Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA flights booked through Alaska - qualifying miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

If I book an AA flight through the Alaska site, do the EQM miles count as Alaska miles or as Alaska partner miles?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
It counts as Alaska miles.
Nevermind, correct information below

Last edited by eddiehuang97; Jan 18, 2019 at 1:01 pm Reason: wrong info
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by jimikim
If I book an AA flight through the Alaska site, do the EQM miles count as Alaska miles or as Alaska partner miles?
Partner miles.

Miles earned on American Airlines operated flights purchased as Alaska Airlines flights AS4000-4799, AS6000-6999, AS8001-8199, or AS8201-8999 will count toward elite status in the partner category.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Just because it is booked through the Alaska site does not mean the segments earn miles. There are plenty of instances --say SFO to BDL where the first flight/s are on Alaska and then the connecting one is solely an AA flight number. If that segment in question is a domestic flight with an AA flight number, no credit is earned.

It is not like UA's system where you can book a ticket through the UA site on Avianca issued as a 016 ticket and get award miles, PQM, PDQ.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Jan 18, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I just booked ROC>ORD>SEA through Expedia and got the AS flight number (in the right range) for the ROC>ORD. Searching through the Alaska website only came up with the AA flight number for that leg. Price was exactly the same on both sites.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tuna Tuna
I just booked ROC>ORD>SEA through Expedia and got the AS flight number (in the right range) for the ROC>ORD. Searching through the Alaska website only came up with the AA flight number for that leg. Price was exactly the same on both sites.
Are you clicking through to the confirm-before-starting-checkout phase, or just looking at search results? Because the former will show an AS codeshare flight number in parentheses. Years ago I was able to purchase AS itineraries with a non-codeshare AA segment, but my understanding is that they're not selling any AA flights that way anymore.

Last edited by jinglish; Jan 18, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tuna Tuna
That's just the confusing way alaska.com displays the flight - if you click through to the purchase page, it'll show AA xxxx as the flight number, with AS xxxx in parentheses next to it. The website is actually selling the AS codeshare, not the native AA number.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Just because it is booked through the Alaska site does not mean the segments earn miles. There are plenty of instances --say SFO to BDL where the first flight/s are on Alaska and then the connecting one is solely an AA flight number. If that segment in question is a domestic flight with an AA flight number, no credit is earned.

It is not like UA's system where you can book a ticket through the UA site on Avianca issued as a 016 ticket and get award miles, PQM, PDQ.
If an AA flight shows on AS website, I thought that meant it was guaranteed to be a code-share?

In your example, I found that both the AA legs are AS code shares. On the flight list it shows the AA #, but if you add it to cart it shows the code-share:

While this phrase from the old AA update doesn't guarantee all flights on alaskaair.com are code-shares, it certainly seems to insinuate it IMO (emphasis mine):
"You’ll still have lots of eligible American flights with an Alaska “AS” flight number to choose from in and out of Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles and Phoenix. As always, you can find eligible flights on alaskaair.com."

It'd be pretty crummy experience for me to buy a flight directly from alaskaair.com and not get code-share credit. Has anyone seen actual examples of this?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nearlysober
It'd be pretty crummy experience for me to buy a flight directly from alaskaair.com and not get code-share credit. Has anyone seen actual examples of this?
If you search for a route where AS has no flights (operated or codeshare), it'll show non-codeshare options.

For example, if you search SEA-PVD, AS.com will display an AS to PHL connecting to AA to PVD option, even though AS doesn't codeshare on PHL-PVD. On the purchase page, no AS codeshare number would appear in parentheses. It also shows a warning message after search:
  • Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles no longer accrue on domestic American Airlines and all Delta Airlines flights listed below due to recent partnership changes.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
If you search for a route where AS has no flights (operated or codeshare), it'll show non-codeshare options.
You don't even have to limit it to that. I frequently search PDX-SLC and get itineraries with DL flights, which is not even a partner. They only tend to show up when viewing the options by price, but they are there.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nearlysober
If an AA flight shows on AS website, I thought that meant it was guaranteed to be a code-share?
There is no guarantee that a flight that just because a flight shows up on the Alaska site with an AA flight number is a code share. You have to check each one and click through to ensure it is really a code share. If you buy it through a 3rd party, that does not explicitly have only an AS flight number you will get no credit. Like if you went SFO-SNA on Alaska and SNA-DFW-TLH on AA no code share appears--even after you add it to the card. Same with SFO-DCA on AS connecting to AA to SAV. The moral of the story is never assume you will get credit. You have to check each segment carefully to ensure you are actually purchasing a code share and not just an AA segment.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
You have to check each segment carefully to ensure you are actually purchasing a code share and not just an AA segment.
You mean... just pay attention during the purchase process like you should be doing anyway?
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
A separate but related question: I booked an Alaska flight on AA's website so I have the AA PNR and AA flight number. How do I get the Alaska PNR so I can go on their site to choose seats?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chenalex
A separate but related question: I booked an Alaska flight on AA's website so I have the AA PNR and AA flight number. How do I get the Alaska PNR so I can go on their site to choose seats?
If the AS Record Locator is not listed on your AA confirmation letter, call AA. They will be able to give it to you. Going the other way, booking AA through AS will provide AA seat maps and the ability to choose seats. Not sure if the reciprocal is true if booking AA with AS segments.

James.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond

If you book via alaskaair.com, will they sell you an AA ticket (for cash, not for miles) that doesn't have an AS codeshare number? That would seem to be what this boils down to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.