee. Brings it down to 1.6c per mile, which is competitive with using the UR portal for 1.5cpm. If you value having United (or other Star Alliance) RDMs, that could make the UR portal the better option, since the UR portal purchases a revenue ticket that would earn you another ~1000 RDM on UA, so you're net talking about saving $160 for 11k (net) miles, which is 1.45c per mile.

I realize that was all about UA, and this is an AS forum and thread, but my point is not to knock the OP for wanting to cash out UR at 1.5cpm on Alaska.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Are you Premier Gold on United? The cash co-pay for that flight should be about $80 for general members, due to the $75 close-in booking fee. Brings it down to 1.6c per mile, which is competitive with using the UR portal for 1.5cpm. If you value having United (or other Star Alliance) RDMs, that could make the UR portal the better option, since the UR portal purchases a revenue ticket that would earn you another ~1000 RDM on UA, so you're net talking about saving $160 for 11k (net) miles, which is 1.45c per mile.

I realize that was all about UA, and this is an AS forum and thread, but my point is not to knock the OP for wanting to cash out UR at 1.5cpm on Alaska.
Yes, I'm Gold (matched from AS!) It was $30. Comparing apples to apples here (Gold with both programs)

I'm not knocking anyone. I'm just saying that for most people, there is better value to be found if you know where to look. It's very general advice, and I think it's good advice, and also a big part of the point of FT (maximizing the value of pts and miles)
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I'm well known in my household for satisficing (vs. maximization) behaviors.... no slight at all.
PlowJockey likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anybody used UR points for an AS ticket and dealt with changes since change fees went away? I'm sitting on a pile of UR points and am starting to look at booking with them. With the dummy booking I started with it looks like the Expedia engine doesn't show as many flights and flight combinations as the AS engine to start with. When you get to the end it gives a notice that you can make free changes, but you can't cancel (even for F tickets) past the 24 hour window. Presumably the free changes to differently priced tickets will lead to additional points charges/refunds, but they don't state it clearly.

And another kind of trivial question about the UR booking - with as far as I went, it didn't have a place to put a mileage plan number. Is there a point in the engine where you do that or do you have to do it post booking?
Old May 30, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Has anybody used UR points for an AS ticket and dealt with changes since change fees went away? I'm sitting on a pile of UR points and am starting to look at booking with them. With the dummy booking I started with it looks like the Expedia engine doesn't show as many flights and flight combinations as the AS engine to start with. When you get to the end it gives a notice that you can make free changes, but you can't cancel (even for F tickets) past the 24 hour window. Presumably the free changes to differently priced tickets will lead to additional points charges/refunds, but they don't state it clearly.

And another kind of trivial question about the UR booking - with as far as I went, it didn't have a place to put a mileage plan number. Is there a point in the engine where you do that or do you have to do it post booking?
Ever since Chase introduced the "Pay Yourself Back" which allows 150% redemption (statement credit) on many purchases I don't redeem points for travel any longer. Too many hassles and problems getting batted back and forth between AS, Expedia and Chase. I get the same 1.5X value on my points in a few clicks. fwiw, this thread and most posts were prior to this Chase promotion.
williwaw and mtnsider like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
Ever since Chase introduced the "Pay Yourself Back" which allows 150% redemption (statement credit) on many purchases I don't redeem points for travel any longer. Too many hassles and problems getting batted back and forth between AS, Expedia and Chase. I get the same 1.5X value on my points in a few clicks. fwiw, this thread and most posts were prior to this Chase promotion.
I didn't even notice that there was a 1.5x bonus on some pay yourself back categories- thanks for pointing that out! I just did a bunch of them, but still will be sitting on a pile of points to spend.
mtofell likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: AS 75K
I didn't even notice that there was a 1.5x bonus on some pay yourself back categories- thanks for pointing that out! I just did a bunch of them, but still will be sitting on a pile of points to spend.
Yeah, it's a killer deal. I run two Chase cards - one for my business, one for personal. I accumulate far more points on the business card and can xfer them over to personal and get the 1.5X on top of the great % I already got on the business card purchases. I've always been surprised Chase allows that.

I do kind of miss having a pile of points to splurge on travel but I don't miss the Chase/Expedia travel portal.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:01 am

I had a chance fighting against some UR call center agent who insist I cannot get my ticket value back. It was so frustrated so I hang up and called Alaska instead. Got a great agent and she processed everything refund in under five minutes.
williwaw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.