Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Finally, a true competitor to Alaska transcon F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally, a true competitor to Alaska transcon F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
WN's longest flight, BWI-OAK, doesn't compete with any of the US3, B6, or AS. WN can't compete on most transcons, so they don't offer them. They don't fly any route where another airline offers a lie-flat service, but AS does. Plus, WN is way more concerned about NK, especially at BWI.
BWI-OAK 2,441 mi
EWR-OAK 2,549 mi
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
and yet, AS has made no bones about the FACT that they are chasing the higher end leisure travelers that travel frequently and are willing to spend a little more for a chance at an upgrade to a seat with more legroom in coach or in First Class.
This might work out of SEA, which is oversaturated with elites, but I doubt it will work anywhere else. I have a high upgrade frequency out of SFO even buying T and R fares; why should I spend 50-100% more on instant upgrade fares?

I agree that going lie-flat probably won't work out well for AS. If anything I'd go the opposite direction to be more asymmetric (like WN, but not as extreme). With the same spacing that UA is using on the 78J, AS could easily fit those seats in a 2-3 config in the A320 cabin. Even better would be 2-2 in an A220 cabin. In either case they could price at about half the cost of a lie-flat and still offer a product that, for daytime flights, would not be that much worse.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
But like WN, AS's future is one where transcons make up a very small share of ASMs. They'll just keeping pounding SFO-California + Las Vegas with capacity and building up PAE-West Coast long before they'll do something about the front of the plane on their thin transcon schedule.
There are some midcon routes + SJC/SAN where their hard product is arguably better than competitors (think AA Oasis with 36" pitch in F).

Also, PAE is pretty hard capped for growth at two gates. That's by design, much like DAL. It will help with taking pressure off SEA for some things, but it's not meant to be a real alternate.

Originally Posted by milypan
This might work out of SEA, which is oversaturated with elites, but I doubt it will work anywhere else. I have a high upgrade frequency out of SFO even buying T and R fares; why should I spend 50-100% more on instant upgrade fares?
Presumably that won't last forever once folks figure it out and AS acquires more elites in CA markets.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Not sure what VX has to do with the competition at present as obviously they are gone and whatever margins they had pre-Mint have only gotten worse on these routes since AS took over.

At some point rather than dwelling on the past, you have to face the reality of the present
Ummmm. You were the one that brought up VX's outstanding margins on many of these routes. Maybe it's you that should face the reality of the present - VX's margins weren't enough that they could survive as a stand alone entity. Their Board of Directors shopped them out because they were tired of throwing money into a fire.

In case you forgot:

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
AS also retreated from SFO-FLL when Mint killed the profitability on that. AS is likely to cut more of these premium routes or have to live with much lower margins than VX used to get.
Snowdevil likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Presumably that won't last forever once folks figure it out and AS acquires more elites in CA markets.
I agree it’s not sustainable, but I’m not sure that over-saturation of AS elites is what ends it, at least not as the airline is currently structured. Their network ex-SFO is quite bad, so it’s not attractive to most business travelers. Forget UA, their network is arguably worse than AA or DL. And they’ll be expanding the F cabin from 8 to 12/16, which will soak up some elite growth.

I think the more likely end is via a merger that meaningfully changes their network or strategy.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree it’s not sustainable, but I’m not sure that over-saturation of AS elites is what ends it, at least not as the airline is currently structured. Their network ex-SFO is quite bad, so it’s not attractive to most business travelers. Forget UA, their network is arguably worse than AA or DL. And they’ll be expanding the F cabin from 8 to 12/16, which will soak up some elite growth.

I think the more likely end is via a merger that meaningfully changes their network or strategy.
Who’s the DOJ going to let merge with them? Outside of B6 there is nobody left who wouldn’t be getting massive concentration/eliminating major competition in a market.

I do love the “clearly worst airline that ever airlined” we keep coming back to, though.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... love the “clearly worst airline that ever airlined” we keep coming back to, though.
who is this “we” of whom you speak? seems like just the regular handful of overly nostalgic VX alumni who are still in denial as to the financial/economic realities behind the AS acquisition of their beloved airline
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone who follows a thread and has these points come up over and over again?

Look, I get it. I liked the white leather seats too. I don’t adore the consolidation in the industry. “Blah Airlines” was cute.

But FT generally underweights LCCs and overweights premium cabins. It’s what we do because we’re not “kettles”. Meanwhile airlines drool over the money NK and FR make on ancillaries.
jinglish and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:51 am

Who’s the DOJ going to let merge with them? Outside of B6 there is nobody left who wouldn’t be getting massive concentration/eliminating major competition in a market.

Yes, my assumption is that the most likely eventual tie-up is B6 + AS. But who knows.

