Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why Does AS App Not Book GGUs? (App Not Able to Store/Retrieve/Apply Codes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Does AS App Not Book GGUs? (App Not Able to Store/Retrieve/Apply Codes)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Do you not get "remove" as an option when you swipe left on it in the app???
You only have the option to remove a reservation that was manually added to the app. Anything booked through the app or website, while logged-in to your mileage account, will add the reservation to your list of upcoming trips even if you’re not a passenger. Customer Care is also unable to remove them. Someone posted about it on FT previously too.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Legend717
Yes, because if there's anything missing in my life, it's the ability to hold my iPad PRO up at the gate to scan my boarding pass.
UA has an iPad app, and I used it all the time. Not for boarding, but for booking, managing reservations, etc.

I’d definitely prefer an AS iPad app over the ability to book Y tickets on SQ using AS miles, when paid RT TPAC fares are often <$600 anyway. You’ll probably be lucky to get more than 1 cpm in value in many cases.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's certainly a race between the Sun becoming a red giant by exhausting hydrogen burning and AS adding SQ awards. Well over a year now. I suspect they'll add AM awards first.
They promised it would be done in fall. Fortunately they didn't specify which fall, so they are right on schedule.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
A lot of people here seem to love the AS app, but I find it quirky at best and out of date in a lot of areas

First and foremost, it knows about every type of upgrade *except* for Gold Guest Upgrades. Why won't it sell those??
You mean you have found a way to use GGUs at all? My most recent attempt to use one of the nine that I have now accumulated in my account for any number of routings out of PDX yielded almost zero availability out at/near the 330 day frontier...you know, just enough to give AS an argument that promoting them isn't an outright violation of Oregon's Unlawful Trade Practices Act. None on any transcon nonstops or leisure routes, a handful on awkward connections at an exorbitant fare and another few on redeye connections. Helluvajob, you frugal devils.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mczlaw
You mean you have found a way to use GGUs at all? My most recent attempt to use one of the nine that I have now accumulated in my account for any number of routings out of PDX yielded almost zero availability out at/near the 330 day frontier...you know, just enough to give AS an argument that promoting them isn't an outright violation of Oregon's Unlawful Trade Practices Act. None on any transcon nonstops or leisure routes, a handful on awkward connections at an exorbitant fare and another few on redeye connections. Helluvajob, you frugal devils.
We put 26 to very good use last year. Transcons, leisure, multi-segment, Costa Rica, Mexico and Hawaii on daytime flights twice. We have 18 more for this year. Oregon was in the mix too. If you have zero flexibility no FF or Loyalty program is right for you.

James

James
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I just booked four out of PDX this week, two to MCO and two to EWR, with flights in February and April. They are almost always available to SJD and PVR too from PDX.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
We put 26 to very good use last year. Transcons, leisure, multi-segment, Costa Rica, Mexico and Hawaii on daytime flights twice. We have 18 more for this year. Oregon was in the mix too. If you have zero flexibility no FF or Loyalty program is right for you.

James
James: I have a slightly better than rudimentary understanding about the need for flexibility using upgrade instruments and award redemptions too. But thanks for that. The tightening down on use of GGUs (and U availability in general) occurred late last year and is well-documented in this forum. Would love to hear how easy it is to use your current stash.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I just booked four out of PDX this week, two to MCO and two to EWR, with flights in February and April. They are almost always available to SJD and PVR too from PDX.
Funny, I was looking at SJD (as I was flying back from there today) specifically and found nothing. Same with EWR. Then I looked at BOS, DCA, PVR to the same effect. Former practice was a couple U seats at the 330 day mark. Maybe there's some new magic I'm not privy to. I was just able to score one PDX-SEA-MSY prior to T-giving, which was nice.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mczlaw
James: I have a slightly better than rudimentary understanding about the need for flexibility using upgrade instruments and award redemptions too. But thanks for that. The tightening down on use of GGUs (and U availability in general) occurred late last year and is well-documented in this forum. Would love to hear how easy it is to use your current stash.
I can't disagree that there were fewer U in the later part of 2018 but I still got U space SJC-KOA and KOA-SAN in December. It does appear, to me at least, that there has been a loosening of U availability going forward. I am looking at a ANC-SEA-LAX-SJO in the Fall that has 2U that would upgrade with a single GGU each. Add in one of those infamous Companion Certificates to sweeten it even more. HNL-ANC available the day prior too.

James
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
... It does appear, to me at least, that there has been a loosening of U availability going forward....

James
I hope you are right....and, back OT, it would be nice if you could use them via the app, too,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.