Search

Do AS and CX interline pretty well?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Do AS and CX interline pretty well?

Hi! Newbie here!
I'm planning a trip to Asia and on my return leg, I will be flying HKG-SEA on a redemption business class ticket on CX, arriving at 2100H. The last flight to Pasco, WA on AS leaves at around 2325H.
I have never connected international through SEA or used AS in conjunction with an international flight. Is the above even doable, given that they will have to be separate tickets? (CX = mileage redemption; AS = paid out of pocket) I imagine I would still have to claim my bags, go through customs and re-check them. Should I perhaps just stay overnight in Seattle and get the first flight out to PSC?
Thanks for any info!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:45 pm

You'll have no problem. If you wish, AS will sell you the SEA-PSC leg and append it to your MP redemption.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Aeroplan
Not only will AS sell you the SEA-PSC leg, if it's available as an MP flight, they will add it to your CX flight and it can be seamless.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I ask why you are paying cash for your domestic leg? You can add it to your award ticket for free. Unless I'm not understanding what you are doing...

The award is HKG to anywhere in US (not just gateways). You can connect on AS to get to your final destination as part of the award.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:47 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The award is HKG to anywhere in US (not just gateways). You can connect on AS to get to your final destination as part of the award.
Only if there is Saver “w” class available... seems more often than not AS is not making it available recently
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Can I ask why you are paying cash for your domestic leg? You can add it to your award ticket for free. Unless I'm not understanding what you are doing...

First, my home airport does not pop up on the Cathay web site - Pasco, WA (PSC).

Second, I am redeeming AsiaMiles through Marco Polo Club (CX web site). I am having to top up miles just to be able to redeem SEA-HKG-SEA, hence purchasing the separate PSC-SEA-PSC.

I am actually visiting BKK and TPE on this trip and if I add those to my itinerary, the booking becomes "waitlisted" instead of confirmed. I think I am going to end up purchasing those legs as well. (I am actually now just tempted to pay for a business class ticket all the way on Delta. LOL )
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
MP is Marco Polo for you on CX... Mileage Plan for us flying AS...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hikouki
First, my home airport does not pop up on the Cathay web site - Pasco, WA (PSC).

Second, I am redeeming AsiaMiles through MP. I am having to top up miles just to be able to redeem SEA-HKG-SEA, hence purchasing the separate PSC-SEA-PSC.
Sorry, I don't understand. How do you redeem AsiaMiles though MileagePlan? What does that even mean?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
MP is Marco Polo for you on CX... Mileage Plan for us flying AS...
Ohhhhh that makes a lot more sense.

So to put the AS flight on the same ticket wouldn't CX have to sell it? (I actually don't understand how the whole ticket stock thing works)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I don't understand. How do you redeem AsiaMiles though MileagePlan? What does that even mean?
I just edited my post above. I didn't realize the AS frequent flyer is also "MP."

By "MP" on my original post, I actually meant Marco Polo Club, as edited above.
beckoa likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Ohhhhh that makes a lot more sense.

So to put the AS flight on the same ticket wouldn't CX have to sell it? (I actually don't understand how the whole ticket stock thing works)
As stated above, "Pasco" (PSC) does not pop up on the menu whether you make a revenue booking, or make a redemption booking on the CX web site. I suppose CX does not codeshare with AS on that route??? (and funny that everyone else does - CI, BR, JL, NH, etc)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hikouki
As stated above, "Pasco" (PSC) does not pop up on the menu whether you make a revenue booking, or make a redemption booking on the CX web site. I suppose CX does not codeshare with AS on that route??? (and funny that everyone else does - CI, BR, JL, NH, etc)
Easiest way is to put the whole itinerary into Google flights and see who it lets you click through to buy from
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google flights only offers to let you book this through AA. So I'm guessing that CX can't sell this?

I'm not sure if that's 100% definitive though.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've interlinked several times AS to CX and CX to AS with no issue ^

Will need to claim your bag in the United States and drop it off at the appropriate counter.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
You can also call CX to see if they can sell it on their end. The wait times for the US number tend to be really long, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.