I do love the “clearly worst airline that ever airlined” we keep coming back to, though.
I don’t think they’re a bad airline. I just think they have an uncompetitive network ex-SFO. That’s an objective fact. It doesn’t mean they’re going out of business.

I am willing, for the moment, to take routings like SFO-PDX-ATL or “SFO-AUS-drive to Houston” or “SFO-ORD-Saluki (Amtrak) to CMI.” But I realize that puts me in a very small minority of travelers, frequent or otherwise. So I just don’t see massive elite growth materializing in the near future. Unless your travel is focused on PNW, SoCal, and NYC, the routes and frequencies ex-SFO just aren’t there.

Also, for the record, I did not fly VX pre-merger.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just think they have an uncompetitive network ex-SFO.
Their network ex-SFO isn't any worse than ex-LAX, ex-SJC, ex-SAN- heavy on PNW, Mexico and Hawaii, light on flying into US3 territory like ATL/IAH/MSP. If anything in SFO their network is better than LAX/SJC/SAN; they just don't try and do 3x into a US 3 midcon hub where they have ZERO connectivity beyond it. I don't think they're planning on leaving those other cities either; AS seems to think they can make those work by grinding it out bit by bit. And that was also largely what VX did as well- it's not like they ever had ATL/IAH/MSP/DTW/CLE service... if anything AS has been willing to try things like SFO-BNA/MCI or LAX/SAN-BWI that VX never did (I always wondered why "California's airline" never tried much of anything outside of SFO/LAX in California, except for SJC-LAX, which everyone and their uncle flies for garbage yields).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The point is that AS does have a differentiated offering on these routes. They were the only ones selling a domestic F seat. But they are charging the same as lieflat.

This is an issue that is hitting several airlines on several routes, not just AS. B6 has lieflat on NYC-LAS and NYC-SAN. Hawaiian has lieflat on some West Coast - Hawaii routes. Now of course we can sit here and theorize that AS has a wonderful strategy and they're very smart, and the Big3 have a wonderful strategy against B6 on these routes. In reality airlines have 3 options:

(1) Ignore the lieflat competition and see if elites stick with them for y-ups etc
(2) Exit the route
(3) Charge less for domestic F than lieflat

We are seeing a lot of #1 , a bit of #2 and very little #3 . However, I think we are going to start to see some #3 . Lieflat is becoming more prevalent with B6 Mint expansion, buyers are becoming more sophisticated with tools like Google flights that show seat type, and now we have the new development that airlines are starting to fly domestic scheduled service with wide bodies that have both lieflat and domestic F on the same aircraft.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:14 pm

Their network ex-SFO isn't any worse than ex-LAX, ex-SJC, ex-SAN- heavy on PNW, Mexico and Hawaii, light on flying into US3 territory like ATL/IAH/MSP....AS seems to think they can make those work by grinding it out bit by bit.
As I said, the AS network is uncompetitive ex-SFO. SFO has 56 million annual passengers, while SJC has 12 million. If you hold the number of flights you operate constant, your network will be more competitive at a much smaller airport.

Regardless, I'm not saying that they can't "make it work." I'm simply saying that I wouldn't expect them to capture a large number of "elites" ex-SFO. I suspect they don't capture them ex-LAX either, but I'm less familiar with that market.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
I am willing, for the moment, to take routings like SFO-PDX-ATL or “SFO-AUS-drive to Houston” or “SFO-ORD-Saluki (Amtrak) to CMI.
Emphasis mine. IMHO, you really, really, really need to re-evaluate your commitment to AS and/or its loyalty program. Does your time have no value to you?
PotomacApproach likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPeter
We are seeing a lot of #1 , a bit of #2 and very little #3 . However, I think we are going to start to see some #3 .
I suspect you're right. The US3 are aggressively pursuing FCM, so it's hard to see AS bucking that trend indefinitely. And if they've got a less competitive product on these routes, that only increases the pressure to discount it. Lower prices (and thus more paid F tickets) could put more pressure on upgrades ex-SFO than a swelling of the elite ranks.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Emphasis mine. IMHO, you really, really, really need to re-evaluate your commitment to AS and/or its loyalty program. Does your time have no value to you?

For AUS, it was actually only a half hour longer. It was a 2h15m drive from AUS to our destination, but it takes almost an hour to drive from IAH to our destination (a southwestern suburb), SFO-IAH is 40 minutes longer than SFO-AUS (gate-to-gate), and it just takes longer to navigate through IAH itself and get the car. My wife was initially skeptical, but after doing it once she's on board.

For CMI, I was going to lose the whole day to travel regardless. Fortunately I can work pretty much anywhere I can sit, be it the train or the airport lounge. Plus I just like the train.
flatdawgs and Flying for Fun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.